Frame Rates down with GPU 25% Usag

I did consult the forum on Frame Rates but no answer to my specific question. I assembled a new system just for the new FS. Ryzen 7 3700 X, Asus Geforce TUF 3060-ti O8G, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB RAM 3000Mhz, Mainboard Asus Roge Strix X570-F Gaming, Dell 2721 D 1440p with G-Sync Ultimate.

Initially I run the FS on a Full HD Monitor. I achieved FR of around 50. CPU Main Thread was limiting. I upgraded the processor to Ryzen 7 5800X. Frame Rates went up to 60. GPU and main Thread were flickering alternatively limiting. V-Sync was on.

Now upgraded to 1440p Monitor with G-Sync Ultimate and HDR enabled. Ultimate Details Setting in FS.

Frame Rate dropped to between 40 and 50 in Ultimate, in High 10 Frames more.

GPU is limiting.

GPU is running max at 25%. Memories with lots of Headroom. GPU Temp at 65 degrees C. CPU below 60 degrees C.

Why is the GPU the limiting factor if its underutilised?

Thanks for your help and insight.

How can the GPU be the limiting factor if its only used 25%

please give us a screenshot on which we can see these 25% load by 65deg C.

Thanks for your reply. How do I produce a Screenshot?

Does this look ok?

Task Manager GPU usage is unreliable, there have been lots of people showing usages of 8-25% where in fact the actual usage is 60%-100%.
Try GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner or HWiNFO64 to check the actual GPU usage.

yes, but partially :)… what you see if you click on the “GPU” ? :slight_smile:

In which direction I will point is what I described sometime within the forum. Latest here:

If you following the links I mentioned somethings like:

don’t be confused with these value of 26% … It shows often only the load of the 3D engine and not other engine on your graphics card.

I give also interessting link which more explain what you see ( MS Blog about Taskmanager ).

this is a wrong statement. You just have to made a correct configuration what the Taskmanager have to show you.

So do you need to show all of: 3D, Copy, Video Encode, Video Decode, Compute_0, Legacy Overlay, Video Processing, Copy 1, Copy 2, Security, Graphics_1, Cuda, Compute_1, VR, Copy 3, Copy 4, Copy 5

… and add them together manually? Naturally what you want it to show the majority of the time is the actual activity of the CUDA cores or equivalent.

you can just not say your GPU is in 100% load :wink:

Important is which engine is used, you can check the mentioned MS Blog if you follow the links.

As example: If I record a video then the video-encoders are used which are abolutly independend of the other GPU engines like 3D renderer, 2D stuff, CUDA cores as you mention it, etc…

Here we see 56 Framerate , limitation by GPU. (Nvidia Geforce experience showing 116…).

Here we see CPU Usage 19%

Here we see GPU Usage 23%.

Why is there a limit in GPU when the usage is only 23%

and you are sure that you read my former post ??

this is, because you have VFR windows externalized.

I realize that the VFR window can consume between 5 and 15 frames, or in other words the FR drops by these values when the VFR window is open.

I assume the GPU usage as shown above includes the VFR window.

Sorry I can‘t follow your argument.

you mixed you the topics… what shadowplay show you ( which window it have in focus ) and the GPU load.

Again… I gave you a link to another thread/post in which a image exactly show you where you have to click that you see the real GPU load. Have you done/tried it ?

EDIT: for your the example with your postet image:

Hi there…

use the tool from xbox game bar. This tools will show you the usageof your cpu, gpu and all memories … it is more realsitic than the task manager … On my task manager, I only use round about 8 % of my gpu … I have a 3090 …

Greets Klaus

possible the former post might then also for your interesst :slight_smile:

Great got the message, thank you. Will try these tools today.

Choosing Grafics Box in the Task Manager in the GPU shows the truth. The GPU shows most of the time 100% Workload. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Initially I run the FS on a Full HD Monitor. I achieved FR of around 50. CPU Main Thread was limiting. I upgraded the processor to Ryzen 7 5800X. Frame Rates went up to 60. GPU and main Thread were flickering alternatively limiting. V-Sync was on.

Now upgraded to 1440p Monitor with G-Sync Ultimate and HDR enabled. Ultimate Details Setting in FS.

Frame Rate dropped to between 40 and 50 in Ultimate, in High 10 Frames more."

you changed from an HD monitor to a 1440 with HDR, this is likely the reason your frames dropped, you’ve increased the resolution that is being outputted to be displayed. Test it out on your old monitor and note the frame rate, plug back in your 1440 and note the new frame rate.
I get 70fps on my old 27inch 1080, i’m getting 27 fps on my 49 inch 4k. The higher the monitor resolution the lower your frames will be.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.