FPS tanks as soon as contrails appear

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes (to monitor)

Brief description of the issue:

As soon as I enter atmospheric conditions that produce contrails, FPS tanks and stuttering happens. If I descend to a level where contrails dissapear, the performance shoots right back up. Then Ascend again, contrails appear, and FPS tanks and stutters come back.This happens with any plane. Even tested a c172 just to see, and it happens. GPU utilization drops and mainthread timings double. I dont think its the contrails themselves, but the atmosphere?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

fly up into the flight levels until contrails appear

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

amd 5900x 3080ti. 32gb ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have exactly the same issue. I get around 55 fps until my contrails appear, then my system struggles to even get 30. System specs: Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB RAM, sim installed on SSD. Did you find any solution so far?

Are you on windows 11? I went back to windoed 10 and the problem resolved itself.

Thanks for your reply, but I’m using Win10, now thats weird - it sounded like exactly the same issue

Question for you. When you are on thr world map in the menus and go to load a flight plan by pressing space bar, does the sim get very laggy?

I’ve seen very similar MainThread issues with the F-18, so it may not necessarily be limited to contrails but perhaps other effects as well. The issue with the F-18 has been tagged feedback-logged, but I will upvote this one as well.

The sim runs smooth when doing this

Thanks, yea it’s very likely the same issue. I didn’t fly the F-18 for a while but I just did it to verify and my fps drop to about 15 (usually I get around 55) when doing maneuvers with the aircraft. Whats interesting is that OP in your linked bug report does not get any performance drops with contrails, just the F-18 effects, but I get both, while the decrease in fps with the latter is much worse than the contrails.

Edit: Thanks for your hint considering the HPET in the other bug report. While the cmd commands did not fix the issue in my case, disabling HPET in the Bios did. I get perfect fps now, no matter if its contrails or other effects.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s great news! I hope this is something the developers look into, because most systems will have HPET enabled by default these days, and some BIOS don’t even allow to disable it. However, as far as I’m aware, there are Windows commands that should disable HPET, such as

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

and possibly in combination with

bcdedit /set useplatformtick false

A reboot is required after making this change.

Is the HPET thing specific to windows 11?

No, it isn’t. HPET has been discussed by gamers since Windows Vista/7 at least. For the most part, it was usually fine to let Windows decide which clocks and timers to use, but this could be a bug in flight simulator related to Ryzen CPUs.

Interesting. Really appreciate the insight to HPET. Curiously, I was having this issue on Windows 11, but dont seem to have it on windows 10. I have a ryzen cpu nvidia gpu combo. Glad we have the HPET fix in our back pocket tho. Thanks again

I didn’t see the major FPS hit on my Windows 10 system until I manually forced HPET enabled. By deleting the boot entries (back to what I believe are Windows defaults on my system), the severe FPS drops stopped. However I do still see my MainThread going from green to yellow while pulling up hard in the F-18 (even in cockpit view, which I wouldn’t expect external FX to cause). But just because my graph goes from green to yellow doesn’t mean my FPS drops, because I’m already limiting it to 30 FPS to keep my laptop cooler.

Cheers

Same, once I’ve get a contrail level, I lost ~20fps (from 50 to 30) on a 5800x3d
When I hit warmer air (just like now, while writing this) above Turkey FL330 it’s -35C and contrail disappeared then fps went back straight to ~50

For you guys thanks for the ideas, will try them after landing.

Confirmed. Tested on both PMDG and FENIX, as soon as reaching a level when contrails present, FPS drops from solid 60 to 40ish.

Are you on Windows 11? I reverted back to windows 10 and don’t have the issue any longer.

WIN 10. I disabled contrails for PMDG and FENIX, now everything is back to normal. And engine heat blur too, you can get more fps without engine heat blur.

Hello and happy new year.

How did you remove contrails? i have exactly the same trouble around FL260 30 drops to 10 with flyBywire.

All the best

Just bumping this topic. A year a and a half later. Just reinstalled windows 11 and still getting bigtime drops. I now have a 4090 with FG enabled. During cruise as soon as the contrails appear I’ll be getting 35-40 fps with bigtime artifacts and lag. The second the contrails dissapear, its back to 60-70fps. No idea what causes this within windows 11, but its absolutely a windows 11 issue

2 Likes

no

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

no FPS drop. Tried TAA & DLSS. Do you have any mod installed ? Have you tested with your community folder empty or even better starting in Safe Mode ?
system: Win11/Ryzen 5 3600/RTX 2060 Ultra

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like