FS Steam version has CTD immediately after trying to start since around April and I don't know what else to do

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:

FS CTD about 5-10 seconds after trying to start. I see the icon at the bottom right spin about 2 times and then CTD. This is after only the initial 1 gb install. This is error in event viewer:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.19.9.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000028df5
Faulting process id: 0x2320
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ad99cc45e645
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 835f9350-98ff-410c-9e08-c7cc42a4fc8c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thereā€™s also this in the flightsimulator.dmp file that seems important:

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

Iā€™ve uninstalled/reinstalled visual studio c++ runtimes, Iā€™ve underclocked CPU and GPU, Iā€™ve disabled all virus protection and literally all apps that are in startup, updated my display drivers, disabled my sound, disconnected my internet, have the English language pack installed. Nothing has solved it. Steam will not refund me even though I only have 13 h and it hasnā€™t worked since April.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

MSI PRO Z490-A PRO LGA 1200 Intel Z490
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDRR6X
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G32C16U4R
Western Digital 2TB WD_Black SN750 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS200T3X0C

Quick question, do you have the English (United States) language pack installed under language settings in windows? Might double check that and make sure you have it installed. This sometimes causes that issue.
Regards

Yes, I have three English language pack installed and have tried reinstalling it. forgot to include that.

1 Like

If possible, Do you have a trustable friend that has steam MSFS to swap steam and xbox accounts with?

If yes see what happens when you try logging in to their account and see what happens. to make sure you log out of MSFS go and press the Windows start key, then type ā€œCredential Managerā€. After that open go and Click ā€œWindows Credentialsā€ and find the one that has : ā€˜Xbl_Ticketā€™ at the front of it. Remove that and your MSFS should be logged out of you Xbox.

After logging into to a friends steam account, try launching and see what happens.

For me I have an issue where I CTD right after the ā€œChecking for updatesā€ page. I basically narrowed it down to ā€œOnline Functionalityā€ and that I canā€™t seem to play MSFS when connected to their servers or on internet. After furious amounts of tweaks, Iā€™ve found out that my Steam/Xbox (Idk which tbh) is somehow the issue after I was able to login into my friends Steam and Xbox then trying to launch the Sim. I cant seem to play on my own account for reasons unknown.

@RishonA330 , no unfortunately I donā€™t

I signed up for a month of Game Pass and installed Flight Simulator through the Xbox Windows app and I am still getting an immediate crash to desktop with the same error in event viewer and the dmp file.

Try deleting/renaming this folder (backup or rename the folder, so you can rename them back).
c:\users[usersname]\appdata\roaming\Microsft Flight Simulator

Alternatively, if you have disk space you can rename the entire content directory that contains the fs-base folder. If it tries to install entire 120gb you can stop it as you know its one of those folders causing you the issue. You can then move folders back a dozen or so at a time until you work out which folder has the corruption (this worked for me, only took 20 mins to sort it out in the end).

If installed - uninstall: Nahimic, Dragon Center (MSI Center), Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
Restart PC

Also for testing purpose uninstall AV software.
Restart PC.

EDIT
Turn off Steam overlay.
Steam > settings > in game

apply changes

Update system to ver 21H1 19043.1237

I tried removing all the Flight Simulator folders and doing the reinstall as suggested among the CTD solutions (as well as all the listed solutions for CTD at initial loading screen here: Unofficial Reference Guide to CTD Solutions). still CTD, thanks

I donā€™t have any of those (Nahimic, Dragon Center (MSI Center), Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
Restart PC) installed, do not have anti-virus software running, and have an exception in Windows Defender for the flightsimulator.exe file. Steam Overlay is also off. Thanks

What about folders and process?

How do I add exceptions to those? Iā€™ve also tried running with real time protection disabled if that helps.

via exclusions

edit
process = flightsimulator.exe

Yeah thatā€™s what I did. Sorry, I thought you meant there were other places to set exclusions.

Iā€™ve uninstalled just about everything and still getting CTD. This really is just ridiculous. Iā€™ve probably put in nearly 16 hours now trying to get this to run. Is Microsoft going to reimburse me for lost time? At this point Iā€™m just going to reinstall Windows as itā€™s my last option as far as I can tell and Iā€™ve wasted enough time trying to find the problem.

Word of warning: reinstalling Windows fixed nothing for me, the problem persisted.

to be sure:
you not have disabled windows virtual memory manually (pagefile) ?
Or do you have very less free amount of disc space ?

May be also possible are the USB devices connected.

EDIT: ah, I seen yoor old topic: Where do I post for help with CTD before FS (steam) actually loads?

Then may be try to limit the FPS in nvidia control center to a very low value ( e.g 25 ) and try to start MSFS.

@MichaMMA Iā€™ve tried setting virtual memory manually and having Windows manage it and neither solved it. I have about 500GB free on the Windows drive. I also tried limiting the FPS and that did not solve it.

@Snowman2241 Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. If I try it, it wonā€™t be for a while as I donā€™t have time at the moment to reinstall everything. Maybe before then it will get fixedā€¦

It happens from time to time without any changes of the Flight Sim App or content. Also for MS Store Version on my side.

Sometimes it works, othertimes CTD within 5sec. Later the same day its up amd running with no problem.