Friction on Contaminated Surfaces / Slippery Runways

Since snow has made an appearance at many airports- it would be very fitting if they included a friction model to simulate the reduction of braking action on surfaces covered in snow, ice, rain, puddles, etc. Something subtle, but something there.

It would be very cool if we were to get dynamic runway contamination, where wet runways adds to your stopping length, you risk hydroplaning etc., and with snow/ice on the runway you will risk skidding off the runway. I believe there are ways of defining ā€œamount of contaminationā€, and if possible this could also pair well with different types of runway design, with grooves etc.

3 Likes

I agree. This should be added when they are working on the weather system. Dynamic runway conditions are a concern that I think would be a good change if it was added.

3 Likes

Something that I think would be possible once they redesign the friction model in the sim

2 Likes

Relax! Thereā€™s already a new friction model underway that will give devs better control over such factors.

Lol ā€¦ voted

1 Like

Seb did a few twitches back and more recently the surface area of the wheels instead of using just a single point like fsx did. Slow progress but I suspect itā€™s something they work on inbetween CTD disasters. In fact thinking about it the Discus2c does react to different surfaces so it is probably already available for devs to implement.

1 Like

Oh OK but as Iā€™ve edited it may already be here however I feel braking may need more work. I would guess it wouldnā€™t be so noticeable in heavies.

1 Like

I want two main things: No more shaking up and down with float planes, and I want some proper water spray effects from inside the cockpit, maybe on the windshield. Even just some rain droplets appearing on the windshield and spray visible on the floats. Nothing huge.

2 Likes

Best statement everā€¦ I should use that as my signature block. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course this is sandboxed and no doubt thoroughly tested and maybe optimised at every location but I do like your thinking ā€¦ I still think they should fix the Isle of Man first though :wink:

1 Like

Very good idea, Iā€™m all for it. Iā€™ve added my vote.

2 Likes

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

I would like to see different ground handling. Like Poor braking action and skidding when its icy or rain. Xplane has done this in all years, and i hope its coming to this sim too.

1 Like

This is one of the things I missed when coming over from XP11, the different surfaces and conditions making the ground handling feel and behave differently!

I hope Asobo implements this in a full/realistic and not ā€˜subtleā€™ manner as it would add greatly to the excitement and challenge of flying in all weather conditions.

2 Likes

(just gonna repost this from my topic which got merged to death, maybe a little bit more detailed than the current OP, hope you make something useful with the votes you got gifted, Iā€™m gonna leave it at that)

The weather in MSFS looks phenomenal, but the physics behind the visuals on the runway and in the world are missing:

• wet
  • ice
  • snow
  • dirt / offroad
  • mud
  • hydroplaning
  • cornfields / arable land
  • water physics (should be improved including waterspray / raindroplets on windshield)

The choice of landing gear like skis or offroad tyres should have an actual effect and making a difference.
It should be possible to not land or takeoff in some places or conditions if it doesnā€™t fit the airplane or equipment.

Currently you can do anything anywhere, because the ground is always the same, completely smooth and the weather circumstances doesnā€™t have any effect on the surface simulation.

2 Likes

For most large airports, information on conditions related to snow volume, braking action and more is issued in SNOWTAM. This can be used in Flight Simulator to increase realism. For example the effect of poor friction on the runway when braking and increased take-off distance due to layers of snow on the runway. This information also tells something about whether runways and taxiways have been cleared of snow. Can this be implemented in FS2020?

Example:

SNOWTAM information here:

Great idea. Voted.

This is needed. Hope it gets implemented. BASIC thing when the topic is a flight simulator. Hope Asobo make it happen!

Brake action on wet runways. A very important topic when we talk about a flight simulator. The aircraft needs more runway to stop when the runway is wet compared to when itā€™s dry. Of course there are levels of brake action based on how contamined the runway is, but just noticing some difference in the stop length would be amazing considering itā€™s a flight sim. It might not be so hard to add it, just might need to add a coefficient to the brakes when the runway it wet.

Any chance of this getting implemented?

1 Like

Itā€™s implemented already-in Xplane12

1 Like