Freeze when using joystick hat switch

Verified: I deleted the middle mouse button binding and instead now I use the Mouse 5 button to interact with cockpit controls (e.g. set AP altitude). Hat top switch NPP action now no longer causes a freeze.

Thanks again!

1 Like

So I deleted all middle mouse button bindings but the game still freezes when I select next pilot position after engaging “toggle cockpit freelook”. This would be easier to workaround if there wasn’t also still the bug of not being able to control the plane while holding down freelook. Then I wouldn’t need the toggle as often.

These are basic controls that need to be addressed by the developers soon.

Which button did you bind toggle freelook to?

Button “5” on my mouse.

Yeah, this is quite an issue tbh. I like looking around and sometimes forget during the flight if the freelook mode is on or off. This needs adressing. :worried:

2 Likes

Hello, same bug since 2 days …

There are a couple of workarounds. I don’t think this is being addressed in the SU7 patch, so perhaps SU8 next year?

It is actually beyond comprehension how such an obvious issue was missed in testing :frowning:

I just want to thank you @CapitalArt96792 for this post and @AlpineB4652 as well as the other contributors for help with this solution. This is my first real problem with MSFS and I thought I was out of luck. Because users like you care enough to post their issues as well as solutions, this will get us through until MS gets on top of it. Thanks again. :grin:

2 Likes

I am having the same issue since November/December using the thrustmaster airbus sidestick. It only happens with the sidestick. When I use my Xbox controller I dont get any crashes.

Hmm…it shouldn’t depend on the peripheral? feedback and testing has shown it will occur even if triggered via keyboard and mouse.

Can I just confirm that what you are experiencing is the SIM freezing (so not CTD) when in ‘freelook cockpit mode’ and then triggering the ‘Next Pilot Position’ action? Sadly there are other peripheral related bugs causing CTDs and it might be one of those that is causing your problem.

Thing is, I’m getting the same hang(sim doesn’t crash or sometimes it does, and I still hear sound), but I never touch the middle mouse or views buttons since I’m using a TrackIR 5. When I look to the left, I may or may not get this crash/hang. It only seems to happen when I look to the left, and it can happen at any random time during the flight, from sitting on the ramp to flying to taxiing in, or anything in between. I just don’t get it. Fix your sim Asobo.

1 Like

Ya the sim freezes most of the times and I have to end it from the task manager. Sometimes it just crashes. It happens when I use the hat - next pilot view position every time.

You have two options:

• Unmap NPP from the hat switch or

• Unmap Freelook toggle from the mouse.

Either should stop the freezes. I’ve actually unmapped both as I couldn’t stand the change they made in SU7 where exiting freelook toggle reset the zoom level. I now use freelook hold mapped to the right mouse and mid-click to load custom camera views.

Also, other users have reported that if you map Freelook toggle to the right mouse button that will not trigger a freeze with NPP. But that didn’t work for me.

I unmapped all the keys mentioned in this topic still I am getting this issue.

I have the same issue on my saitek pro flight yoke and throttle quadrant. Started since sim update 7 thought it was my PC hardware failing or something, tried reinstalling game and using DDU to completely wipe graphics drivers and reinstalling latest nvidia drivers.
Turns out it was using the pov hat, using mouse to look around now, removed all pov hat functions in menu.

Weird thing is, using POV hat without live traffic or multiplayer or even AI traffic on would sometimes NOT cause game to crash…

Just a heads up, I fixed my crashes by reverting to Nvidia driver 497.29. An easy fix that everyone should give a try, maybe save yourself a bunch of time and headaches and possibly money!

I got excited for a sec until I remembered I have a AMD gpu…DOH! I just unmapped freelook from my mmb and moved on.

I’ve looked through the Sim Update 8 beta fixes and I don’t see anything in there that addresses this. I even took a closer look at the “peripherals” section and didn’t see much - maybe I missed something? :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

No, not mentioned. Nor anything about zoom resetting when you exit freelook toggle, rendering it fairly useless for instrument work (although this may not have been a bug but an intentional change - who can say?).

Maybe as there are effective workarounds it’s not been given much priority.

1 Like