[Freeware] Campbell Airport (C81) - Illinois - [Updated v1.3.0] - January 14, 2020

Campbell Airport (C81)
Grayslake, Illinois, USA

My first airport for MSFS. Small little non towered airport 40 miles north of Chicago. Good departure point for VFR flying along Lake Michigan. Nearby airports are O’hare Airport, Chicago Executive Airport, Waukegan National Airport.

• Custom made hangars true to life.
  • Custom open hangar start.
  • Additional ramp starts located throughout the field.
  • Custom night lighting
  • Custom ground textures
  • Corrected trees in glideslope
  • Custom terrain elevations near airport.

I will try to update as needed.
Version 1.0 - Initial Release - 09/14/2020
Version 1.1 - New Hangar - 09/17/2020
Version 1.1.1 - Fixed phantom beacon, added grass runway starts - 09/20/2020
Version 1.2.0 - Major overhaul - 12/24/2020

UPDATE 1.2.0 - DECEMBER 24, 2020

Release Notes 1.2.0 - “Big update ladies and gents”

• Fixed many ramp starts. Now, only the correct ones will show in game. Select Gate 1, to start from Open Hangar.
  • Corrected night lighting. Only runway 9-27 is lit. Fixed lighting to match real life.
  • Fixed random fuel stops blocking the taxiways and ramp starts.
  • Overhauled taxiways to match real life. Corrected hold shorts, and removed taxi way signs which do not exist.
  • Ground textures have been completely overhauled and created to match real life wear and tear. See for yourself.
  • Removed random airport vehicles such as buses when starting.

Tips:

• The Open Hangar is big enough to fit a C208
  • The real life taxiways are non standard in spacing and clearances, so becareful taxing your large plane.
  • Try to park and push your plane back into the hangar.
  • Nearby Fields:
    KUGN - Waukegan National Airport (11 nm NE)
    3CK - Lake in the Hills Airport (13 nm SW)
    10C - Galt Field Airport (14 nm W)
    KPWK - Chicago Executive Airport (15 nm SE)
    KENW - Kenosha Regional Airport (18 nm N)
    KCGX - Meigs Field (Consider downloading the Guillermo Zulueta Meigs Field) (40 nm SEN)

Installation : Unzip and place “campbell” folder into your community folder.

Download Link
Installation: Unzip and place “campbell” folder into your community folder.

UPDATE v1.1
Added handmade custom open hangar. You can start from this hangar, by selecting “Gate 1” See screenshot. Hangar is large enough to fit a Cessna 208. (There is an issue with there being many default ramp starts, I’m trying to get rid of them and keep the custom ones)

10 Likes

That´s a very nice looking Airport! I´ll have to check it out and the surrounding area. There´s so much to explore out there. Thank you very much for sharing this with us :slight_smile:

Thanks, hope you enjoy!

Next Update, WIP.
Figured it would be fun to start inside the hangar. Stay tuned.

1 Like

This is awesome. Love the in hangar start possibility! Will be downloading this and streaming with it tomorrow.

Great to hear! Make sure to start from “Parking 1 - Ramp GA Small” if you want to start in the hangar. I suggest getting the Meigs Field addon too, then starting a flight in the Campbell hangar, with a VFR along the lake and landing at Meigs. :+1:t2:

Updated to V1.1, see opening post. Updated the github.

1 Like

I have to ask, from landing and taking off at this airport plenty of times when flight instructing at Palwaukee, did you include the big hump that used to be in the middle of the runways where they cross? Just for grins.

1 Like

When I landed here in MFS2020 today I noted a smooth unsloped runway without terrain deviations.

Parked my plane in the hangar there. Wish project fly knew it’s parked there but oh well :joy: their servers were out so I recorded it on my logbook. Getting out of the hangar is going to be a pain.

Ah that’s too bad. There was nothing like seeing if the hump would send you airborne premature or keep you flying when landing. :slight_smile:

It’ll be interesting to play arround with the runway deformations. Still learning the SDK. Maybe that’ll be in the next update

This airfield looks awesome!! For sure will make the trip to Meigs :+1:

1 Like

Nice work, thank you. I live about a mile from KUGN. I do a lot of MSFS flying in the area. I’ve flown in and out of Campbell a couple of times already. Looking forward to doing so with your mod. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work
There is a blinking yellow light above the hangar. I noticed it while I was real time (19.9.2020 20:50UTC)
It appears above the front left hangar pillar

Apart from that all good

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I had a ghost beacon object that I had to find and remove.

Updated to version v1.1.2.
Also added the runway hump discussed here, and added the grass strip starts. Github is updated See opening post.

“Towing” into the hangar. (it’s just pushback shift + p)

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks a lot for the airport. Looks awesome. Did the trip from Meigs and it’s great.

May I ask how did you add so much grass density to the Fields/ spaces between the runways and taxiways? Is it a Polygon with vegetation? Or a material?

Many thanks!

Thanks, love your Meigs rendition.

The grass density was like that initially, I didn’t have to touch it. I suspect that different areas show grass amount differently. I was working on another airport, and the grass wasn’t as dense. I hope they can improve the sdk so that we can have finer control.

1 Like

UPDATE 1.2.0 - DECEMBER 24, 2020

Release Notes 1.2.0 - “Big update ladies and gents”

• Fixed many ramp starts. Now, only the correct ones will show in game. Select Gate 1, to start from Open Hangar.
  • Corrected night lighting. Only runway 9-27 is lit. Fixed lighting to match real life.
  • Fixed random fuel stops blocking the taxiways and ramp starts.
  • Overhauled taxiways to match real life. Corrected hold shorts, and removed taxi way signs which do not exist.
  • Ground textures have been completely overhauled and created to match real life wear and tear. See for yourself.
  • Removed random airport vehicles such as buses when starting.

Tips:

• The Open Hangar is big enough to fit a C208
  • The real life taxiways are non standard in spacing and clearances, so becareful taxing your large plane.
  • Try to park and push your plane back into the hangar.
  • Nearby Fields:
    KUGN - Waukegan National Airport (11 nm NE)
    3CK - Lake in the Hills Airport (13 nm SW)
    10C - Galt Field Airport (14 nm W)
    KPWK - Chicago Executive Airport (15 nm SE)
    KENW - Kenosha Regional Airport (18 nm N)
    KCGX - Meigs Field (Consider downloading the Guillermo Zulueta Meigs Field) (40 nm SEN)

Installation : Unzip and place “campbell” folder into your community folder.
Download: [DOWNLOAD LINK]( Campbell Airport (C81) - Illinois • Flight Simulator 2020)

Consider supporting me if you’d like to see more airports!

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Download V1.3.0

2 Likes