Full range of throttle not used in simulation. No documentation

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No. Interesting point though. If there are any changes made by accident would those persist once DevMode is exited and the game restarted?

Brief description of the issue:
Only 75% of physical throttle range used within sim.
“Throttle 1 Axis” registers full range within config menu but does not register in simulation until +25% (0>24% do nothing)

Throttle 1 Axis (0-100%) registers full range within config menu but only registers from +50% in simulation. Presumably this behaviour is for reverse thrust control. Where is this documented?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
N/A

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Bind any regular axis to “Throttle Axis” and enter simulation with any aircraft.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
8086k, rtx 3090, 32gb RAM, 2xnvme ssd’s 1xsata ssd. Virpil Alpha+WarBRD joystick, Virpil CM2 Throttle, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil rudder pedals.
(all of this hardware performs perfectly well in other games including IL-2 CloD and IL-2 BoX)

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Not yet.

If you were using a Logitech, I would have linked you to the page describing a Regedit fix. The symptoms are very similar to yours and removing the hardware has worked for Logitech. You may want to try that if you’re comfortable with Regedit.

What does the edit address? The game?
Outside of msfs2020 my throttles are fine.
Even within the msfs2020 config I see the full range of my throttle axes from 0>100%

It’s only once I’m in a plane that I’m getting nothing between 0 and 25%

I’m pretty sure that if I were to bind a throttle axis to fuel mix or prop pitch it would register 0>100% (I didn’t actually test this directly tonight but I did bind an axis that I usually have bound to mix to throttle 1 axis and it had the same -25% range inhibit once set as a throttle.

Which aircraft?
It sounds like normal response if your turboprop/airliner and you are just not use to engine(s) spooling up.

How is the reaction on prop a/c, still a gap?
For those there should not be any.

Other than that:
I,ve lots of issues with logitech Quad drivers over the years, they’ve caused issues for many many folks, in previous fsx 2004 etc. I can remember manually searching the entire registry and removing everything logitech related to fix a different issue once…grrr

Here is the thread (with Regedit solution) for Logitech/Saitek.

It would be any and all aircraft. It appears that this is a configuration feature but as it’s undocumented it’s very hard to see how to maximize its potential.

There are two columns of cells to add your input device to. Adding an input device axis to the right most column will then also add another entry to the left column and reduce output range. - presumable for split axes to then have a negative axis movement space?

1 Like

I realize your not using Saitech throttle, but may help…
Just did a reinstall ( changed out mobo/cpu ) & new windows install. May as well start from scratch… :grinning:
Didn’t use manufacture drivers at all, just let windows discover and set up Rudder, Quads and Yoke. That all worked well, except quad #2 had a similar issue with only 50% use on axis x & y (50 to100 only) but z was fine at 100%. (0 to 100)

I tried to manually calibrate in windows but was showing the same issue. Finally just hit default and problems solved, working fine with full axis.

I have the same issue with X52 pro throttle - works fine in P3D v5 but has limited effect in free flight in MSFS2020. During “flight training” scenarios the throttle will show movement in the aircraft but engine doesn’t accelerate.

Thanks

Ok, this is interesting but may be a different issue.

In my testing the simulated throttle control does not move until either 25% or 50% of my real world throttle range has been reached.

Mapped as a regular “Throttle 1 Axis” into the left cell column gives full range of travel in game.

Mapped to “Throttle 1 Axis” but into the right cell column results in range of travel reduced by 25%

(Note, throttle 1, 2, 3 etc all the same)

"Throttle 1 Axis (0-100%) however reduces range by 50%

There is a similar issue with the Mixture setting. To get full range you need to set the Axis for Mixture to the -100% to 100%. Otherwise you only get half the range of your mixture axis.

1 Like