Frequent scenery Stutters on a top-of-the-line hardware with high FPS: 7950X3D + RTX4090 (2D and VR)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No (for testing I enabled Dev More FPS counter only)

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes. Tested on a clean fresh Win10 install and new MSFS on a freshly formatted fast SSD, with empty Community Folder and no extra software running.

Brief description of the issue:

There are very noticeable “rubberband” stutters happening every few seconds to every 15 to 30 seconds. In 2D I’m testing on a 4K monitor (@60Hz, TAA 100%, Ultra preset, VSync on or off). 7950X3D CPU and RTX4090 GPU maintain steady 100+ FPS, the dev mode FPS counter is constant green in the dense areas with photogrammetry, average around 107 FPS, never dipping below 90FPS. With such high framerates, the scenery should be smooth. However looking at the side, the scenery visibly stutters in irregular intervals. The stutters are present both in 2D gameplay and in VR (WMR Reverb G2 - 100% resolution). The stutters happen with any settings, from Ultra to Low, with all online features off or on.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

It’s difficult to capture on video because any capture introduces its own stutters.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Load default A320 in KJFK on runway 31R, take off and fly towards and over Manhattan, do several 360 turns over Manhattan. Looking to the side, or forward during turns, see the scenery moving completely smooth for a few seconds, but then every 4 to 30 seconds stutter intermittently.

I was trying to solve this problem in VR and opened a thread about it - many people have confirmed similar issues on AMD and Intel CPUs with high-end GPUs, both in VR and 2D. It is persistent through every setting, Rolling Cache off or on, even unplugging the network cable doesn’t fix it.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidia drivers are the newest: 531.79
I also have the latest ASRock BIOS 1.21, latest GPU BIOS, and latest AMD chipset drivers.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
64Gb DDR5 6000Mhz CL30 RAM
ASRock X670E Pro RS motherboard (latest 1.21 BIOS)
1250W Gold PSU
Kingston 2Gb KC3000 NVMe SSD (Win10 + MSFS)
Deepcool Castle 360 AIO liquid cooler
Thermaltake View 51 case
Philips 4K 60Hz 43" monitor (stutters happen with or without GSync enabled)
Reverb G2 VR HMD (WMR, Developer Tools, using latest preview runtime, 100% resolution, stutters happen with or without Motion Reprojection enabled).
1Gb internet (wired).

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

I have always seen this issue, but I thought that my previous system was not powerful enough: 5800X + 3080. I have built a new top-of-the-line PC hoping for a smooth experience, but stutters are incurable.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have the same issue. I’m not positive but I think it may have started around SU9 or SU10 for me.

You are confusing framerate with frame latency. It’s latency that results in stutters.
Try limited your framerate and it’s probable the stuttering will go away.

I have vSync on in the sim, framerate uncapped in the nVidia CP, and framerate limted to 50% of monitor refresh rate in the sim. My monitor is set in nVidia CP to its highest rate (165MHz) which means that in easy environments, such as over water on a clear day, I see a steady 82.5 FPS (1/2 refresh rate) and no stuttering at all. Other people leave vSync off in the sim, and cap the framerate in the nVidia CP. I’ve had better results the way I do it. YMMV.

Also, clear your DX Shader Cache. that may results in some stutters for a few minutes as it rebuilds, but in general will result in lower frame latency.

I tried limiting to 30FPS with RTSS, both in 2D and VR, and it doesn’t help with this problem, unfortunately. 30FPS is ideal for Motion Reprojection in VR (no system can run stable 45 FPS or native 90FPS with Reverb G2 in MSFS). I’d be fine with 30FPS without stutters, but it doesn’t work. I also tried clearing the shader cache several times, and now I have a new clean Win10 install with new MSFS install and the issue is still there…

Hmmmm. Sounds like you have a strange systemic problem here, and are doing the right things to address it. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Have you tried running benchmark tools? I use the simple CPU benchmark in CPU-Z, and Unigine Superposition for the GPU.

1 Like

Yes, and everything seems fine. Also other VR games like Half-Life Alyx, and Half-life 2 VR mod run just fine without any stuttering. I didn’t test 2D games as I don’t play 2D. Also if you look at my topic I linked to, many people have similar problems. I did have the same problem in my 5800X / 3080 system before, but I thought there’s just not enough power. But now there more then enough power and it’s clearly not that…

Yeh, the stutters we are talking bout are not system related. Swapped my whole pc hardware and did clean win and msfs installation. Same stutters. Deffo sim related.

