G36 Improvement Project

Did you try to desactivate lens effect in graphic settings?

Yes, this is just the Fresnel lenses in the headset. Bright objects in the peripheral cause glare streaks.

Ideal solution is to get an oled non Fresnel based headset. But those cost thousands.

Iā€™ve only got this is the Bonanza. I donā€™t have it with any other aircraft.

Itā€™s supper annoying! I tend to sit further forward if itā€™s night time. Iā€™ve seen it in other airplanes, forget which, but I donā€™t think there as prominent as they are in the G36 just given the geometry.

I just upgraded to better rudder pedals and practiced some crosswind landing and taxing. With a 9 knot crosswind just before touch down, I needed 100% rudder on ground and it managed to keep me going straight after a wobble to the side.

Is that normal/reasonable amount of rudder? I know ground transition is one of the most complained about aspects of the sim.

In real life? No way but in the sim, well you got it under controlā€¦!

Been doing more crosswind work. Given 8 to 10 knots crosswind and roughly 30+ knots airspeed on takeoff or landing Iā€™m having to go 100% rudder, leading wing dipped and brake on that side occasionally pumped too.

Then there is this transition near roll speed that I can never get quite right where go from windmill to getting blown the other direction.

Just watched a ton of real videos of the G36 landing in 17 knot crosswind. I do think something in the simā€™s ground handling is seriously messed up.

Iā€™m pretty sure the ground handling is a known issue in the sim, always has been. The winds aloft seem more realistic now, at least for me.

Did you see this oneā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m researching some of those parameters above. Itā€™s so bad Iā€™d almost prefer eliminating it al together. I think a 9 knot crosswind in MSFS acts more like 30 knots on the ground.

In all the videos I watched the G36 pilots were able to control the airplane on the ground like it was nothing. Sure you need rudder and aileron work.

They seemed more nervous on approach, but in MSFS Iā€™m nervous on the ground.

1 Like

Yes! I always crack up hearing the 500 call when watching these.

In the sim he would have been in the grass and taken out a few lights.

Are you using aileron into the wind as well? With a large crosswind you wonā€™t have sufficient rudder authority to prevent weather vaning. See here https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/maneuvers/how-to-make-a-perfect-crosswind-landing-every-time-touchdown/#:~:text=After%2DLanding%20Rollout,rudder%20to%20stay%20on%20centerline.

Edit: read your comments more carefully. Seems like youā€™re doing so. Guess the ground handling needs more work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great videos all,

Iā€™m happy to look at ground handling again, there are a few more variables we can play with now that SU11 is coming in. Currently testing and tweaking in the Beta.

5 Likes

I think much of it could also be lack of feel. We canā€™t feel the wind, movements, control surface pressure, etc. So it requires some guess work.

Still, I donā€™t think 100%+ rudder should be required around half the airplaneā€™s max limit.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just swapped to the Velocity One yoke, so my flying is all over the place at the moment, so yes, a lot of feel is missing, but youā€™re right 100% deflection isnā€™t that great.

I will add it to the list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you like it? I just swapped to their rudder pedals. I use a stick now and will be trying out an old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 soon. I think a Yoke might make for easier flying, but only if it had true force feedback.

The rudder pedals are way better than my prior Logitech ones. But they have a great deal or range, which makes the 100% rudder deflection all the more apparent.

Speaking of force feedback, does the G36 have a default force feedback profile? I find it odd there are sim variables, even though MSFS has no native support.

I havenā€™t flown the Bonanza with the Mod for quite a while now, been concentrating on getting my DA62 handling up to speed. However, it is now time to get back into the G36. I recall that there was a separate aircraft for the Improvement model in the aircraft selection panel, but that isnā€™t there anymore. I do have the Mod aircraft in my Community Folder (although possibly needs an update). Has the post mod aircraft become the default or am I missing something?

Not much has changed recently, might be worth checking the folders, Iā€™m sorry to say an extra folder snuck into the last release

1 Like

Many thanks.