Freeze/Lags while touchdown - but fps around 50 while approaching

Same issue…only at the touchdown moment…the stutter occured…terrible. this made my replay (using flight control replay) appear as a skipped at the moment of touchdown.

Through descent and other phrases the flight smooth, only at the very moment the wheel touches the ground…

1 Like

It’s a new problem for me (installed on an internal SSD). Sim has been working quite good until SU7 dropped but having managed to tweak everything to get it smooth again this new problem developed. Take off, taxi, departure, maneuvering to approach all super smooth in VR - until about 50ft above the runway on landing. It’s like a memory leak that starts and builds up into a slide show. If I get the jet down and get out of VR it takes about 5mins for it to unfreeze. Otherwise I’m left sitting on the runway unable to taxi for not wanting to go xcountry :smiley:

Try to make a very short flight (50 seconds or two minutes) just to take off and landing with the desired aircraft, so you can have the lag/stutter when the wheels touchdown in the runway. You can take-off and landing even in the same runway.

Then finish the tiny-small flight and do your desired long flight with the same aircraft. You shouldt have the lag/stutter when landing then :slightly_smiling_face: It works for me the 90% of the times.

Very intresting what you describe. I dont fly using the VR option and I have the touchdown stutter/lag issue since loooooooooong time ago.

My theory is that is linked to the driver where you have installed the sim, due to HDD drives, SSD drives and NVME drives have a very different processing information speeds. I have installed the sim in a HDD drive (the slower of all of them) so maybe and just maybe Im having the issue because of it.

Next year I will buy a NVME drive and I will install the sim there and lets see what happen.

i dont get this… i mean if i turn down the settings i get more lag… and i dont wanna fly before i fly… they have to give us a fix… its a topic since may…

Totally agree. Asobo should fix the issue.

1 Like

I’ve been doing some testing on this and I’m strongly starting to believe that it is the actual sound that causes the stutter. There are certain sound files that when played seem to cause microstuttering in the sim. Try checking on the MSFS sound options. If you are set as using the windows default device. select your actual devices from the drop down menu

After hundred of experiments and hundred of hours trying to fix the freeze/lag while touchdown I found the reason and its linked with the effects that are used by the sim when the aircraft touchdown in the runway.

What I did to fix the horrible freeze / stutter is:

In my MSFS instalation folder search for the following folders:

fs-base-effects-legacy/effects
fs-base-effects/VisualEffectLibs/Asobo/Base

Then I disabled the following effects adding an “OFF” in the beginning of each name, just like Im showing in the next images:

Doing this I fixed in 100% the issue, It took me MONTHS to find out the solution and I share it with all of you so you can have happy landings with NO sutter.

Of corse you will not be able to see the wheels effects (smoke, water, ice) when the wheels touchdown but who cares if we are in the cockpit during the landing!!!

Very important: Do not delete the effects files, just modify the name adding the OFF word exactly as I show in the pictures so you can comeback to the normal configuration at anytime taking away the"OFF" word from the files.

35 Likes

Thank youuuu it worked!

3 Likes

Im glad to know it, really! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Petition to add “TOUCHDOWN FX” to graphics settings

11 Likes

Amazing find! Thank you!
This actually works on my system. I used to have those super annoying freezes at touchdown but, thanks to this tweak, now it’s all fixed and smooth. The devs should be aware of this issue and either fix it in the sim or add an option to turn the effects on and off in the settings.

2 Likes

Wow! THIS did the trick! You’re a Genius!!
No Control Panel, driver change, registry and CFG hacks etc… Just rename some files and the stutter and pauses are gone!
I guess these files will never be updated or optimized by Asobo because the filepackage is still in version 0.1. I even suspect it comes directly from FSX…
Tip: For future reasons I made a OFF-zip of the files that needed to change after a fresh installation.
Many Thanks Sir.

2 Likes

Sim Update 10 distroyed everything!!.. Im having SEVERE lags when the wheels touchdown in the runway again :sob: and i mean it… SEVERE LAGS… now to disable the effects doesnt work anymore.

Everything was awesome before SIm Update 10… now the lags are back and even worst than before.

Plese HELP

1 Like

this solution cure also the lags/freezes on takeoffs?

No, at least I didnt notice any diference during take-off. But when landing definitely it helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Its seem that this problem was linked to the FBW A320. Recently they updated the plane and there are not lags anymore :smiley:

1 Like

I do not have the FBW A320 installed anymore and had that issue. Some people went back to the old NVIDIA driver and the issue disappeared. With the new driver it disappears when you set buildings to “medium”. Strange thing.

1 Like

I dont think the issue is linked to Nvidia drivers but I cant be 100% sure because I have an AMD graphic card. Try disabling the effects as I showed before, it should help.

Its important to mention that my advice ONLY helps to eliminate lags/stutters when the wheels touchdown in the runway/grass/sand. Another kind of lags doesn’t disappears, sadly :confused:

1 Like

I agree. It does not matter which driver is being installed or which graphic card is being used. I tried your suggestion already but it did not help unfortunately. It is awkward, if you try something new, it works for one or two landings. Then the stutters come back.

I believe only Asobo can and has to fix this issue.

1 Like