FS2020 doesn't start and launches Gaming Services always

I am at the end of my tether and am currently fed up with FS2020, with Asobo. In addition to the fact that Asobo has completely destroyed the FS2020 with the last update, at least in VR mode, the FS won’t start for me for the umpteenth time and I’m being redirected to Gaming Service in the MS Store. I have now tried all the solutions mentioned in this article and others, unfortunately all without success. No matter what I do, I always end up back at Gaming Services in the MS Store. Also uninstalled the XBox App and reinstalled it, without success. I’m using Windows 10 21H2 by the way.

I^m absolutely mad and dissapointed about the last update from Asobo and also about such issues here. I have absolutely no cidea how I get Flightsim back working as expected and how it was before 2 months ago. I’m really grateful for the final hint in solving the issue with that stupid game services error.

2 Likes

There are a couple recent posts in here about turning off HAGS which was enabled in a recent Windows update.
Apparently that has worked for them.
Could that be your issue?

I’ve just about had enough as well,

Had a good day flying yesterday, no issues. Come today well.
After a hard day at work I’ve got 1h to myself so I thought I’d do a quick island hop short flight. I’m 1h 30mins in and I haven’t even got in the cockpit yet. Constantly CTD. Nothings changed since I closed my computer down down yesterday :unamused:

3 Likes

Indeed HAGS was turned on but nothing changed after that, just repaited once again all the steps in the mentioned posts and it is still launching the stupid gaming services app. Im done completely, I guess I will uninstall FS2020 and will throw it far way. Have no clue why. Everything else installed works perfect and without any issues. But it seems Asobo and Microsoft are genius in messing up everything. Sorry for that words but Im just dissapointed and upset since 8 weeks in FS related matters. If somebody has another hint I m really grateful.

2 Likes

This one was posted today.
You may have done this, but I thought I’d send the link.
In any case it’s worth reading to see.

Start > settings > apps

Click gaming services > advanced settings> terminate > repair and reset.

Restart PC

1 Like

this is a pain. I had this issue a few weeks ago when switching to a new pc. I’m not even sure how I fixed it or if it was anything I did. what i did and I suggest you do the same, make sure you’re signed into windows, xbox app, AND the windows store with your microsoft account. if signed into windows already, then sign out of your microsoft account and use local windows user instead, restart the PC, and then log back into microsoft account. also make sure the PC is added as one of your devices in the microsoft account admin website. im assuming you have the windows store version. dont know if this is applicable to the steam version.

Thanks for your feedback but nothing changed even I tried again all steps you mentioned. Still gaming services launching :frowning:

Hello.
I could go to services and check how they are.
Gaming Services
I would give it to stop the service and then you put it on automatic and you start it again

This is a “cure” that quite a few folks used with a similar issue back around March-21.
Even though they had a good internet connection, using a VPN (I believe there are some free ones still out there - even for a trial period) solved the issue and they were able to get going.
You may want to do a search here for “VPN” and see see what you think.

1 Like

Just had the same thing happen to me tonight. Was playing for a few hours then quit and went to have dinner. Tried to start the sim up again and…nothing. Wont start up at all now…redirects me to MS store. This s#$t is so frustrating.

Yep tried this but unfortunately it didn’t work. When I try to launch the sim after rebooting it comes up with the message
“This App can’t open
Check the Windows Store for more info about Microsoft Flight Simulator.”

It then directs you to the store where there is unsurprisingly no info at all. FFS this is just insane…I was playing it fine only 2 hours ago now its dead as the proverbial dodo,

2 Likes

I have a solution that may works for you…

From time to time I face that problem and I realized that it always happens when there’s an update for Microsoft store app or for gaming services app. It may appear ridiculous what I’m about to say: “Make sure the updates are complete” … how ? read below…

From the start menu, search for “Microsoft store” app then click Library on the left and then click “update all” in the top right corner (see screenshot below). The trick is you need to do it SEVERAL TIMES !!!!!!

For some reason, the update of the Microsoft store or gaming services is not always complete. So, you need to restart windows and enter Microsoft Store again and check for updating all apps once again… do this process 2-3 times until you’re sure there’s no other new updates.

I repeat… update all apps from within inside the windows store app then restart windows and recheck for new updates, you may be surprised to find another updates!!

Finally, after making sure all updates are done, go to add/remove programs, search for Gaming services / advanced options then click rest

My justification for that solution is that I believe that sometimes, Microsoft Store app or gaming services app have cumulative updates and Windows does not notify you of that because the updates are within the Store app not from normal windows update… so if you update first portion, you still need to restart windows, reopen the store app and recheck for other updates. Finally, the reset option I mention about is equally important.

1 Like

Bottom left box on comp type
WSReset.exe
Black box appears await untill goes to Microsoft store restart update Microsoft store up and running .

In windows seacrh bar type
powershell

Right-click on powershell and select run as administrator

Copy/paste the following command into powershell window
(right-click to paste into powershell window)

Remove-Item -Path “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices” -Recurse

press enter

Remove-Item -Path “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet” -Recurse

press enter

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

press enter

//////////////////////////////////////////
Restart PC.
/////////////////////////////////////////

Run powershell as administrator.

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Click Install

Restart PC

6 Likes

happens to me at least once a month. I simply restore the PC to a date couple days prior.
works every time and takes about 5 minutes

1 Like

Nothing works for me in solving the issue. Whatever I do and used all mentioned suggestions meanwhile several times, MSFS is still not launching and is guiding me to MS Store Gaming Service. Very dissapointing and frustrating since weeks VR mode is not working anymore in FS 2020 and since 3 weeks FS2020 is not launching anymore, not useable.

1 Like

The solution I’ve found is to let it do it’s Gaming Services thing. You’ll have the Store window and the Gaming Services page, scroll the Gaming Services page down. An Install Button will appear top right, hit it, wait. Say “Yes” to anything it asks you permission to do.
NOW - SCROLL THE PAGE DOWN A LITTLE - and yet another Install button will apppear. Hit “Install” and let it do it’s thing. After a moment or so it’ll go to the main Store window.
Now you can close the STORE and boot the sim again. Should go straight to sim this time.

I’ve been having to do this for ages - typically it’ll happen once a month or so. Rest of the time Sim boots normally.

I tried all sorts of nonsense to get it to go away - this, above is the only way to minimize the tedium of it.

Don’t Restore your PC, don’t muck about with other settings - you’ll just open the Swiss cheese holes up for further problems and errors. It’s a Registry bug.

I feel your pain man. I too have tried every single solution mentioned on this thread to no avail. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is using the Media creation tool to re install Windows base apps.

Just finished uninstalling and re installing Gaming services using Windows Powershell as described…worked great and re installed fine. Unfortunately the sim still wont launch.

Will try the media creation tool thing but if that doesn’t work (and I have no confidence it will) then I’m basically stuffed. So frustrating because I’ve been using the Sim for almost 6 months now with only the odd hiccup which required updating windows. No such luck this time.

My nuclear option (if nothing else works) will be to uninstall MSFS and rebuy the game on Steam. Drastic I know…but I’m just about at the end of my tether with MS. One thing I do know though…I will never ever buy anything through MS store ever again.

I had an unusual error today, but there have been many errors and problems. Today, first time starting the sim, instead of loading and waiting, I was prompted to enter the game disc. I thought that was fairly odd. Closed, restarted, all is good here. Seems like the more they do things to it, the less reliable it becomes. Maybe if we ask nicely, they can roll back the updates and let us use the older version that had great weather and worked, at least.