G58 Baron Improvement Project

Hi All

After SU10 we are now able to modify the locked premium files. I’ve been working on the G36 Improvement Project for a while now and I’ve been asked a few times about making a mod for the Baron. So here it is!

As with the Bonanza It will start with a simple edit of some configuration files but I can see it growing into a fully-fledged modification that improves all aspects of the default G58 Baron and introduces new features.

The most important aspect is starting to understand what needs improving in the default aircraft - as with the G36 I will aim to get this as true to life as possible. To that end I’d love to hear from real Baron pilots and what thoughts you have to what needs fixing.

Time to find and read the POH!

You can follow development here, although there is very little to show right now!!

IRL Baron Pilot Comments Sought!

• Missing Systems / features
  • Performance numbers
  • Issues with flight model

Biggest thing I need to know, what do you think I should work on?

25 Likes

Might have to re-install the Baron!

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1312310/Beechcraft-Baron-G58.html&ved=2ahUKEwi3jafY2LL6AhVhKkQIHaaWDskQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jnv2ca3cofDpflPLYXTol

Happy reading!

3 Likes

Looking forward to it.

Any possibility of wear and tear, oil usage, failures, like the WB-Sim 172 mod?

Oil usage I am working on with the G36 so maybe, along with failures etc. Really depends on what is available to tweak.

My priorities currently are:

1. Flight Model
  2. Systems
1 Like

I understand, no worries, just hopeful. I really enjoy their Mod, but would like something a little faster with better range, and a twin, like the G58.

2 Likes

A good start might be to get all switches etc working.

4 Likes

I think we may be pretty limited with the model unless I can find someone who can 3d model, I have the same issue with the G36. Tried to pull it into Blender but I break the model every time.

1 Like

Fantastic news, looking forward. Wishing you all the best

Great idea! I hope you will have an eye for the geometry flaws too.

Wet dream: Turbo Baron or even better, the Baron Cougar :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nor sure what switches are not working. I fly the sim Baron a lot and there are few that I’ve noticed inop.

Yay! I fly the Baron a LOT, (500 to 600 hours, day and night, short hops and long hauls!). Sorry, not RL pilot but I love that plane. The one thing I miss is the fuel range prediction in the G1000 Nxi, I work around it, but found it handy in the past (not on the Baron, not even sure what aircraft it was a feature of). I’m at 1500 hours and a lot of different AC, but the Beech models are a favorite, been looking at the G35. Good luck, Matt, hope to see more soon!

1 Like

Yeahh great news to ear !! I’ve been flying the baron many times, I love this aircraft witch is a “small” plane, not turboprop but still truely adapted to IFR…

But actually I must admit it’s been a while since I flew it, beacause the lake of updates on it following the SUs made me feel like it was an uncompleted work and made me loose interest in flying it.

I can’t wait to have some progress on this project, and I hope to see similar projects developping (like for the 787) or going deeper in the modifications (like for the longitude)

Cheers

Hey all,

Just waiting for a response to my question here Baron Improvement Mod - What files can I distribute? - MSFS DevSupport before I delve too deeply. I have setup the initial files so I can start to do work on the mod but I need to check what files I can include in the mod for public download.

@Jummivana Do you know if there are any guidelines on mods for the newly unlocked files on the deluxe and premium deluxe aircraft? Can we copy and share changes via GitHub / Flightsim.to etc.? I don’t want to fall foul of any licencing issues.

2 Likes

Making some progress…

Flight Model

• Added CFD & Modern Prop model although not yet tweaked or tested

Weight & Balance Changes

• Fuel Tank Size changed to 200 Gallons total, 194 useable [p70, POH]
  • Addition of missing seats and baggage compartments (Based on code by @meh1951)
  • Empty weight changed to 3965 lbs [Textron Site]

Misc

• ATC references the aircraft as “Baron”

Once I get the basic aircraft stats correct I will start flight testing.

Be great to get feedback from IRL Baron pilots as to what is wrong with the current flight model.

8 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, what is ‘CFD’. Thank you for your ongoing efforts, anxious for the public
trials to begin.

@trashmon49 CFD is Computational Fluid Dynamics, (video) Asobo have been refining it since SU9. It basically simulates the air over the aircraft rather than other methods, essentially making it more accurate model.

1 Like

Some more progress instead of doing actual work this afternoon lol :slight_smile:

Flight Model

• Added CFD & Modern Prop model, not tweaked

Weight & Balance Changes

• Fuel Tank Size changed to 200 Gallons total, 194 useable [p70, POH]
  • Addition of missing seats and baggage compartments (Help by @meh1951)
  • Empty weight changed to 3965 lbs [Textron Site]

Engine

• Changed max oil temp and pressure [p69, POH]
  • Changed Cylinder Head max temp [p73, POH]

Electrical System

• Changed batteries amp hours to reflect reality, 13ah [p339, POH]
  • Changed battery discharge curve to match deep cycle lead acid battery
  • Changed alternator curve to match real unit
  • Changed alternator rated voltage to match real unit

Misc

• ATC references the aircraft as “Baron”
7 Likes

Ah. Nicely done video, especially the stall dynamics.