FS2020 the best simulator?

Just give it time to mature, nothing will be able to keep pace with MSFS. We all want it to be perfect because we all know the massive potential here… It is so good, even with its current issues… that is what is pushing and driving most of the criticism.

For arguments sake, I can’t interact with any of the circuit breakers on the PMDG planes, so they are technically INOP. Does that mean they aren’t study level anymore?

But I get it to a point, the want for increased systems, the resemblance to reality, but it is a sim at the end of the day, no sim can match reality 1 to 1.

1 Like

Even the real deal flight sims airline pilots train on aren’t 100% perfect, so I wouldn’t expect MSFS to or any 3rd party product to be either. We have to be realistic about this.

It’s all about getting a higher degree of fidelity. Right now, MSFS can’t match the level of systems fidelity you get in FSX or XP due to the incomplete SDK.

That is because you are likely talking about Flight Navigation Procedure Trainers (FNPT), as the name suggests they have never been ultimately designed to represent the flight dynamics 100% accurate, instead the flight dynamics are made “acceptable”.

No, LMAO.

Literally any other game is better, even RFS.

Why? AT least you can download and play those games with minimal issues.

1 Like

I’m absolutely loving MSFS2020!
This is by far the best flight simulator. And Im pleased to see how they keep improving it and also try to listen to the (not always easy to handle) community with all their different opinions on what is most important now and so on. I think they are handling this pretty much perfectly …

That really depends on what you are looking for, for VFR flying MSFS might be the best simulator on the market? From a visual perspective it sure is, from flight dynamics and system perspective I’m not too sure. For IFR flying FS2020 is definitely not the best out there, I made a list of items in need of fixing. Most of which is functionality already available in FSX or even FS9 from the start…

Simply put it this way, if you take the stunning visuals away, is there anything to be excited about? I would say no and for people interested in those amazing graphics that might be acceptable, other people are interested in a realistic flight simulator, low visibility take-offs and landings, accurate flight dynamics etc. for those people there are (at this moment) better options in my opinion.

1 Like

The planes are so basic and lacking functionality at the moment (at least the airliners) that I never end up using the sim for more than 25 minutes at a time. Combined with the numerous performance issues I have (mainly the “limited by mainthread” stutters despite having a 9700k @ 4.8ghz), I still prefer XP by a long shot. It may not be as pretty, but it simply runs much better and has several decent aircraft addons available for it

1 Like

I saw an A330 passing overhead when I went for a run this afternoon with nice vortices from the tips and flaps. I started to think, how can Asobo be so proficient with all the stunning visuals and graphics, weather including rainbows, rain effects, lightning and what not but completely overlooked contrails, water spray from wheels, condensation effects, jet blast etc. I’m not really into those visual goodies anyway but it has me wondering if the focus has been on aircraft and simulating flight realistically or creating a world scenery simulator… In a way it is almost like aircraft are a afterthought.

Future definitely with MSFS as long as some things can be ironed out and performance enhanced :+1:

1 Like

I wouldn’t call either study level.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine using another simulator. Contrary to many opinions on these forums, I think the program has steadily improved since release in August, especially since the update last week.

1 Like

Best can mean different things, but on balance I think it is. Flying in other simulators now isn’t as much fun for me given the lack of ‘reality’ that MSFS has now. I do miss the 3 screens I can use on others-it is much more immersive from a flight perspective. However, even there the 3 screens display the thing that I miss most from MSFS, the close to real scenery. None of the others allow you to fly pretty much anywhere in the world and see a somewhat representative (sometimes more than somewhat) view of what it looks like. I’m optimistic that over the next year the interface issues (CTDs and odd lock ups like those I’ve had, that required some work to diagnose) will start to disappear, and the flight dynamics of planes will continue to improve. I think it is a great program with a great future, and very satisfying to fly now.

I love the graphics of the FS2020, you cannot compare it to any other Sim. Once you’ve played it you can’t go back to you old Sim. I used Prepar3D the last 2 years and spend a lot of money into addons, planes, etc…
The simulation part of Prepar3D is still better than FS2020, but I am sure that the community will do their best to get it better.

2 Likes

Lost interest, only fly in DCS.

Hello everyone,

I definitely consider it the best flight simulator! Just watch this video!

With this video everybody finally understands the kind of know-how behind it. I am deeply impressed by the technology, the idea and the creativity. They created such an intelligent software to run this great thing.

My whole respect goes to Jörg Neumann and the Asobo team and the fact that they offer us something like this.

Even if you can’t get out in times of the corona pandemic, I’ll just take a look at our earth right her! :-).

It’s a real shame to hear the criticism from all the people who apparently know-it-all!

This flight simulator is far from being finished and lives of course also from constructive criticism. But please with a little bit more respect.

One day you’ll be able to drive cars, ships and trains there.
I see so much potential behind it, not just for flight simulation. There are unlimited possibilities to use this platform.

I’ve been with MSFS since the late 80’s and I also understand something about flying in real life.

The product is fantastic so far! If you don’t understand what hard work is behind this project, you have to go after something else and not just grumble!

Thank you very much Jörg Neumann and Asobo Team for this great adventure and the unforgettable experience of enjoying our world so close and real!

Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

True Dat!!!

No offence but 90% of that video is graphics. Its all nice and fine but there is clear evidence that the Asobo teams knowledge does not extend far beyond PPL level, the spin explanation is already wrong for example. You can see they have experience in game development, everything looks truely fantastic but from a simulation stand point having nice graphics is only part of the equation.

Will it eventually get there? Probably but is FS2020 the best flight SIMULATOR, not at this moment in my opinion. It is the best looking “kind of simulator” for sure. There is just too much missing and broken functionality to really call it flight simulator, especially in the IFR department.

I made a whole list of things, most of which was already available at release of FSX or even FS9, voting is appreciated.

It seems like there are really two camps right now, on one side you have the people interested in the nice graphics and they are happy. And on the other side there is hardcore flight simmers who don’t give much about the nice graphics or are at least more interested in the simulation part, and for them its a different story, if you take the nice visuals away there is not that much to be excited about.

3 Likes

And most pre-release too

1 Like

In terms of technology it definitely is the best simulator. It simply needs some more refinement and most of all 3rd party addons.