ForeFlight Mobile + FS 2020 (FlightEvents 2.1.1.0)

Attempting to follow the instructions via here: https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/204115275-How-do-I-connect-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FS-X-or-FS-2004-to-ForeFlight-

However, upon connecting to the same network that my rig is on, my ipad / iphone say “No supported devices connected” and I do not see an option to enable FlightEvents anywhere.

Is there something I’m missing?

EDIT: New HOW-TO Guide Coming soon, here is some information that was posted below (edited here for easy access)

I tested this yesterday and the above mentioned works perfectly. I can publish a step-by-step guide as well, if that helps.

First Steps:

1. Download latest version of FlightEvents, follow install instructions.
  2. Start FlightSim - load into an airport and ALT-TAB to your desktop.
  3. Run FlightEvents as Admin, select slow mode under the “Settings” tab, restart the app.
  4. Select a random call-sign on the “Simulator” tab (whatever you want)

On your ForeFlight device:

1. Connect to the same network that your FlightEvents software is running off of (if it’s your home network, make sure you’re on your home’s wifi for example) and turn off Cell Data (if applicable).
  2. Open ForeFlight
  3. Under “More” (right hand side) click “Devices”
  4. Click the “i” button on the top right corner (usually) to display some network information.
  5. Note the “IP ADDRESS” in the window. Depending on which router you have it will look something like: 192.168.X.X (X being a random number)

In FlightEvents:

1. Under “Settings” - type the above IP Address into the text field underneath the “Broadcast data to local network” box.
  2. Tick the “Broadcast data to local network” box and the type field should now be greyed out.
  3. Click the “Simulator” tab - and select “Start flight tracking”.

Back in ForeFlight:

1. Under the “More” and “Devices” page - you should now see a box called “Flight Events”.
  2. Tap to select the device and click “Enabled”.
  3. Return to your Map view on ForeFlight.

Tab back into your flight session and you should now see your GPS data transmit to your ForeFlight device. Alternatively, you may choose to “Start flight tracking” once you are properly connected to FlightEvents - I’ve tried both ways and it has worked for me.

Download FlightEvents: https://events.flighttracker.tech/
More info on ForeFlight Setup: https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/204115275-How-do-I-connect-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FS-X-or-FS-2004-to-ForeFlight-

Hope this helps anyone. I will post a guide with photos/screenshots soon!

Thanks!

1 Like

I can confirm the same. I thought it might have to do with ios 14 beta, but i’ve since tried it on an ios 13 standard build with identical results.

No supported devices connected.

I am visible on flightevents website, so I know that MS 2020 and FlightEvents are working. My broadcast checkbox is on.

Question, are you using a trial version or full version. I have the trial.

I just resolved the problem. If you untick broadcast and then enter in the ip address of your device and re tick broadcast it works perfectly.

Go to your wifi settings on your device, click the blue i information button and you’ll see your ip4 ip address there.

Hope this works for you!

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll have to give that a shot and report back if that works. Thanks!

any luck? Traffic is quirky. You have to get traffic loading on wifi, then start flight events. If you close out of foreflight you have to repeat.

There’s a guy on reddit who’s developing a tool like flight events, and he’s hoping to incorporate sim traffic instead of real traffic which doesn’t exactly match the sim. Sim real life traffic is way off.

I’m using ForeFlight on my iPad. It works great.
Make sure you have latest flight tracker and follow the instructions for mfs2020. https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/204115275-How-do-I-connect-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FS-X-or-FS-2004-to-ForeFlight-

I used the IP address shown in my iPad settings. That address should be specific to that device.

Hi, I did all the thing you wrote above but I still get no GPS position even I´m correctly connected!
Any clue?

Make sure when the sim is running, go to the Flight Events app and click start flight tracking button. Then Go to the ForeFlight app. select the more tab. select devices. you should see a device there (if no device is there, there is an issue with IP address). select it and enable. also make sure slow mode is checked in the Flight Events app. I hope this helps. These are all the settings I have.

1 Like

I tested this yesterday and the above mentioned works perfectly. I can publish a step-by-step guide as well, if that helps.

