Freedom Fox (Trent Palmer's Kitfox) by developer Parallel 42

Yep, remember to lock down the tail on the ground by pulling the stick back to have better stability the moment you land. It can help you even on takeoff, for example you can give pretty much full throttle with parking brakes, than release, pull back the stick and give one notch of flap: you can take off like an helicopter that way. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I love the new garmin in the fox. Put the US sectional chart on the navigation display, and with everything else working in the garmin it finally feels like flying a complete plane rather than a toy.

I flew the stage 1 and 2. Itā€™s a long time since Iā€™ve flown the fox, and I mostly flew the low and slow. I found the stage 2 challenging on the ground, it needed a lot of revs to get enough oil pressure and easily stalled the motor without. This gave it a lot of power while taxiing so I needed to use a lot of brake, and it made manoeuvring difficult as it doesnā€™t have independent wheel braking either. I canā€™t remember if it was like this before.

Anyway, I paired it with a trial of sayintentions and did some touch and goā€™s at Canyon National Park, then flew around for a bit of sightseeing. I then asked the ATC if I could do spot of canyon running and it gave me permission, just advised me to watch out for terrain. :joy: So I had some fun in the canyon and then flew back and parked up at the East GA parking again, still struggling with the engine revs for taxiing in the stage 2. SI was very impressive and a lot of fun.

All thatā€™s missing for me in this plane is the wear and tear and state saving. If I go flying bush with some camping on a long trip, having to look after the condition of the plane is crucial to the experience.

4 Likes

There is something wrong with the liveries on the basic Analog variant. I selected the red and white (itā€™s labelled Adventure Fox but should be Crimson Sky) livery, but when I launch the flight itā€™s just the white one:

EDIT: also there is an overdone ground wobble with the aircaft shaking left and right in a silly way, even with no wind (all external tool like FSRealistic, RealTurb etc. deactivated) and the ground handling while taxiing and on takeoff is really bad. Not sure how to feel about this update.

Itā€™s not the wind, itā€™s the motor. Itā€™s stable until you fire it up, then it shakes. I donā€™t have a real fox to compare the magnitude but sure it would vibrate in real life.

If you jump outside and check the large tundra tyres you can see them deform as the aircraft wobbles from side to side. It looks fantastic. :grin:

Today I flew the stage 1, the engine and taxi was easier to manage. I have found the landings bouncy, maybe Iā€™m just out of practice but I thought my last one was pretty good, and Iā€™ve done a lot of tail dragger flying in sim, but it pinged off the runway like a pogo stick.

1 Like

If the engine makes the aircraft wobble that much there must be something seriously wrong with the engine. :wink:

It should probably be more of a vibration than a wobble, thereā€™s just a glimpse of Trentā€™s fox here, just before 3 minutes as he starts it the whole plane is clearly vibrating.

The camera is hand held but you can see from the hanger in the distance the way it vibrates. He starts at 50% throttle, maybe the vibration looks better in game if you donā€™t idle the engine?

1 Like

Just a quick question to those who have it, does the Fox 2 Base contain the upgraded, Sim Update 15-style G3X avionics?

I donā€™t have the base, but it must do as they all have except the analogue fox, which is not in the base pack anyway.

Yes, Yes he has

1 Like

Even the Analog has the updated G3X.

3 Likes

Hmm not so analogue then! I suppose Iā€™ll have to try that version out at some point. I buck the trend though and Iā€™m a sucker for glass cockpits. I love having lots of buttons to play with!

1 Like

Thank you all for the quick help. I donā€™t need the analog version but I hugely enjoy the new G3X especially in these small GA planes. Purchased the Base pack just now. Fly safe!

1 Like

Alright, Iā€™ll amend yesterdayā€™s comment about my frustration with this plane and turn it to admiration. I decided to get this, the Wilga, and the Rans S6S on the marketplace sale, and these are my first taildraggers.

Hereā€™s what I devised to quickly train up on how to takeoff and land:

-Line up on a LONG runway. KDENā€™s 16,000 foot 34L/16R is good. Start with calm winds, but eventually add some crosswinds.
-Instead of doing full traffic patterns, just takeoff, go up 20-30 feet, and land. I was able to do maybe eight of these in very rapid succession on this runway.
-Hereā€™s the main trick: fly the plane in external view from behind the tail. This way you can really visualize whatā€™s happening, far better than from the cockpit. You can see your planeā€™s attitude relative to the runway, which wheels are contacting the ground (or not). You can watch the control surfaces and tailwheel move around. It really gives me instant visual feedback as to why Iā€™m bouncing and yawing all over the place.

Still got a ways to go, but starting to ā€œget itā€, I think. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The landings are extremely bouncy. I thought the tundra tires should be inflated to a low pressure so it wouldnā€™t bounce. The seem very elastic now.

Feels exactly the same to me and I have a lot of time training for E-STOL in the kitfox. I only flew the Stage 2 as itā€™s the only one I ever tried. The new liveries are welcome. The new avatars are ho hum. All in all for a free update itā€™s acceptable. I most enjoy the new analog cockpit out of all we got. Curious to see what kind of STOL numbers the comp variant can put up.

1 Like

One thing I immediately noticed with this aircraft, and it may have something to do with the difficulty of landing, is that if you donā€™t use an analogue device (e.g. pedals) for braking then the brake is binary. Itā€™s either 100% instantly or nothing. In other aircraft, even if you press and hold the brake button (on keyboard or Xbox controller), the brake pressure builds up quickly but gradually. Here itā€™s just instantly full brake.

The result is that the plane always wants to turn on its head, upon landing but also even while just taxiing. You canā€™t continually brake, you just have to tap the button repeatedly. So if you land at a higher speed itā€™s very hard to stop properly in a reasonable distance.

Can I assume this is a spurious error message? Fuel pump on/off doesnā€™t make a difference, and itā€™s flying just fine.

I think the updated version doesnā€™t do that anymore

I actually think the opposite, I find the braking feels even more binary on the updated one than the one before. Maybe the more realistic ground physics is making it stand out more. Which is a shame because this was supposed to be my ā€œcouch planeā€, the one I could fly without setting everything up at my desk.

I have put in more practice on taking off and landing with the new physics and thatā€™s going well, but the brake behavior really stands out and makes it a little frustrating to fly when you donā€™t know if the next brake application is going to be the one tha tips you over.

But someone could make a new video of the takeoff and landingā€¦ please