G-SYNC and Nvidia Control Panel

Hello to all,

for those who have G-SYNC activated, in the Nvidia control panel how did you set the options related to vertical synchronization, monitor technology and preferred refresh rate in the program settings of MSFS?

Now I have them like this, but maybe I have to change something?

(sorry but the driver is in Italian language)!

You do not need to force it in the MSFS game profile. Set it as full screen in the main selection Nvidia menu(Imposta G-SYNC), Turn on Vsync inside the Sim, And set your FPS inside the sim to 60 fps. Gsync will switch off if frame rate drops below 30 fps.

1 Like

So I leave these three parameters according to the default setting?

Yes. There is no point in using the Nvidia profile for MSFS. Leave all the options default. Configure the Main Nvidia global options like power to maximum performance and texture filtering to high quality etc(personal choices) then set all your options inside MSFS. The reason is if you set MSFS Nvidia profile with specific G-sync settings the global settings just override it.

I did as you said and in fact the synchronization works and everything is very smooth, BUT … with these settings I have unbearable flashes. I saw that the problem has already been reported, so it’s not just my system:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/g-sync-causes-subtle-yet-rapid-flickering/366615

Doesn’t that happen to you?

My monitor is MSI Optix MAG322CQR

I do not have that problem. I have a ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 43" 144Hz 4K UHD. Have you checked if the Windows HD is on? Sounds like MSFS is flicking between HD and SD. I’m using NVIDIA driver 471.96 because it just works for me with no bugs. Try a clean graphics driver install.

Max Frame Rate 73 (running a 75hz monitor).
Monitor Tech - G-Sync compatible.
V-Sync forced on in NCP and disabled in game.

HDR is off, but the problem (reading carefully the post I linked) seems to be related to the monitor:

One of the parameters they fail to meet is the presence of flickering whenever the framerate (and consequently the refresh rate) varies quickly and significantly. That’s because these panels are brighter at higher refresh rates, and when the game (any game, not only MSFS) produces stutters and the refresh rate varies quickly between values above and below the minimum VRR supported (typically 48 Hz), you have rapid brightness variations (flickering) due to rapid transitions between 48 and ~100+ Hz.

Probably the flashing I see comes from the change in fps causing a change in the refresh rate that causes a quick change in brightness. Paradoxically, the problem is that perhaps the native refresh rate of the monitor (165) is too high compared to that of G-SYNC due to an FPS that hovers (on ground) between 40 and 55.

But in this case I could try to limit the fps in the NCP and the problem should go away.

I have just tried out G-sync and like the latency and performance boost. However like you said I do occasionally get flashing.

So lower your refresh rate to match the FPS MSFS is! If you get 50 fps set a custom refresh rate to 50 hz. Right click windows desktop, Display settings, Advanced display settings and select 50hz. Then in Nvidia control panel make sure desktop resolution is 50hz. just because the default hz is 165hz does not mean you have to keep that. The whole purpose is to keep FPS Vsync and Gsync the same to prevent tearing.

FWIW, it doesn’t look like your monitor isn’t listed on the NVIDIA Supported Monitors list but this list may be out-of-date. NVIDIA Supported Monitors. I suppose NCP wouldn’t allow specifying G-Sync for non-G-Sync monitors.

I agree with an earlier post that recommends using the default setting to allow the app to specify all the graphics parameters. Since G-Sync dynamically adjusts the monitor refresh rate to the application frame rate, there is no need to set the monitor refresh rate or to set a maximum. G-Sync doesn’t change FPS so there aren’t any G-Sync parameters. It is either on or off.

One thing to check if you are still having issues is the monitor driver in Windows Device Manager. Generally, Windows provides a generic monitor driver that works for most monitor. Check the monitor manufacturer for a current monitor specific driver that should be used.

I can’t lower it beyond 60:

Immagine 2021-11-21 155507

But other than that, I don’t understand why I should do it. Shouldn’t that be exactly what G-SYNC does, smoothing the monitor frequency to FPS? Why should I force the frequency down?

Have patience but in life I take care of something completely different. But I like to learn and know.

I thought so too.

I downloaded them. Now let’s see if things improve.

G-Sync automatically and dynamically sets the refresh rate of the monitor for each frame. No need for the user to do anything. G-Sync and VSYNC are completely different. Using G-Sync should reduce or eliminate the need to set VSYNC. Personally, I have turned off VSYNC only using G-Sync and I have no problems with screen tearing. However, some people have enabled both…

1 Like

I see this advice lately and have to counter with why not have your refresh rate at 100hrz for 50fps ?

Myself I prefer a panel at least at 60hrz.

I’ve seen one poster that claims 24hrz is great?!?!?!?

That’s right, that’s exactly why I don’t understand why I should limit it if G-SYNC takes care of it.

1 Like

A limit to a comfortable frame rate allows your CPU (if main thread limited) to “catch up” is the easiest way to say it.

The most important thing I can say about any frame rate syncing is …

“if you are not experiencing tearing no form of v-sync is necessary”

… the best thing that can come of syncing is reducing your maximum settings just that tiny bit below your GPU at 100% and the best possible refresh rate,