Fuzzy Avionics Screens with DLSS

I’ve noticed the avionic screens in all aircraft have become noticeably less sharp in SU10 when using DLSS for Anti Aliasing. See comparisons below:

With DLSS:

TAA Anti Aliasing:

Is there anyway to harness the FPS performance increase that comes with DLSS but retain clarity on cockpit screen displays somehow?

Yep that’s what DLSS does, it is a glorified super sampling I am not sure why people here think is good for a flight simulator; really all it takes is understanding how it works, of course they are fuzzy your resolution is “fake”, lowered and super sampled, anything that would require high pixel count per inch will look rubbish.

DLSS is fine to play Fortnite or anything that you do not really care about visuals :slight_smile: or better, for raytracing as RTX cards cannot really raytrace that well without DLSS.

One has to give credit to marketing @ Nvidia, they are up there with the best, selling what you do not need for what you do as if you actually do by showing anything they want on a power point :slight_smile:

5 Likes

this was reported in the first beta, there’s information about what they say they might do to improve it in future on the thread:

wait until you start noticing the horrible ghosting/smearing that happens on digital instruments when the numbers are changing.

DLSS works fine in external view or with some GA aircraft with analogue instruments (or if you dont care about clarity).
I expect people will start complaining more when they notice the quality issues it has. For now it seems like the majority is completely blinded by the fps-increase.

using renderscale instead seems to be the best option if you want qualiy AND fps still.

I mostly fly tubeliners, and it feels like i need glasses if Im using DLSS, so I rather use TAA and lower renderscale - even if i have to sacrifice 5 fps.

2 Likes

I am a real life Captain, this sort of blurring that I am experiencing is totally unacceptable. Unless this can be immediately addressed by Asobo and/or Nvidia my advice would be keep DLSS off in all aircraft as it ruins the simulation realism especially at night.

4 Likes

I am not sure if anyone has tried this but I increase the secondary scaling in the CFG to 1.20 while keeping DLSS on Quality. Its still not as crisp as TAA but I have noticed the Glass cockpit instruments are a bit clearer to read.
I am late to the party. Mentioned on another thread!

You might prefer using DLSS+DLAA mode once on SU11; this runs the DLSS algorithm at full resolution exactly, so performs similarly to TAA, but retains sharpness.

IMHO on avionics screens like the Garmins it does much better than TAA when still – things are less aliased on the screens and look better but are still sharp – but it has the same temporal ghosting problems as upscaled DLSS when things move or change on the screens.

I used SU11 beta when it launched. DLSS+DLAA= Performance killer on my 2060super. Maybe a different case on the 4090 with frame generation. DLSS Quality although not the best in cockpit display quality gives me the biggest performance gain.

Interesting… On my 2070 Super at 1440p I get about the same frame rate with TAA and DLSS+DLAA in SU11 beta.

1440p as in? I am running 3440x1440 ultrawide. There is about 5-10fps difference from 2560x1440 on my GPU. The 2070super is faster. Maybe lesser of a performance hit.

Same, 3440x1440. Mostly “high” settings with some pumped to Ultra and one (texture resolution) down to medium. Frame rates in GA planes typically ~45 when very clear, ~35-40 often, and as little as 30 at major airports in the Los Angeles area. Slightly below 30 taxxing around the middle of LAX with default traffic injection settings on FSLTL.

Generally I’ve found no noticeable reduction from DLSS+DLAA in fps, but TAA avoids the ghosting on avionics so I stick with it.

Glad to hear you’re having good performance. I do plan on upgrading my GPU. The 4080 is on my list but I am afraid that will be gone on launch day. Bummer the fuzzy screen and ghosting are the biggest immersions killers with DLSS.

1 Like