FSXSCENERY KHYA - Safe download?

This very nice looking payware download requires me to run an .EXE, Windows Defender flagged it as suspect. This is the first add-on I’ve seen like this. Any idea if this is problematic or not?

Where did you get this addon?

simMarket.

simMarket: FSXCENERY - KHYA BARNSTABLE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT MSFS

Windows Defender is flagging the exe because it wasn’t code-signed with a certificate, so it is just letting you know that it can’t be authenticated. Since you got it from SimMarket, that pretty well takes care of authentication. If FSXCENERY were distributing malware in their exes, I’d think it would already be known by now. While their scenery tends to be lower quality, they are prolific so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’ve gotten the same warning from some of the highest end developers as well. Getting a certificate and code-signing is a bit of a pain, so my experience has been that small shops don’t tend to do it.

1 Like

One thing to note, it suffers from the typical mycompany\modellib.bgl issue so many developers do. You’ll want to rename these and then update the layout.json appropriately.

Pretty nice addon otherwise. Hope they update it over time and add some life. But, not bad.

Is there a quick guide for dumb folks like me anywhere abouts?

1 Like

There’s this

or you could also read my probably confusing rant

2 Likes

If you have the MSFS Addons Linker it has a tool to scan for this and fix it. There’s also one on flightsim.to

2 Likes

@somethingbrite

Cheers. Good to see it spelled out :slight_smile:

Awesome!

1 Like