G36 Improvement Project

Hello, a happy pilot here. Ive never really flown the bonanza in the sim but its a pleasure to read how much detail is going into moddeling the engine and possible faults.

Now bcs I have no idea of nothing I want to ask a couple of question:

Is it normal that the engine just revs down and cuts out when you place the throttle at zero on the ground?

Why does the manifold pressure indicate 29.6 inhg when the engine is turned off and ambient air pressure is about 29.97?

What is a good engine idle speed for a healthy engine?

I found out the answer to my first question: the engine will only turn off if i switched the aux pump to off bcs less throttle- less suction from the tank - less fuel than the engine needs - so it slowly goes down

Really impressed :smiley:

For the first one, Iā€™ve not had the Bonanza engine cut out at engine idle, but I havenā€™t flown her for a little while.

For the second, thatā€™s because the ambient pressure isnā€™t actually 29.97 at your location. It would be, if you were at sea level, however, which is what you aircraft altimeter is calibrated in reference to. But of course, as you go higher in altitude above sea level, the actual atmospheric air pressure goes down, which is what youā€™re seeing in the engine-off manifold pressure.

Thatā€™s also assuming the sim actually modeled the manifold pressure with any degree of realism. I know the manifold pressure does ā€¦ odd things during a climb, but I think thatā€™s largely in how the engines are implimented, not the atmosphere.

A good general idle for props sitting idle on the ground is 1000 rpm, but it varies a bit for each aircraft as some are much more prone to overheating than others, or need to keep their oil pressure above some minimum, etcā€¦ I could be mistaken, but I think the after-engine start checklist in the Bonanza indicates a preferred idle rpm? I prefer paper checkllists which arenā€™t with me atm, and itā€™s been a while since I opened the in-sim checklists.

Thank you for your anwer, well I already dound the answer to the first question. The simulation really impressed me, maybe ill spend more time learning the aircraft.

Yes I guess your right and from what I can remeber QNH doesnā€™t necessarily equal to ambient pressure bcs QNH is only a rough calculation which does not include temperature fluctions. So that might be the answer.

1000 rpm sounds good for me. Now that the engine doesnt cut out when I pull back the throttle back completely it rotates at about 75Ɵrpm which is pretty similiar to other single variable pitch prop engined aircraft so I think 1000rpm is a good value until I get further information.

Again, thank you very much for your quick reply.

Iā€™d check the checklists in the sim, see if thereā€™s an idle figure there. If not, I know the G36 pilot operating handbook is available for free in pdf form from a few places. I canā€™t recall those places off hand, of course (corrected, see next paragraph), but a google search should find a few pretty quickly. Itā€™s definitely a great resource to have, for a mod of this accuracy in particular!

I had to look it up: POH says 1000-1200 rpm for idling on the ground and taxi. Section 4, Normal Operating Procedures is your friend here! Letā€™s see if it will let me post a link: https://aircraftassociates.com/_files/200004882-a3b98a3b9b/bonanza-g36-POH-compressed.pdf

In theory, you should be able to sit in the cockpit, engines off, and rotate your altimeter to 0 ft altitude. The resulting QNH is then your actual air pressure where you are, called the Station Pressure, and it should match the man pressure reading pretty closely. Iā€™ve never done this in the sim, to be honest, but it works that way in real life. Itā€™s a good first check if you suspect a badly calibrated or malfunctioning altimeter.

1 Like

Thank you very much for researching the idle values and a POH link. Definitely gonna check that out.

For now I am getting sometimes like stuck on the ground. It feels like having the brakes apllied because if your doing full throttle and raising the nose Ā“wheel up the aircraft starts moving a bit.

We added a partially complete html POH in 0.6 (open [G36-Pilots-Handbook.html]), although Iā€™ve only got as far as the non-normals; If I can grab a couple days away from work I can get it finished. The POH is in the includes folder as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen other mention that sticking issue, too. I think since the mid-December update. I had it once, ages ago, but in the TBM, and couldnā€™t replicate it again. Somewhere in this thread, around the beginning of the year, it was brought up, though. Sorry, I canā€™t help much on this one.

EDIT: Ok, I was way off on when I saw posts about sticking. Thereā€™s a bunch right above yours, from about 3 days ago. Iā€™d scour those, see if anything helpful was mentioned.

Oh cool, never realized the POH was being included in the zip package! Thatā€™s a great idea!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting there with it, takes a while to get looking right. Once Iā€™ve got it finished I have the code ready to include it in a custom window in-sim, so youā€™ll be able to open the window and reference it straight away.

2 Likes

Just a thought, might not workā€¦ Next time you get stuck on the ground, try hitting the ā€œYā€ key twice. Itā€™s one of the slew functions which I know nothing about, but the bush guys flying the Carbon Cub or the Gravel Cub use it as a quick fix to re-right their plane when they botch a STOL landing and nose over. With the Bonanza, if itā€™s some sort of weird ground interaction happening when you spawn in, maybe that will lift the aircraft onto the ground instead of partially in it? As I said, no clue if itā€™ll work or make things worse, but worth a test next time you get stuck.

1 Like

That might help. I will give it a try next time

This only happened once with me when I requested pushback and was with parking brakes on. After moving and release the brakes the plane got stuck.

Everyone using this mod fine with World Update III? I know they changed some flap stuff but I didnā€™t know if it affected this plane.

The mod isnā€™t loading for me after World Update III. I think it may be a problem with the WT G1000 mod, but Iā€™m not an expert.

I was going to wait to post in case itā€™s me doing something dumb. Still jiggering with it trying to fix it on my own.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled both the G1000 and the G36 mods. I moved one mod in the Community folder out from between the two by renaming it. I donā€™t know what fixed it, but can confirm, mod works with latest World Update.

1 Like

The mods in your Community folder load into the sim from the top of the list down. The G36 mod has long had their folder named with a ā€œz_ā€ at the beginning of their folder name for just this reason, to make sure it was at the bottom of the mod list and more importantly, below the Working Title mod. I suspect whatever was between the G1000 mod and the Bonanza mod was likely overriding some changes the G1000 makes to the sim, and causing the issue.

Glad you got it sorted! Just keep the Community folder structure in mind for the next update, and youā€™ll be golden (until an Asobo update breaks something in these mods, of course.)

I just did a few patterns, so canā€™t say anything about cruise.
But landing and takeoff feel a bit strange, it doesnā€™t feel as heavy anymore.

Gotta do more testing, but I hope Asobo will provide either some patch for the bad behavior soon (especially the turboprops seem to be affected) or at least give more information on what is going on with the flaps and ground effect.
For the time being I donā€™t think itā€™s worth adjusting the config of the mod until we know what is really the issue.

1 Like

Aaand, there we go:

@FrettFS If you have time, would you do the adjustment and make a new tag+release for the mod? I donā€™t think Iā€™d help with a pull request since the work would be the same for you.
The change required is stated in the link:

In the meantime, a workaround is to go into the flight_model.cfg and divide the flap lift by 2x (there are several possible scalars for that purpose: lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar ).

Iā€™d suggest changing the [FLAPS.0] -> lift_scalar from 1.9 to 0.95 and weā€™ll have to revert it back to 1.9 with the next update.

1 Like

Hi, I will look into this tomorrow!

However, if it is a temporary bug I suggest we just post the hotfix in the OP rather than making a new release that we have to revert in two weeksā€¦

2 Likes

@FrettFS I did a short test with the halved value of FLAPS.0 ā†’ lift_scalar and the aircraft feels heavy again. Approach speed matched what I was used to.
Feel free to merge it into a hotfix branch and post a link to that one instead of making a new release, as you like :slight_smile:

1 Like