G36 Improvement Project

Testing the checklist and plane some more. Few observations:

• When you run through the engine start checklist and set full throttle and run the fuel pump and check the fuel flow, it jumps instantly to 16.4GPH and again instantly to zero when you turn the pump off. This could use a bit of a smooth transition.

• Alternator 2 load does not appear to show much anything on the bar gauge, even though it does show 20 in the Systems page when you test 2000rpm. Maybe the scale is just such that it barely shows positive load of maybe one or two pixel widths?

• Is the A/C unit supposed to be powered via the switch? Is it possible to dim the air conditioning panel if you have A/C switched off? Or is the control panel powered regardless of the A/C operation?

• Before taxi checklist has BUS1 voltage check twice (typo, should be BUS2?)

• Is it possible to adjust the granularity of flood light brightness? Even the lowest setting is fairly bright.

• Testing magnetos does not really drop ~150 RPMs (~20-30rpm only)

• FLC mode seems to depend on your throttle setting, So, if you cruise at, say 135KIAS, select a lower altitude, and set 165KIAS for FLCH, it does not necessarily pitch down, unless you reduce throttle quite a bit. Maybe it has some logic to it but I have been caught by this a few times. The cockpit reference guide for G1000 says you should adjust throttle to match your descent or climb (well, duh) but it does not mention that throttle adjustment would be required for the mode to activate.

Is lean assist and cylinder select on engine pages supposed to work? I get the pages, but they appear just static displays for me, cannot change the displayed cylinder and it does not indicate peak EGT / CHT for any cylinders when I lean.

But despite these issue reports, wow. Nice work and this is such a fun plane to visit places in the virtual world!

2 Likes

In the order of your bullet points:

• I could add this in the same way as for the electrical system. So only for aesthetics.

• ALT1 and ALT2 load are on the same scale, but ALT1 is rated for 100 amps while ALT2 is only rated for 20 amps

• The AC is not really functional yet. The modern climate control unit actually makes the AC switches obsolete.

• The second time it is checked while battery 1 is turned off (ensure it reads 0 volts). This is done to be able to check the actual voltage of BAT2. Because if the buses are tied and BAT1 + 2 are on, BUS2 voltage reads lower than the actual voltage, due to the voltage drop across reverse current blocking diodes installed between BUS1 and BUS2. See POH page 7-41.

• Possibly, will have to look into that. But is of secondary concern for now.

• Iā€™m not exactly sure where this behavior is actually defined in the MSFS files. We may not be able to change this behavior. Note 150 rpm drop is max. I assume we have fresh magnetos in the G36. I donā€™t know much about this topic though, so correct me if I am wrong.

• We or the G1000 team could look into that. I donā€™t use FLC that often personally, so havenā€™t noticed the behavior.

2 Likes

Could one please implement autopilot page in G3X for VL-3?

All G3X needs is a page with buttons to engage different autopilot modes. I didnā€™t look enough into javascript, but I figure it shouldnā€™t be very hard. Any ideas how to implement that missing page in G3X?

(Sorry for high-jacking. Should we start a separate thread on G3X?)

Just installed this and the G1000 packages. Appreciate the full checklist for the G36! Iā€™m just an amateur but I have some questions and issues:

• On the Run Up step of the checklist, auto-completing the ā€œFuel selector, select fullest tankā€ task causes the fuel cutoff to be selected, and the engine shuts down.
  • On the Before Taxi checklist using evaluation mode, cannot proceed past the Lights item. Forcing the completion does nothing. Cannot select the next items on the list.
  • Should the magnetos be set back to both after switching to right for testing? I only know this from the G1000 checklist so I may be wrong.

Hey, hope this helpsā€¦

• The first item is a real annoying bug that Iā€™ve got to sort - sorry.
  • You need to turn the light on, check it works, then off. (Iā€™d like to add an outside view at some point and refactor those checks as they donā€™t feel that intuitive. This will be the same for all the light checks.
  • Yep magnetos back to both; the checklist is looking for the drop rather than ensuring that both are selected. If you take your time checking the assisted checklist completes before your able to go back to both. I might add a delay here.

