G2: Steam or MS Store version for VR?

I’ve read as much as I can find on performance settings, OpenXR etc, including @CptLucky8 ’s super-helpful guides; and I understand that OpenXR is presently working better than SteamXR. But what I don’t understand is whether - for the G2 - it will make any difference whether I buy from Steam or MS Store, bearing in mind different implementations of XR. If I buy from Steam, can I choose to use OpenXR, and if so would there be any performance cost? I realise this is probably a basic question - but would be really grateful for an answer that a non-techie like me can understand!

1 Like

Am pretty certain it doesn’t make any difference in that respect.

1 Like

Thanks, @BeardyBrun . So I could just use WMR OpenXR rather than SteamVR OpenXR if I were to buy from Steam, without performance penalty compared to running WMR OpenXR if I were to buy from MS Store? I’m thinking particularly of @CptLucky8 ’s post in this thread: VR vs Quality Sacrifice - #28 by CptLucky8

“At this time, WMR OpenXR is working better than SteamVR OpenXR. However, this might also be due to some “proprietary” or “specific” OpenXR implementation details in the WMR driver which is serving custom needs for FS2020 (both Microsoft apps). It might be nothing but the WMR OpenXR v104 includes specific references (code) internally to “FS2020” (I didn’t check v105).”

Also @CptLucky8 ’s post here: Don't set location of OpenXR runtime with the registry, use OpenXR Loader Specs instead - #9 by CptLucky8

I’ve just updated the post with new information because SteamVR 1.16.6 released since my post is now reversing the trend for me with the Index. You can in any case choose which OpenXR driver you want (WMR or SteamVR) regardless of the FS2020 version (MSFT or Steam)

1 Like

That quote is just referring to the runtime used, which store you bought it from isn’t relevant to that… you can choose to run the Windows store version on the Steam OXR runtime or the steam version on the windows OXR runtime and vice versa.

To the best of my knowledge there is no practical functional difference between whether your launcher is on steam or on Windows store, even though they are apparently technically separate games (eg a purchase on the windows version in game store won’t carry across to the steam version irritatingly).

1 Like

Thank you everyone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.