Frame Rates exceeding 100 consistently

Main Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x
Asus TUF RTX 3070 O8 Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000
Alienware AW2721D

When monitoring FPS with Geforce experience I achieve more than 100 with Ultra Setting and render scaling of150. This is flying a Cube X Crafter over Patagonia.

That seems extremely high to me. With Dev. Mode on the frame counter of the Dev. Mode shows A Frame Rate if around 50.

My conclusiom: Either the Dev Mode consumes 50 FPS or the GeForce Counter is wrong.

Anybody with a similar experience?

GeForce is junk. Uninstall it. It messes up your settings and lies about your framerate.

1 Like

Ok. Quite surprised Nvidia relaeases a junk tool.

Which tool do you use to display frame rates?

I use the dev tool, as it is part of the sim. It tells me where the sim is struggling.

I was told to switch it off. It disables the Logbook…

“Alex, I’ll take Problems I Don’t Have for $200 please…”

2 Likes

Maybe both of them are correct. My monitor displays FPS which doesn’t agree with the Developer’s FPS. Where in the pipeline do these FPS counters obtain their information?

The Developers FPS seems to “count” frames based on screen size and on an algorithm based on the amount of time used by the MainThread, RdrTrhead, Manipulators, CoherentGTDraw, and GPU to create frames. Since there is no information from MS/Asobo about the FPS counter, there is no way to assume its accuracy. It does provide valuable insight into the graphics pipeline.

There isn’t very much info about the NVIDIA frame counters. I assume the frame counting is done at the back of the video card where the monitor is plugged in. This frame counter doesn’t provide much detail on MSFS performance or bottlenecks. It is more useful as a benchmarking tool comparing before and after driver upgrades for example.

The monitor frame counter is counting “raw” frames.

All three counters provide valuable insight in context for MSFS because their measurements are at different points in the graphics pipeline.

I used to think that geforce experience was junk but its experimental features are excellent for manipulating the final image with little to no impact on framerate.
It won’t mess up the settings if you tell it not to.
For me it matches exacly the frame rate seen in dev mode.

1 Like

I noticed the same difference and had posted about it. Never did get any clear indication of which one is more accurate.

I have 3 displayed right now :slight_smile:

FS2020 Dev = 30
Geforce Experience = 31
MSI afterburner = 30

All 3 only vary by 1 FPS.

Notice in this screenshot, NVIDIA reporting 87 FPS on Top Left and MS reporting 28.3. I too have three screens. So they don’t always report the same thing. Just like Task Manager, for some people it reports acurate GPU utilization and on mine it usually reports 6% utilization. the VRAM report seems to be accurate. I’m still on NVIDIA driver 461.40 on my RTX 2060 Super.

Do you have some sim windows popped out? GEFORCE adds these FPS together, so main screen on 60 with atc window popped out will give 120, pop out the VFR map too and it will show 180

4 Likes

I have never noticed any difference in the three.

Did his response explain your difference?

Whenever I pop out windows, NVIDIA shows the same number on all windows which match the main full screen simulator.

I do pop out ATC and often the VFR map on a difrent monitor.

My cat is stuck in a tree - I think I might file a bug report!.. :slight_smile:

This isn’t really a bug or issue for Asobo or Microsoft? The guide below should help and please do a search beforehand. I know the community managers do look at all of these posts, so lets help them out, thanks.

1 Like

Interesting Info. Started MS FS. With the airplane on the ground and VFR and NAVLOG windows open the Nvidia FR were well above 100. Closing VFR and NAVLOG, the FR dropped into the early 40ies. I open them again and the FR stay in the early 40ies.

Restart the Game, initial FR start in the 40ies.

Restart the Computer, initial FR start in the 40ies.

Funny enough, restarting the Computer brought a blue screen which i did not have in a very very long time. Maybe just a coincidence, not related(?).

For the moment my conclusion: closing VFR and NAVLOG file has solved the issue.

Otherwise, I do enjoy the Simulator. Compiling Bushtrips with all my actual travels around the world, revisiting all those beautiful places. It refreshes memories that otherwise get lost. There are all those hidden valleys for example in Patagonia, that you cannot acces by car or on foot, now with the FS you can go and have a look. Fantastic game, thanks to ASOBO for realising this.

My very simple self-explenation was: the way the sim is rendering embedded Windows, confuses geforce and it sums um every window.

By running the sim on just 1 display and no additional window (navmap, navlog, w&b, devmode, etc) gives me the same result as in game FPS counter.

When I use 2 displays and / or open an additional window like the vfr map, the Ingame counter stays the same, while geforce doubles.

So for me it was clear, that geforce does not play well with the way the sim is rendering stuff and its results are to be interpreted with caution.

Yes, GeForce Numbers to be questionned when exceeding 60FPS. Closing and reopening windows should bring the proper Franerates.

Otherwise stunning pictures with Ultra Settings and 150 Render Scaling on 1440p. No stuttering at all. No desire for 4k at the moment.

This is 100% accurate with my setup. Exactly this!

Also, check the Nvidia control panel on the vsync line for MSFS. one of those settings (probably called “vsync fast”, translated from my french version) allow the sim to run like Forest Gump on free wheel, even if the Sim have vsync ON and display at your monitor frequency. This allow to have lower inmput latency, which is great for E.g. Racing Sim or Street Fighter Ultimate Ninja Storm Naruto XII or whatever fighting games, but not that useful for fly sim unless you like to make your computer overheat for nothing, or if you have to fix the VR session of MSFS which is weirdly influenced by this monitor settings.