FS2020 the best simulator?

Yes, back in the day some workers had their own priorities.

There used to be a special day for some, every week, called POETS day. Products made then were best avoided if possible.

:smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m never here to be nice nor diplomatic this is my go to hobby and passion of 23 years, and I want the new sim to be the very best it can possibly be for all simmer types…casual, hardcore, etc etc.
I could care less who gets hurt over what, its my product that I bought with my $120.
I will express how I feel bluntly and I encourage everyone else to do the same.
Asobo doesn’t need anyone to shill or defend them, critical blunt consumers and Asobo have the same interest in mind, continuous evolution and development of …THEE VERY BEST FLIGHT SIM EVER CREATED!

1 Like

We’re definitely wanting the same thing. It’s on the road to that, but it’s going to take a while to get there. Longer than I’d like, I’m afraid, but it will eventually.

Yes, well, let’s hope you get the sim you deserve.

2 Likes

Rather “Blunt” but expected from a “Grunt” and I agree with you, I hope he gets what he deserves… smile

2 Likes

Its definitely gonna be a while, but as a logical rational adult I know harping on the sims current conditions and getting all worked up over its issues and “gain some take some” patch updates can be very bad for one’s mental health. So what do I do?
I simply go back to the older sims that still make me happy and bring me enjoyment. While bluntly reporting issues of the new very young sim and patiently waiting.

Why some can’t seem to grasp this very logic is beyond me…

1 Like

You are a true poet Sir and, yes, I tried not to be too ‘upfront’ and give rise to an ‘affront’

1 Like

I would argue though that there already are some study level planes from 3rd parties like Carenado. And a lot of the default planes are just a couple of months away from study level. If you are into general aviation you should be ready to make the switch.

Carenado planes aren’t study level. Carenado planes are eye pure candy with some slightly improved flight characteristics and no ‘inop’ switches in the cockpits. The difference between Carenado’s planes and the stock planes is Carenado actually finished theirs.

To be clear, there’s nothing wrong with that. I love both the Mooney and C182. But calling them study level is like calling some chav’s soup can exhaust 98 Civic a "race car’.

I own 6 Carenado products…when did they start pushing study level?
Default Asobo planes going full study level in a couple months? Source?
Again…why would I want to make a complete switch when the default GA’s have optimization and physics/aerodynamics issues also?

I believe our friend here simply doesn’t actually understand the definition of “study level”.

1 Like

Can anyone here even define what study level means? Especially considering that even flight training devices authorized for legitimate pilot trainings have “realism” issues (like non-representative aerodynamics)?

The phrase “study level” is stupid and nonsensical, and at this point is more or a marketing term than an objective characteristic. Pick a more descriptive term.

4 Likes

I go Carenado when I want shiny beautiful eye candy in aircraft…nothing more🤣
After flying the TBM and the Phenom from Carenado I doub’t anyone would call them “study level”.

I consider Carenado planes like having a supermodel girlfriend who’s as dumb as a sack of hammers. Amazing to look at and a ton of fun to play with, but lacks any real depth or substance.

3 Likes

Carenado’s TBM 850 in a nutshell…beautiful visuals…absolute junk aerodynamics and sounds.
A fart pipe muffled Honda lawnmower fits the description of the sounds.

2 Likes

By far the best for me. I’m very happy with the work that the Devs are doing at the moment. It’s such a massive project and just keeps getting better. Can’t wait for the VR release and hopefully they get Ireland included in the 3rd World Update :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It can pretty easily be defined. It’s planes with the same level of systems depth as their real world counterparts. Everything is complete and works the same way as the real things. No “inop” switches nor watered down avionics with only the most basic of functions. If it’s on the real plane and does something, it’s in sim and does the same thing.

There’s no jumping in, hitting a couple of switches and knobs and getting airborne. You have to follow procedure like you would IRL. Anything that would cause a failure in the real aircraft will cause the same failure in the sim. These are planes that pilots of the real thing can practice instrument procedures with knowing things will work as they would in the real aircraft with a very high degree of fidelity.

I’m totally ignoring flight model and aerodynamics. I’m not a pilot and I have no real frame of reference to have an informed opinion on this topic. I’ll defer that one to people who actually are pilots.

I love the default planes in MSFS for what they are - accessible aircraft that anyone can get flying. They have enough depth to provide an interesting challenge for noobs and casual flyers who choose to dig deeper, but are still simple enough to operate that anyone can get one airborne and zip around in seconds without reading (and understanding) the POH first.

Seriously, I hope someone makes a study-level TMB 900 series. I love everything about the default plane, but it’s just lacking in systems depth compared to the real thing. It would be incredible to have a full-featured G3000, proper turboprop logic, correct startup sequence, etc. I’d be all over that like white on rice, regardless of cost, if someone made a good one.

3 Likes

It is the prettiest “simulator”. I fly it using only bear bones functionality (completely manual or alt + heading hold only) now seeing so much doesn’t work properly or at all. I’m a realism counts kind of flyer.

It is a now what I’d call a “bad” simulator in general, it started off as just very average but each patch has made it worse. Sure, bugs will be fixed, but I’ve lost confidence that we will see good fixes for around 12 months going by thier own roadmap. Maybe even never unless there is some change to the quality of the patches.

1 Like

there is no best sim, they all have a different focus, as far as scenery generation I could say yes it is the best native scenery, flight realism? by far not, but it is a young product, hopefully it will improve, one thing I quickly realized is it is not easy to user modify unless you are skilled at various technical skills and they have done a good job of making it hard to find the tools you need to tweak things. so guessing it is not designed as an X plane competitor where you can easily modify parameters to suit.

1 Like

I only used FlightGear before so graphically the difference is night and day.

It has the best scenery, but for simulation (phsyics, weather, …) I’d think others simulators to be more realistic than MSFS. Hopefully this improves with third party developments.

I’d like to see some documentation though, because I see a lot of guessing on the forum about if and how some things work (thermals, turbulence, weather, icing, …)

Best “simulator”, I think it depends on what you expect from a “flight simulator”. I expect it to be “as real as it gets” and I don’t think MSFS is there yet, except graphically.