FS2020. Laptop flyer? Anyone? Chime in!

I’ve used it on my Alienware 17 R4
32 GB RAM
GTX 1080
Samsung EVO 970 1TB (OS & MSFS on same drive)
…works like a champ! WiFi has issues downloading the install, so use a wire. After download, can use the WiFi for playing.

MSI GS75 here. Nice 17" screen.

i7 8750H @4.0 Ghz, RTX2070-Maxq, 16Gb, 1080p

Most settings on ultra, only one or two on high. I mostly fly the larger GA aircraft, C208, B350 etc, but in general it runs better than P3Dv4, and looks better too.

No overclock, but factory liquid metal applied to CPU & GPU, combined with 100mv under volt and a custom fan profile, means temps never pass 80 degrees.

Overall very happy.

It is my 8 core CPU that is bottlenecking because of the lower clock speed. I wish I had opt for the 6core i7-10750H. with a higher clock speed.

wow if I can attain this on my laptop. I will be a happy camper. mine hovers to mid to high 80C. keyboard a tad hot to touch but still accepatble.

I’ve got a 2019 16" MacBook Pro and it runs pretty well with most of the settings on medium, when in Bootcamp. I definitely haven’t tried using VMware Fusion! My mac has got the 8 core i9-9880H, with the Radeon Pro 5500M. The graphics card is definitely the limiting factor, but for a more media / business focused laptop, I’m pleased at how well it’s running. It does get pretty warm though and the fan is on constantly, although I guess it simply adds to the atmosphere!

MSI GL65 with i7-10750H (6c/12t), 32GB DDR4 @2933, RTX 2070 8GB (115w). Performance is between 25-40 FPS in the most dense cities (LA, Tokyo, NYC) and 45+ FPS in less dense cities or rural areas.

Settings are a mix of a couple Ultra, a few high, and some medium settings. Game looks great and runs well for me at 1080p/1440p. Performance expectations were exceeded. I’m not overclocking or undervolting currently. I mostly fly GA aircraft, but it runs fine when flying the A320 too.

1 Like

how was your temp in a high dense cities? No thermal throttling?

I am running on 2019 15" Macbook Pro Retina in Bootcamp mode. My FPS normally runs around 15 if I am lucky. It’s an Intel i9-9980HK CPU @2.40 GHz. 32 GBs of RAM and 450GB SSD hard drive given to Bootcamp. I also use a Thrustmaster T. Hotas 4.

FPS is mostly GPU limited by the Radeon Pro Vega 20 graphics card. I’ve tried many tweaks but cannot get a real increase in FPS. I have had to put most settings on low or off which really takes away from the beautiful graphics I see on youtube. Depending on where I am flying I have had 10 or less FPS but if I wait a few seconds it generally creeps up to 14-17. I have mainly been flying the King Air on IFR flights with clear skies. Don’t know when, or if, I will get a proper rig for this but it is OK for the occasional use. Would love to know if any other Macbook users have gotten decent FPS as I would love to play more.

I’m on a laptop that’s WAY under specs.

But I am using a cloud gaming platform (Shadow) because I’m a cheapskate and I got a free subscription with my Internet subscription. It’s the cheapest tier, so I started on the “High” setting but I tried Ultra and get about 35 FPS on 1080p. I can imagine this isn’t enough for some people here, but for me I’m more than happy and my hardware investment was limited to a 40 euro flight stick. The cloud subscription is normally € 15 / month, but like I said it was included in my Internet subscription, which I had anyway.

I’m connected via normal Internet over WiFi. I wasn’t expecting it to work well, but it’s fine as long as the internet doesn’t drop away. First time I had A LOT of audio stuttering and video artifacts, but it was fixed by lowering the “allocated bandwidth” to 30 mbps (on Shadow, not MSFS) and now I don’t have to think about it.

The performance may be different depending on your location and internet connection. I’m in Belgium, Europe.

Disclaimer: I’m not a gamer at all, but I am an aviation enthousiast.

Running MSFS2020 nice on Alienware 17 R5 with the current MSFS2020 patch (early November). Fans are much quieter than before. Lots of functions I want are still “under development”, but I am happy with the clouds and ground scenery. I am waiting to see the first reports of running this game on Xbox Scarlett (the big one, $500). I guess lots of people are. Microsoft in charge of coordinating the hardware and software. Sounds like how Steve and Apple would have done it.

Hi…can it run without stutters at 4K in dense areas at Ultra setting?

I main on my desktop, but just to see how my laptop from 2016 would hold up I installed and was pleasantly surprised to hold low but smooth framerates around medium-low from the cockpit
Dell Inspiron 7559
GTX 960m
i7-6700HD
16gb DDR3 1600
1tb SSHD

I’ve had very little issues with stuttering. Runs hot though, might want to consider a laptop cooler

Ok. Thanks

I agree with @Jhkayakr1 - Laptop Cooler
Get one that has moveable fans that you can position near your air intake. I have the Alienware 17 R4 where the intake is wide towards the rear (under laptop). I got one with 3 movable fans (also replaceable fans - standard case fans). Works great!

Hi,
Your config looks great.
I’m debating purchasing this laptop (rogM15) but unsure how loud the fans get with the settings you’re using. Can you share your experience pls?
Thanks

The fans get pretty loud. Asus has a utility called “amoury crate” where you can set up different fan profiles. I have it set to go to “turbo” mode for the fans (100%) when launching MSFS.

Its noticeably loud but it does keep the temps in check. There are other games I play that heat the laptop up much more than MSFS.

The thermal design of the Asus laptops uses exhaust vents around the keyboard and around the top, so you will feel it warm up when pushing the cpu/gpu. However, I have yet to see this laptop get so warm that it started cpu/gpu throttling.

I’ve been very happy with the value of this laptop. You could probably get the next step up with a gtx2070 for what I paid for this 3 months ago. I would definitely recommend the i7-10750 cpu at least, as it clocks at 5ghz with no overclocking needed.

Thanks Major. Appreciate your input.
I took another look at your config. After reading so many reviews, I assumed that GTX1660 and only 16g ram would not be enough for FS… yet you seem to be able to enjoy it with high settings mostly. Glad to read that.
What do you feel you’re missing by not having an RTX gpu?

Well I think the fact that the onboard display is 1920x1080p is what makes it run good. If I were to pick up a decent gaming monitor to go with a higher resolution, the gpu would struggle with my current settings. I would probably have to dial back the render scaling to below 100%, which would negate the higher texture quality of a higher resolution.

I don’t think there’s much in the sim using dx11 that would take advantage of an RTX (ray tracing etc) but perhaps when dx12 comes along. Of course anything RTX based would be a higher tier card than the gtx1660 anyways, so it would still be an upgrade.

If system RAM becomes an issue, this laptop will go up to 24gb by replacing an 8gb with a 16gb stick, so that’s a possible upgrade. (the laptop board has 8gb built in, and an 8gb DIMM, only the DIMM is replaceable, but any configuration with the onboard 8gb will run in dual-channel).

Here’s my setup with a laptop. A desktop is out of the question, this is our only table so the whole setup has to be removable.

3 Likes

Hi,

I have a similar specd laptop and im currrently struggling with the graphic settings, also flying at night the frame drops to 25-35…

is it possible to share your settings?

Thanks!!!