First Steps:

1. Download latest version of FlightEvents, follow install instructions.
  2. Start FlightSim - load into an airport and ALT-TAB to your desktop.
  3. Run FlightEvents as Admin, select slow mode under the “Settings” tab, restart the app.
  4. Select a random call-sign on the “Simulator” tab (whatever you want)

On your ForeFlight device:

1. Connect to the same network that your FlightEvents software is running off of (if it’s your home network, make sure you’re on your home’s wifi for example) and turn off Cell Data (if applicable).
  2. Open ForeFlight
  3. Under “More” (right hand side) click “Devices”
  4. Click the “i” button on the top right corner (usually) to display some network information.
  5. Note the “IP ADDRESS” in the window. Depending on which router you have it will look something like: 192.168.X.X (X being a random number)

In FlightEvents:

1. Under “Settings” - type the above IP Address into the text field underneath the “Broadcast data to local network” box.
  2. Tick the “Broadcast data to local network” box and the type field should now be greyed out.
  3. Click the “Simulator” tab - and select “Start flight tracking”.

Back in ForeFlight:

1. Under the “More” and “Devices” page - you should now see a box called “Flight Events”.
  2. Tap to select the device and click “Enabled”.
  3. Return to your Map view on ForeFlight.

Tab back into your flight session and you should now see your GPS data transmit to your ForeFlight device. Alternatively, you may choose to “Start flight tracking” once you are properly connected to FlightEvents - I’ve tried both ways and it has worked for me.

Download FlightEvents: https://events.flighttracker.tech/
More info on ForeFlight Setup: https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/204115275-How-do-I-connect-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FS-X-or-FS-2004-to-ForeFlight-

Hope this helps anyone. I will post a guide with photos/screenshots soon!

It works but gives me stutters same if i use Xmapsy with foreflight

Yeah, patch next week is supposed to fix simconnect stutters.

I have the same issues, shows as connected, but i dont get the GPS position, even thought it was something wrong with ForeFlight, but just tested on P3D and works fine there

When you select “Start flight tracking” (with your sim un-paused) does FS say it is connected to FlightEvents?

I was able to connect Foreflight to MSFS, but as soon as I did, the simulator become far more buggy and unstable than it was before. The sim was already buggy and unstable even without the Foreflight connection, but it got much much worse after the connection.

The sim was frequently and severely stuttering, freezing, and crashing. Sometimes the sim app would crash and sometimes it would crash my entire PC causing a reboot.

Also whenever I was able to fly for a few minutes without all the freezing and crashing, my FPS was averaging only about 15, down by more than half from an average of around 30 to 40 FPS without the Foreflight connection running.

I’m fairly certain that the cause of these issues is due to major compatibility issues between MSFS and an add-in called FSUIPC that is required to make the connection between Foreflight & MSFS work.

I tried a number of fixes to resolve all these stable and FPS drop issues, including various Windows settings, NVIDIA graphics settings, and changing some settings within MSFS, but nothing worked to resolve the issues caused by FSUIPC and the connection between Foreflight & MSFS.

I have since given up on connecting Foreflight to MSFS until the development team fixes the compatible issues between MSFS & FSUIPC.

I read in the recent development update that the development team is fixing the compatibility issues between MSFS and SIMCONNECT in the update patch that’s being rolled out sometime this coming week.

I’m really hoping that whatever the developers are doing to fix the issues with SIMCONNECT will also resolve the issues with Foreflight connecting to MSFS using FSUIPC. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

If anyone on here has a better understanding of what might be causing the issues with SIMCONNECT and Foreflight via FSUIPC, could you let me know if you think that the fix for SIMCONNECT will also fix the issue with FSUIPC and Foreflight? Thanks.

Hmm. Did you make sure you’re running FlightEvents in slow mode? There were reports of stuttering and degrading performance without having that option ticked.

1 Like

The stutters have been fixed by ticking slow mode in flight events. This is for versions 2.1 and up.

1 Like

Well I’m late to the party! This was the fix for me.

Thank you i’ll try that :+1:

Hello everyone.
I did exactly what to do, on my IPad it’s connected but the spot is always at the same location .
Any idea?..
Thank you