Freeze when using joystick hat switch

Since SU7 I’ve had multiple crashes when using the airbus hat switch to change my pov… has anyone else had similar isssues. I don’t get a CTD but it just completely freezes and never restarts.

I’m using thr FBW A320 and thrustmaster airbus joystick. Had the same crash with other aircraft.

same issue here

Known bug.

1 Like

Many thanks Alpine B4652, I’ve been wrestling with this for most of the day! Reinstalled peripherals, checked all drivers etc. Now I know to just close/leave free view before touching any view changes on the stick! Didn’t need to remap anything so far. You’ve really helped.

Glad to hear it…so long as you don’t action NPP from the default cockpit view you will be good.

Same issue here. It doesn’t matter what aircraft I fly, I get the same freeze issue using the joystick hat switch.

1 Like

I’ve had this free three times now, and had perhaps wrongly associated this with the middle mouse button.

What I would do is press middle mouse, pan/zoom to an instrument, tap right to free the mouse then make my changes, then press either hat up on my yoke, or press the hat button to reset my view to the default pilot position.

I’ll check my hat bindings later. I have noticed that if I don’t touch the middle mouse button at all I can use the hat switch without issue. But I still have a low number of flights with SU7 so this could just be random.

2 Likes

I did extensive testing around the bug. Not aircraft, scenery or peripheral caused.

Simply caused by the NPP action being triggered. Not mid click related (well, depends on what actions you have bound to midclick, but generally not)

Plenty of workarounds available though.

1 Like

I had an hour long flight where I did not use the mouse at all, and used my hat switch a lot. I would use hat down twice to go to instrument view, the hat left/right to switch between those views, then finally hat up (NPP), to return to the pilot position. No hang. As soon as I use the mouse button to zoom in to an instrument then hit hat up, that’s when it hangs for me.

Confirmed. I just tested this. I went berserk with the hat switch. No hang. I then used right mouse button to move my view around, zoom in etc. No hang. A single tap of the middle mouse button, then hat up causes the hang.

Now going to test pressing middle mouse button once, move my view, then press it once more to deactivate that mode, then try hat up. I suspect this will work, and the hang only occurs when the middle mouse mode is active.

Yes, that works. Due to another bug, when you press the middle mouse button a second time, your view zooms back to default. I can then press hat up with no hang. If I use middle mouse, zoom in, the press the right mouse button, this stops you from panning around, and I had used this as another workaround to free up the mouse pointer to interact with things, but this still causes the hang.

The last thing I want to check is whether it’s the binding itself or not i.e. move the binding that is on the middle mouse button to another button, like right mouse, or button 4/5.

Current binding for middle mouse is this:

Middle mouse is now unbound, and I have changed the binding of right click to that binding.

No hang! That’s weird. I can tap right click, have freelook locked on, and I can still use the hat up, hat down alternately with no hanging. I tried pressing, and holding the now unbound middle button but no hanging there either.

Now to flip the bindings back with the sim still running.

3 Likes

Very Interesting. I never drew a link between being in Freelook mode and that being a precondition for triggering the NPP freeze - it seemed to me that it only occurred when you were in the default pilot position view: you could use the NPP command when in other view positions without it triggering the freeze.

And here is the thing - when you click out of freelook it returns you to default pilot view.

But I’ll do some testing when I can and you may well be right and that it’s freelook + NPP and not default + NPP that triggers the bug.

Either way - avoid NPP!

When I move the freelook toggle back to middle mouse I get the hang again. I won’t be ditching NPP at all, I’m just going to leave the right click binding to toggle, and leave middle mouse unbound.

NPP hang is avoided.
Right click freelook toggle still allows me to make control inputs, unlike freelook hold.

Middle-mouse freelook toggle + NPP = hang. Change the freelook toggle binding to probably anything except middle mouse, and NPP works as intended.

I tried without NPP, but I could not find a convenient way to reset my view to the pilot position, it would always reset to a zoomed in view of the instruments, which is one hat down press from pilot, but just before the close-in instrument view.

I think this is where individual peripheral set ups and preferences come in to it

As I have a Saitek yoke, I’ve got ‘upper cockpit view’ and ‘reset default cockpit view’ bound to the A1 and A2 switches. Reset is for me the default view, and I can use upper to get that view over the hood. [edited to put in correct cockpit view terms]

1 Like

These are my yoke bindings:

1 Like

Hey guys I’m pretty new here. Is there a way to send this issue to Zendesk as many other simmers experience this problem? I can’t wait 3 months for the next update to play the sim again…

2 Likes

You can still use it, but you need to use a couple of workaround methods found.

I was getting these hangs/crashes and thought I was going crazy but thanks to the hints I’ve recognised I’ve been having the same issue.

I tried to rebind the freelook toggle to right mouse button but still get the hang when doing the NPP when freelook toggle is enabled so I’ll need to unbind the NPP and see how I get on.

Hopefully will be fixed at some stage … thanks to @AlpineB4652 and @hobanagerik for your posts

2 Likes

Have the same issue here I think. Also seems more prevalent in certain scenarios. Specifically certain training missions that I thought I’d corrupted.

I’ll read through these workarounds later and see if they fix it for me.

This has only been since SU7.

Hopefully THERE WILL BE A HOT FIX (PLEASE MS) that will fix this and the VR menus bug. Sorry for shouting :shushing_face::wink:

Thanks for this thread "guys… " may have saved my sanity.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same thing.

1 Like

Several workarounds are listed in this thread.

Thanks a lot for the useful information in this thread, especially hobanagerik!

I’ve had that same freeze yesterday evening while approaching O’Hare. Set the speed for AP with middle mouse button and then hat up switch to reset view, bam. But only after reading this thread it occurred to me that this set of actions was what caused it. Feared it now just crashes randomly on approach (had a CTD on approach a couple of days back). Luckily not the case.

1 Like