3 Likes

Well, now I did the same, including a clean Win10 install and MSFS install. All-new PC. Tried every conceivable combination of core parking, Process Lasso etc. and all the optimization tricks in the book. I have plenty of performance. Running at 30FPS for VR with Motion Reprojection gives me 45-40% overhead on CPU and GPU, or I can limit 2D at 30FPS too, and with all the overhead it still stutters a bit, with any settings.

It seems a bit ridiculous that we can’t get a completely smooth performance with ultra-high-end systems. It is all about FPS with all other games, which hardware could help with, but here - we have plenty of FPS but it doesn’t help.

3 Likes

20% of gains with Core Isolation/ Memory Integrity off, measured in the benchmark, not feelings, though… my specific stutters when in VC and moving the aircraft, performing a 360º turn stutters are more noticeable, there are the same practically.

When I try to open the Core Isolation page (and I think Memory Integrity is don’t he same page, right?) I just get “page not available”. I think that is because I have turned off virtualization in the BIOS right away, as I always do.

2 Likes

Yes, though I have an intel 13, and just now disabled the intel virtualization in BIOS, and that page disappears, thanks. I had it some years ago always disabled too for security reasons and it was irrelevant for me, and probably now always off. I think nothing, at least important, use or need it in the PC, I do not use it.

Edit: Even better with Virtualization in BIOS disabled, around 25% better compared with the former improvement of 20%.

With LODs in 200, better too, brutal, almost a 50% better than before, though still 20% less than the AMDs X3D achieving 90s fps:

1 Like

If you haven’t try testing with zero traffic/AI.

yes

microstutter where panning aroung

NO

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4

• HT OFF
  • E-cores - disabled
  • vcore offset -0.090v

i9 13900K
LG 27GL850-B
RTX 3080 Xtreme // 528.49
Sound Blaster Z
32GB ram 3600 Gskill
VKB Gladiator EVO Space Combat Edition
X56 throttle

Windows 10 pro

• virtualization - off
  • game mode - off
  • xbox game bar,captures etc - off
  • HAGS - off
  • HPET - on

Yes, also high end here (see profile)

Not only at KJFK, but also flying around in the vicinity of a simple airport like EHLE. It can actually be seen everywhere, I guess, when new landscape is loading in, maybe at moments when the LOD of object changes and are reloaded.

Not running AMD but I have an i7-13700K running at 5.4GHz upwards (undervolted), 32GB DDR4-3800 in Gear 1 (ROG STRIX Z790-A D4), Gen4 SSD (WD Black) with a ROG STRIX 4090 OC and a Quest 2 and also experiencing the stutters as described.

I’m running: Win 11
DX12
HAGS on
Game Mode on
OXRTools
Oculus Tray Tool
Nvidia cache cleared and disabled for MSFS, 10GB cache limit set manually overall.
MSFS rolling cache disabled and deleted
Photogrammetry off
Quest 2 at 72Hz, 80hz or 90Hz
Nvidia drivers 531.29 and now 535.98 (minimal install via NVCleanInstall)
REBAR enabled in BIOS and via NVInspector.

I had managed to get extremely smooth performance from my 3080 Ti just as my 4090 was due to be delivered. Initial testing of the 4090 was amazing earlier this week, then I’ve started seeing pretty bad stutters or elastic banding as it’s also being called. It got pretty extreme at one point flying through the Pyrenees and made no difference whether I was using DLSS Quality, DLSS-DLAA or with ASW on or off, or using OpenXR Toolkit turbo mode on or off.

What did seem to help was switching the detailed Bing environment data off so I wonder if this was is related to slow data load or something?

Was that the exact name of the option that you turned off? I don’t recall that one…

1 Like

Hi

It’s on the Data tab of the Settings page if I remember rightly, just above or below the Photogrammetry setting.

Had a bit more success today, seemed to be running great (with Bing Data World Graphics enabled) - I turned Fauna Density down from 100% to 50% and it seemed to run better. Had a great flight over the Alps in an XCub.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s settings related, I think it’s something external, it seems to affect headset tracking.

Regardless of how much ram you have modern Windows queues instruction sets etc. in virtual memory. I suggest setting a fixed 16GB page file on your system drive and disabling the one on your packages drive.

I have virtual memory disabled as I have 64Gb. Are you saying it’s still better to have it enabled? Also, my packages drive is the same as a system drive, a dedicated MSFS 2Tb fast SSD.