Frametime Spike = Stutter, Every 60 Seconds

I agree, but during flight my max CPU temp is in the low 50c and maintains a stable 4.8 clock. There is no CPU thermal spikes during the stutter.

Real time live traffic makes no notable difference at all on my system. Thanks for the info.

I have seem this as the cause of normal stutters. Basically the main thread is waiting on coherent and does nothing till it responds. Similarly, the coherent thread is also waiting for the main thread to go ahead. Obviously this snowballs till it can recover and this happens randomly (or when you have many waypoints).

This 60 second one is rather like the bushtrip autosave timer, but no file is saved. Maybe they collecting data for ‘telemetry’ or an ‘online check’ and possibly blocking till it gets a response back from the server.

I am at least 150ms (not the fake numbers given in the game) from my nearest server. For others getting this, what are your realistic latency to the server?

It seems a lot more noticable with realtime traffic. In the middle of an ocean, I can hardly detect it.

Is it on Asobo/MS to fix the issue with CoherentGTdraw or can someone create a mod to fix it?

I can confirm the stutter with Real Time Traffic.

Fixed with AIRCRAFT TRAFFIC TYPE = OFF (TRAFFIC MENU)

David

1 Like

If somebody wants to report a bug I’ll vote for it :slight_smile:

Sounds like we actually have two bugs here. One related to real-time traffic and one not.

1 Like

Well, variety of things. As I say from my case I’m affected by manipulators and mainthread.

That said I have seen coherent gt cause a higher frametome on my computer at 60 second intervals. For some reason however with my settings they weren’t noticeable enough.

As a “fix,” at least a temporary one, consider loading up the GPU so that it’s limiting the rate of redrawing the screen instead of the CPU.

Interesting idea, INCREASE the graphics quality to stop the stuttering :sweat_smile: This sounds like a good idea, will give it a shot

@UniformComb9671 Cpu temp is importend

My temperatures are generally pretty low but I do have a new CPU cooler I have not installed. Based on other comments in this thread I don’t think it will make a difference but will give it a shot.

@blueline308 Don’t spend money on replacing PC components just yet.

Definitely agree, so far I have only replaced components I was planning on upgrading anyway. Based on this thread and the various systems having issues I would definitely not take any drastic hardware steps trying to fix this issue.

@DronkeyKlong This 60 second one is rather like the bushtrip autosave timer, but no file is saved. Maybe they collecting data for ‘telemetry’ or an ‘online check’ and possibly blocking till it gets a response back from the server.

I am fairly certain the 60 second thing is not a MSFS issue since it happens whether or not the sim is running (just not noticeable outside of the game unless you are watching your CPU/GPU usage).

Is it on Asobo/MS to fix the issue with CoherentGTdraw or can someone create a mod to fix it?

Possibly both, or neither. The problem is outside of MSFS but is being exacerbated by the sim’s performance… so maybe the sim can be better optimized by Asobo or by a third party, or the OEM of whatever parts/drivers are causing the underlying problem will be able to fix it with an update.

I have not tried turning off real time traffic. I will give that a shot. Whether or not it works, turning off traffic would really detract from the game so I would not think of that as a long term solution.

Try turning off ambient occlusion. It will help reduce the stuttering.

Update: Turning off real time traffic seems to have made the hangs much less severe - Even though I was having the issue regardless of whether other traffic is around, so that is kind of odd. Just the task of checking for traffic or something like that must be a pretty big processor draw.

Although reduced in severity, the issue is still there and enough to affect the experience, so still work to do… I also played a game last night/today that is much more taxing on the GPU and less so on the CPU when compared to MSFS, and I found the 60 second spike much less severe. Usually just a minor drop in frames, with every fourth or fifth spike being enough to cause a small hang - but nothing like I experience in Flight Simulator. Seems whatever the cause is, if it isn’t directly CPU-related, it definitely hits the CPU harder than the GPU.

I am at a loss. Sometimes I think it is MSFS polling something each minute, then I think it is the OS polling something or executing something every minute. There is only so much stuff that I know how to turn off or disable. I read somewhere on Reddit about this issue and disconnecting the USB front panel header fixed it. I tried it, but the spike / stutter was still there. Heck maybe it is a DX11 issue, I just do not know.

2 Likes

At this point I am 100% sure the 60 second interval thing is not MSFS because it happens regardless of what I’m doing. It’s just that it is only noticeable in-game, and MSFS is the worst game for it that I’ve seen (probably because it is so CPU-intensive - that’s my theory anyway, for all the good it does).

But I’m also at a loss. I’ve tried everything I know to look for a process running every 60 seconds on my computer and have had no success yet.

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can runs MSFS in SAFE mode with networking enabled?

FWIW, try using MSFS in offline mode. You probably will have to change from a rolling cache to manual cache. Then turn off the network adapter and/or unplug the network cable if using direct connect. Something may be requesting or sending data at regular intervals. If it is a process outside of MSFS, it might crash or write to the error log without a network.

1 Like

Great idea. I will try this.

I do not use either cache myself. I have tried with cache on and off with no difference, other than with cache off, I get better performance. I have tried offline mode early on…one of the first things that I tried. It won’t hurt to try it again though.

Thanks for the help.

I didn’t know that to using any cache was possible. I learn something new about MSFS every day. Thx!

Well boys, the plot thickens. I downloaded X-Plane 11 demo. I turned all the settings to the max. I flew two 15 minute flights in the C172 G1000. I was getting anywhere from 37 to 108 FPS, depending on where you are looking in external view. If you look straight up at the sky, you will see high FPS of course. When in chase plane view or in the cockpit it averaged around 55 FPS.

Wait for it…there was NO frametime spikes or stutters. Even when the FPS would fluctuate, it was still smooth.

I am more confused now than ever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it’s an OpenGL issue of some kind then?? Were you running X-Plane with Vulkan?

Yes sir I was