FSX Freeware Imports

Yes, thanks very much, Rick - I just finished testing both the Chippy and the Jetstream - very happy.

The Chipmunk seems to work well all round - didn’t spot any issues on my quick test flight:

…and the Jetstream looks great - the issues noted were the engine sound, which is constant regardless of throttle setting, and a couple of gauges AWOL - as it’s a beta anyway, it’s far better than I expected and will stay in my operational hangar:

Thanks very much for pointing me towards those models, as well as for building them! :slightly_smiling_face:

JD

1 Like

Hi these look great! I loved the chippie in FSX it will be great if Rick and your self can make these available😁

1 Like

The glossiness should be relatively easy to adjust, if you don’t mind me having a crack at it, Rick? I’ve currently got my JF Chippie looking and flying quite well in MSFS.

1 Like

Just a note, all my models will eventually be converted to MSFS native, starting with the Rapide which should be released soonish.

Dave G.

6 Likes

Thank you Rick, and now Dave too for posting here. More than a quarter of a century ago, when I released “VIP Classic Wings”, I never thought that I would still be Flight simming this many years later. Nor did I think that seeing long familiar names popping up again would make me feel that WE had become the classics! Nice to see you chaps here. And Rick, you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers. - Kenneth

2 Likes

That’s great news, Dave - I’ve been desperately trying to get the glorious Beaufighter converted, with no luck at all!

Looking forward to them, thanks for letting us know.

Regards
JD

1 Like

Dave, I forgot to say - hopefully you will include a donation link in your packages for this sim.

I know that isn’t why you do it, but I think there will be many people who would be happy to send some beer tokens your way as a display of appreciation for your efforts, and a little extra cash is always nice…

I’m hoping Flying Stations will also do some of their older models (Sea Fury, Buccaneers, Canberras) for 2020. Maybe even the carriers, if we ever get that function added (or even if we don’t!).

2 Likes

Dave’s Beaufighter ports over pretty well , the flight dynamics in MSFS are a little squirrely however.

I’ve swapped in a different glass texture on my own sim.

And here’s Rick’s beautiful Chipmunk after a bit of tweaking to remove the glossiness …

1 Like

That’s strange - I’ve attempted to import the Beaufighter twice and both times it failed - didn’t even show up in the sim.

I saw Rick’s comment on the glossy finish with the Chippy, but didn’t notice it myself. I’ll have a look next time - just did a very quick test to check it was working and tend to only spend long enough “outside” to take a quick screenie and this wasn’t a bright day. Even then, that’s only on flights for “public” tests - I normally stay in VR :slightly_smiling_face:

• if you look at my screenshot, it doesn’t look glossy there.
1 Like

OK - got the Beaufighter working now - it’s strange how you can get CTDs or other major issues sometimes and others everything works just fine.

Just did another testing sesh and many models look very nice in the sim (selection below) but the VCs are a complete mess. I also get issues with starting engines - on multi-engines it’s really frustrating to be able to start one engine but not the other because the switches in the VC won’t work (Tom Piglet’s Mohawk is a good example) or I get the engines started, but the plane is stuck in place.

Oh well. These are those that looked good but had dismal VCs that I think aren’t fixable - plus that Mohawk and the Beaufighter pre-canopy fix:

1 Like

You mention a canopy fix. Have you tried Dave’s two seat Hunter yet? The glass in my conversion is not converting as his single seat versions are. If you try it and get it working, share what you did. Thanks.

I’ve not tried Dave’s 2 seater model as yet so will give that a go over the weekend. I did get these early jets installed though…

@KJKerr Ok no problem - I actually have a little folder full of various glass textures that I try - it seems not all glass that works with one model will work with another - but the first thing that comes to mind in this case is copying the canopy - or glass textures from the single seater and putting it in the texture folders for the trainers.

Bit late and I’m up early tomorrow, so if no-one else steps in, I’ll try it tomorrow and take you through it if you’re not sure :wink: (edit - if DJ hasn’t done it already by then)

btw DJ - I tried the CM170 and got the “no vc model” message. Or is that the other one you’ve done? (can’t remember what it’s called) - I thought they had used the CM170 cockpit for it?

Not tried the others there - I’ve got some Rob Richardson Meteors on my list for tomorrow. Lots yet to try :slight_smile:

The Fouga is the FSX Restauravia model. The vc shows up fine for me. I tend to edit the models in MCX too in order to add my own glass textures and to manipulate the model properties.

post removed by author

Oh I really wish I could have that!

What Aircraft is this? I like the look of it!

Are these available anywhere or is this only for those who can mod?

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the post, it’s only the outside that looks great. The cockpit is lacking. There are 3 different variants of the Mohawk - the B, C and D. The B was the worst one and I wouldn’t try as it would be too much work to get it to an acceptable level. The C and D flew okay but IIRC I had issues starting both engines because it’s not possible to operate the switches in the VC. The cockpits would be okay with the addition of missing gauges.

When it spawns at an airfield in-sim, it’s set up for starting the left engine and I could do that quite easily, but it was impossible to operate the starter for the right engine. If I started in the air, as with the screenshot, everything is already running. Even if you start on the runway, though, the engines aren’t running, so it’s air starts only to fly this plane.

I’ll see if I can find a screenshot of what the VC looked like - I took some of cockpits to post on my website and it may be one of them. The model itself is freeware by Tom “Piglet” Conrad and you should be able to find it on a freeware download site such as AVSIM Library or Flightsim or such-like. It would need converting to FS2020 and that is what the video guide is for.

edit - found those shots - yes, it would need a bit of fixing. I included shots of the engine starting example, too:

and this is what the cockpit looks like with all the gauges missing (which could possibly be fixed with a bit of work):

So far from ideal.

Thank you!

Well, the outside looks decent and would be cool to look at while flying around msfs20.

Thanks for the info. I’m not much of a mod/convertor so I’ll just have to wait to see if it becomes available for drag and drop later down the road.

1 Like

You’re welcome - I’m sure many models will get updated for FS2020 in the coming months and years, if not new versions released.

1 Like