Game crashing randomly

Flew early today with FBW 320mod from KATL to KSDF with a scenery problem of uneven runway. Just flew WMKK to WSSS and CTD after 40 minutes getting ready to land. I am done until the next update. Tried of playing musical chairs with this SIM. Last update was their worst . Only had a couple of CTDs due to not updating mods before flying updated SIM before the last major one.

Random crash has occurred since the Xbox trouble.

Yes, this is a quite widespread issue.
It is caused by Simconnect.

Here is a link to a post which also contains two links.
Those two links provide the best information about the issue.

Virtual memory should never be removed. If there is not enough real memory to run programs, everything will stop.

Crashes can be caused by virtual memory due to disk error. If Windows writes a page out to virtual memory where a disk has errors then when Windows tries to retrieve that page and it isn’t there, Windows will fail. Disks (not SSDs) should be checked for errors on a regular basis.

1 Like

I have also been experienced CTDs almost on every longer flight these days, usually after 45-90 min. A brief sound stutter, a freeze of 1-2 sec, and then a CTD. No error message. I’ve had CTDs before but since the last update, it seem to be much more frequent.
I don’t use AI traffic or live traffic, only normal multi player. I run the sim on a HP Omen laptop, i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 1050Ti video card. Game was pretty stable prior to the last update, with many flights for 3-4 hours.
Anyone with similar experiences?

I’m not trying to be sarcastic here, so I’m sorry if this offends.
Did you read any of the above posts?
You answer is in there.

Here is also a link to another thread

Someone posted this earlier…pretty smart attempt at CTD!

Turn Graphics global settings to Low.

Disable Bing Maps and Photogrammetry.

Disable Online Traffic and Live Weather.

Remove all third party and Community Mods (including anything that talks to FSUIPC and / or SimConnect.

Confirm RAM, GPU and CPU are not under/overclocked.

Reboot.

Start a flight with the 152 and a simple flight at a non Photogrammetry and non customized airfield.

Do a few circuits and bumps.

Move from a single airfield to a hop to another airfield.

All stable, no crashes?

Do it again with a glass cockpit GA plane. Circuits and bumps, then a small hop.

Do it again with a default jet.

And again. And again.

Here comes the hard part - turning on ONE of the above settings. I would start with Bing Maps and then, Photogrammetry.

After you proved it works at Low, turn it all off again and try at Medium Global settings.

This is how true regression testing works. You strip the system down to the bare minimum.

You are trying to minimize the dependence between variables. Based on your posts, you have way too many to come to a reasonable conclusion about what may or may not be working in your setup.

Bottom-Line: It SHOULD work at that Low level with everything turned off. If it does not, it’s not the sim that is the problem.

1 Like

It is the following, in the Simconnect file, found in AppData, user path to community, is the file, before making a copy. It is to change the values of IP4, IP6 and PIPER, for those shown below.
For IP4-IP6 = 1024
For PIPER = 255
It is about giving more width of data, according to its author.
You have tried a multitude of things, try this and comment on how it went, if there was more crash or not. I installed it and at least it doesn’t hurt the FS.
The default values to change is “64” in all three cases, remember PIPER = 255 not 1024

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type=“SimConnect” version=“1,0”>
SimConnect Server Configuration
SimConnect.xml
<SimConnect.Comm>
Static IP4 port
IPv4
local
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
Static IP6 port
IPv6
local
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
Custom Pipe
Pipe
local
Custom\SimConnect
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
Dynamic IP4 port
IPv4
local
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
Dynamic IP6 port
IPv6
local
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
Default FSX Pipe
Pipe
local
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

None taken, but I did indeed skim over some of the previous posts (it’s a long thread, unfortunately), and didn’t see anything that quite matched my issue.
I will try though now to manually adjust VM, as you suggested in one of your posts… let’s see how this works.

After filing a support ticket, I received a reply with a standard troubleshooting guide that started out with a number of suggestions that I mentioned in the support ticket I had already tried.
One of the last troubleshooting hints proved to be helpfull though: re-install MSFS. It helps to be thorough so I not only uninstalled MSFS but also manually removed any leftovers I could find.

Downloading everything, including all addons I have purchased, took a while. After I learned of the most recent scenery bug I also renamed all third party CGL files.
After more than 10 hours flying I am quite hopefull this has solved the issue, whatever the cause was.

So if you are pulling out your hair because of CTD’s, a fresh install of MSFS might be helpful.

3 Likes

I have a new theory on the CTDs.
Last three airports I added since 1.12.13.0 that may be causing the CTD.

KIAD, KSDF and WSSS. All other mods and freeware airports worked fine before and after update.

There are several things that can cause CTD’s. Some community addons (like KIAD) contain a modellib.bgl file which causes crashes. Others contain their own ground textures which conflicts with BING data since the latest update.

Rephrase question. Do anyone with CTDs have any of the mention airports? KIAD, KSDF or WSSS

Nope… no custom airports here. Just had the first CTD since the update, same as before. I have switched to manual virtual memory control, doesn’t seem to have made a difference.

Since the update, that VM cure shouldn’t be needed.

Another area that can cause CTD’s is the Rolling Cache.
You could try emptying that and see if that helps

I’ll try that, thanks

1 Like

I have to rectract my earlier statement, that a complete reïnstall fixed my issue.
A few days after I wrote that, the CTD’s returned. It seems that it mostly happens on long flights. Disappointed and frustrated, I haven’t touched MSFS for weeks, since every flight ended in CTD.

This weekend I have found what is likely the real reason for my crashes: The exact same flight CTD’s everytime, no matter the combinations of settings or addons. The only thing that makes a difference is not having USB devices plugged in. Off course that also means the AI pilot has to do the actual flying and I am no more than a spectator.
It might be the AMD X570 chipset or related to the earlier MSFS issues with USB, or a combination.
I don’t have a solution though.

I am in the same boat. What does event viewer say was the faulting module? What is your GPU?

Probably already been said, I don’t bother saving or loading flights AT ALL. Crashes nearly every single time for me if I try to open a saved flight. Sad, but, I get over it. Would be nice if it worked, but, it doesn’t, but I’m ok with it. Easy enough to create a flight. Biggest issue is not being able to start cold and dark at an airport without parking spots (e.g. D52).

1 Like

Below is the eventlog.
As you can see the faulting module is Flightsimulator.exe
My GPU is a RTX3090, but I had these CTD’s before I upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6038d404
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6038d404
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000012280a
Faulting process ID: 0x20a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7145d723b0495
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: d099f100-300b-4118-ac05-fde9ad72dbaa
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App