Fresh install on an SSD made all the difference in world

He can.

You can do it via symbolic link (symlink)

2 Likes

If its any comfort I did this exact thing a week ago. I got a new SSD. Took me less than a day to get up and running. Since I keep all my games including MSFS on the old drive I just had to install Steam etc on the new SSD and point it at the existing game files. It quickly verified all of them, done. All existing docs etc also on old drive so I just whacked in the SSD , fresh install and by the evening it was like nothing happened…except the speed of Windows!

2 Likes

Watch this very good video. He explains it very well.

What it comes down to is yes - thanks to symlinks you can source the Community files anywhere. Unlike a shortcut a symlink to Windows actually makes it think the files are in Community.

As far as Windows is concerned the files are there…but actually they can be anywhere (even another drive). The beauty of symlink!

You CAN do this manually but AddOn Linker makes the task easier because as the mod collection grows you’ll want to manage it better.

Yes I saw the video, but for me being a non English spoken its a bit complicated and I don’t want to take a chance to mess up my MSFS that is running so smooth for me now. My community folder is 30GB now so I will only add things that are absolutely necessary. My C drive is 500GB and I still have 172GB free.

I don’t understand your reluctance to move the 170 GB including
the Community folder to another drive (SSD).

The Community folder can then be as big as the drive has space.

This Saturday I also did a full installation of Windows 10 (21H1) on a raid 0 of 2 NWMe (same configuration as my last installation on August 20, 2020).

HOWEVER, I deleted the XMP profile from my ram memory and have to say, MSFS has never been so smooth in VR.

Intel core i9 9900KF
Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
Aorus RTX 2080ti Xtrem
64 Go DDR4 3600MHz (without XMP 2400 MHz)
2xSamsung 970 pro NWMe (Raid 0)
HP Reverb G2

With my 64 GB of G.Skill 3600 Mhz, I did not try the XMP option
and just set my Bios Memory Clock to 3600 HZ.

I would try that if I were you. The speed increase is well worth it.

Thanks for your answer.

I’ve this

2x HyperX Predator 2x, 16GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288

How can I set frequency ?

Thanks for your help

@TemperedPaper48 Look, I’ve already advised you that if you use MSFS addons manager (available here: MSFS Addons Linker » Microsoft Flight Simulator), you can put your addons ANYWHERE, and the program will send shortcuts of the mods you want active to your Community folder. While you should put your addons directory on an SSD, as you should put your MSFS installation, and anything related to it on an SSD (though it need not be the same one, though it can be as well), this addon will fill up your Community folder with 0 sized links, therefore not taking up any space at all.

I highly recommend that you use it.

Kev

1 Like

I have the same motherboard and a 9900K.

Click windows Start.
Click the Power Icon.
Click Restart.

Your PC will reboot.
When you hear the bell (ding) or see the prompt,
Press your Delete key on the keyboard.
Note: the keyboard must be a wired USB keyboard.

The Bios screen will appear.
Press F2 (I think) for Advanced options.
On this screen, go down to where you see the CPU Clock Ratio.
Press Enter and scroll down to the speed you want your CPU to run at.
Then press Enter.
It will read 36 or something.
I set mine for 48 (4800 GHz).

Then scroll further down for System Memory Multiplier.
It will red 2666 or something.
Press Enter and scroll down to 3600.
Press Enter.

Go to top of screen and scroll right to Save & Exit.
Press Enter.
Press Enter on the next screen.

These are the only 2 things that I change on my motherboard bios.

Note that when you change the memory speed on the motherboard,
the MB must do “Memory Timing” which is a program that checks and programs your memory sticks for the MB.
This can take several minutes.
Just wait for it to finish.
Don’t panic.

1 Like

Thank you very much I’ll try tomorrow morning with a clear mind

2 Likes

Got my new NVMe drive installed and formatted. I think in the first instance I’m just going to keep windows running on my older SSD. I actually did a clean install of windows a couple of months ago so my older SSD isn’t too clogged up with stuff. I’m currently reinstalling FS on my new super fast drive. I’ll see how I get on. If I run into any issues I’ll just put Windows and FS onto the new NVMe drive.

Sim still loads too long, and the

checking for updates

still sucks.

I have one burning question…

Using a SSD external harddrive for MSFS???

I enquired about getting another SSD storage for my laptop and the guy was 99% certain that my laptop had multiple slots…
Tuns out it doesn’t…
I updated my laptops 500gb SSD to a 1tb SSD anyway and it’s noticeably better…

Is it possible to turn that original 500gb SSD into a external harddrive with intent on running the community folder from that external SSD hardrive??

I have no absolute knowledge about this.

But, I have not seen anything about an external drive.

As far as I know, a drive is a drive is a drive.

Don’t know about the Community folder only. But my reference is to
moving the 170GB to the drive via Settings, Apps, Move.

Yes via symlink or change root game folder destination.

How to - msfs MS Store ver.

1 create new folder named MSFS 2020 on for e.g. D drive // D=external drive
2 copy Official and Community folders from
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
and paste to D:\MSFS 2020
3 after that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache
4 in notepad open file named userconfig.opt
scroll down to the bottom and edit last line
e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

// Packages is root game folder
// D = external drive

change
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

to for e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS 2020"

save changes

After that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official
delete all files and folders

Go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Delete all files and folders

How to - msfs Steam ver.

1 create new folder named MSFS 2020 on for e.g. D drive // D=external drive
2 copy root_game_folder Packages from
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
to D:\MSFS 2020
3 after that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
4 in notepad open file named userconfig.opt
scroll down to the bottom and edit last line
e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages"

// Packages is root game folder
// D = external drive

change
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages"

to for e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS 2020\Packages"

save changes

After that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight\Packages\Official
delete all files and folders

Go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight\Packages\Community
Delete all files and folders

An external solid state HDD will possibly be significantly slower. There are some fast interfaces that might give really good performance especially compared to spinning drives, but I am not sure they will be quite as fast as on-motherboard m.2 drives. On my system the m.2 drives are 4x faster than high speed solid state SATA drives.

So maybe? There are a few different interfaces for external drives in use. Not familiar with their specs but you can check the numbers for whatever interface you have and know for certain. The slowest part in the data path will pretty much decide your throughput, though.

I just updated my PC by replacing my 256 GB m.2 ssd with a 1TB m.2 ssd. I also bumped my RAM up to 32GB.
Before this upgrade I had MSFS 2020 installed on my HDD because my SSD didn’t have the space. I re-installed it on the new SSD, and since then I have noticed a significant reduction in freezes and stutters as I approach airports in busy a city areas with photogrammetry.

3 Likes

The year is 2021, and people still use HDD? I haven’t used one in years. Get an NVMe, world of difference. It takes my computer longer to POST than it does to boot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.