G-SYNC causes subtle yet rapid flickering

Try Hotfix Driver Version 461.51

G-sync compatible enabled and I play all day without any problems.

Specs:
LG 27GL850-B (freesync enabled), Z370 Tomahawk, i9 9900K, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X trio drivers 461.51, 32GB ram.

edit

Note that your monitor not on g-sync compatible list
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Yeah ik, but itā€™s freesync so itā€™s also ā€œg-sync compatibleā€ although its not on an official list

?? Isnā€™t the latest 461.40? Which one is this?

and not tested for G-SYNC compatibility :wink:

edit

Latest hotfix

GeForce Hotfix display driver version 461.51 is based on our latest [Game Ready Driver 461.40] (the one iā€™m using) and nothing mentioned about fixing MSFS G-SYNC issues in the notes.

With 461.51 I play all day without any problems :wink:

Well just installed the hotfix and the problem is still there :wink:

1 Like

Lol. I downgraded to 460.89 and there is no flickering as far as I can see. Maybe you can try it too

1 Like

Just installed that also (clean install) and the problem is still there.
Itā€™s just the sim thatā€™s borked not the Nvidia driver.

Not seeing any major difference. Will be reverting back. Why half Bold? :skull:

This is a monitor issue, not a FS bug. Many GSync and Freesync monitors do that, especially the cheaper models.

It didnā€™t do that before the update. So not a monitor issue. And my Acer Predator monitor is not a cheap model either.

It didnā€™t do it before the update simply because before the update FS2020 ran in borderless window mode and GSync/Freesync was not working at all.
See here: v1.13.16.0 - screen tearing not a bug but a design change - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

People that call it a design changeā€¦ :upside_down_face:
If I want the game to run full screen with G-SYNC on and I canā€™t do that because it is causing problems itā€™s a bug.

I was able to eliminate almost all of the brightness flickering while using G-Sync/FreeSync by doing this:

I run a Nvidia RTX 3070 with a MSI Optix FreeSync display. I get around 40-55 FPS in MSFS. My display has a VRR of 48-100 Hz that I changed to 65-100 Hz using CRU. I also set the FPS limiter at 50 and activate V-sync via Nvidia CP. What it does is forcing the display to run at twice or triple the game FPS. Brightness difference between 65 and 100 Hz is WAY less noticable that between 48 and 100 Hz.

Hope it helps!

Unless you need the latest driver version, I downgraded my Nvidia drivers to 460.89 and flickering and stuttering issues are gone. Might be worth a try.

i think there is even an easier way to fix the flickering with freesync go to nvidia control panel / manage 3d setting / program settings find Microsoft flight simulator in the list and set monitor technology to fixed refresh and set vertical sync at the bottom of the list to fast
thatā€™s what i did and the flickering has gone

Well thatā€™s silly Its an MSFS problem the problem was not there before! clearly its a bug.

No, you need to understand how things work.
Many GSync and GSync compatible monitors (Freesync) are not fully certified by nVidia for the full GSync experience. One of the parameters they fail to meet is the presence of flickering whenever the framerate (and consequently the refresh rate) varies quickly and significantly. Thatā€™s because these panels are brighter at higher refresh rates, and when the game (any game, not only MSFS) produces stutters and the refresh rate varies quickly between values above and below the minimum VRR supported (typically 48 Hz), you have rapid brightness variations (flickering) due to rapid transitions between 48 and ~100+ Hz.

In previous MSFS builds, the sim was running in a borderless window even when the setting was ā€œFull screenā€, and taking into consideration that 99% of the users keep the default GSync setting (VRR only for full screen applications), the issue did not manifest, simply because GSync was NOT working at all for them.
The reason why you wonā€™t see flickering with other games, is simply the fact that they are not as heavy as MSFS and run constantly above the minimum VRR of your monitor.

Now, with the latest MSFS build (and previous ones, provided that the user applied Gsync both for full screen and windowed mode) AND a fully GSync certified monitor, the flickering issue would not manifest.

Flickering is 100% due to the monitor, not to the software.

I have a fully certified G-sync monitor and also the flickering problem in MSFS, when I turn off G-sync (for both full and borderless window) I get screen tearing, when i turn on VSync (30 or 60 hz) the performance is not the same as before the world update.

The real is issue here is they changed something in MSFS that is causing these problems ( I donā€™t have flickering with other games, for example: Star Citizen a non optimized beta game that runs at similar framerates as MSFS most of the time)

2 Likes