:slight_smile:

Yes, please. Itā€™s definitely OffTopic here.

Does the CHT gauge work? Iā€™ve installed the mods and I can now lean out the engine just fine, but the CHT gauge never seems to move at all (full rich to just about to cut out lean). Am I missing a mod or is this status quo for the moment?

1 Like

Just installed this and the G1000 packages but I always having problem with AP ā€¦ in every flight I have problems with the autopilot.

Setting VS the aircraft continues to pull up to stall e this happens in every flight.

How I can solve this situation? The aircraft with a/p angaged is impossible to fly.

Regards
Stefano

Ah never mind I see there is a slight change in CHT when I open and close the cowl flaps

1 Like

@FrettFS

Thank you devs for the G36 improvements! So goodā€¦I did find a small typo in the G36 After Landing Checklist :

Landing, Taxi and Strobe Lights As Requred (Required)

Wasnā€™t sure if thereā€™s a place to report items on github. Thanks again for the dedication.

1 Like

@FrettFS

Going to install the mod, and looked at the installation notes. It installed ok. However, I was perusing the thread and it mentioned going into the G1000 addon folder and removing the G36 references. Is that still needed? I didnā€™t see that in the current instructions.

Not needed now.
Just want to make sure itā€™s loading after the G1000 (why it has the ā€œz-ā€ prefix).

I simply set the G1000 mode to look like this: AAAA_G1000. its always first, and no issues with loading priorities.

Yeah, that helps for the Mooney, too, as I guess it has some interference (even though it doesnā€™t have G1000). :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

A quick update on the CHT temps when flying around CO. The cowl flaps being open absolutely helps, keeps them down to ~176deg. However, when reaching cruise altitude which for me around here is 10k+ and usually 12-13K, closing the flaps causes the CHT to rise to ~210deg.

No idea if thatā€™s correct, just following up for others to verify. No idea if it can even be fixed. Also, cruise speed at these alts with the engine leaned to itā€™s highest power was 145kias. Would the higher altitude cause a slower speed like that?

Did you try without this mod? In general even though it changes some performance parameters, it doesnā€™t modify the AP behavior. And the game is still buggy for the AP in general.
So itā€™s rather an MSFS issue than one caused by this mod (until proven otherwise).

I found the best behavior of the AP if I establish in cruise on the GPS track and then enable it (setting NAV+ALT beforehand). Most of the times, climb with FLC worked just fine for me too (set to ~100kts).

I still havenā€™t tested a whole bunch above 10,000, so I canā€™t say as to whether the CHT temps rising over 200 is correct or expected. Iā€™d play with opening your cowl flaps to some percentage and see if that lowers the CHT temp.

As for indicated airspeed, yep, that is correct. Due to the lowered pressure at altitude, there are less molecules of air flowing over the wings. So the 145 indicated youā€™re seeing is effectively what the airplane ā€œfeelsā€ in terms of airflow. However, the true airspeed is appreciably higher than the indicated airspeed. I donā€™t have my E6B on hand, but Iā€™d wager that 145 kias is likely 165 ktas, give or take and depending on the pressure altitude and weather conditions.

Another way of looking at it: from the planeā€™s point of view, it ā€œfeelsā€ the same in terms of airflow at sea level going 145 kias as it does at 12k going 145 kias. But due to lower air density at altitude, you need to move faster to ram an equivalent number of molecules over the wings compared to at sea level. So your true airspeed is higher than at sea level.

1 Like

Just checked the POH and the CHT max is 238Ā°c so itā€™s within the operational limits :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m a bit confused. First time I tried the plane, I saw the lean page on the MFDā€¦now I donā€™t on my second flight (after reloading the sim)?

The first thing to check is that both the G36 Improvement Project and G1000 mods are loaded in the correct order.

Both mods need to be in the Community Folder with the G1000 loading before the G36.

MSFS loads the folders in alphabetical order so you need to ensure that they are named correctly.

To organise my folder Iā€™ve renamed the folders to

• Aircraft_1_workingtitle-g1000,
  • Aircraft_2_bonanza-g36-improvement-project,

This ensures I know what order they are loading in. (OT Also have Scenery_1, Scenery_2)

3 Likes