Gamepass to MS/Steam version transition - do you lose your addon purchases?

I would like this answered once and for all very clearly by someone in Microsoft please:

I have the Xbox Gamepass for PC version of MS FS 2020. I havent bought it, its just the version that comes free with the Gamepass. I decide to buy an airport addon.

If I end my Gamepass subscription and decide to buy the MS version or the Steam version of MS FS 2020 will I lose my airport purchase?

Can someone answer this please because there is a lot of discussion and assumption going around and I do not intend to lose my money by buying addons that I will lose later if/when I end my Gamepass subscription.

I am aware that Xbox and MSFS2020 are both operated by Microsoft, but that means nothing - my daughter lost a load of her Nintendo Switch Minecraft addons through the useless Microsoft Marketplace for Minecraft (and we asked MS Support for a resolution a year ago with no response at all) and I dont want it to happen again!!! So no I dont trust MS now at all.

Locked pending official answer

Hello! I believe you will find your answer here:

Q: If I buy an Upgrade Pack or an aircraft/airport in the Marketplace, can I continue playing Microsoft Flight Simulator after my Game Pass subscription runs out?

Upgrade Packs and additional content do not include the Microsoft Flight Simulator base game. To continue playing Microsoft Flight Simulator you’ll need to purchase a digital copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator standard edition from the Microsoft Store or renew your Game Pass subscription.

Unfortunately, and DLC (including 3rd party addons from the Marketplace) bought on GamePass won’t transfer to Steam and vice versa. DLCs are not cross platform. Hope this helps with your decisions!

Thanks for the information. As the game is essentially the same game no matter where you buy it from ie it updates from inside the game itself (to many people’s displeasure on Steam) and the Marketplace is accessed from inside the game itself - I cant really understand why this limitation exists? I guess this is deliberate to try to get people to buy the full game. At least I know not to buy anything for the game on Gamepass now anyway cheers.

I am only a casual user so not likely to want to buy anything anyway so no issues - as long as it remains on the Xbox Gamepass. Of course if it wasnt on the Gamepass I would stop my subscription lol.

I am hoping by the time I might have to/want to buy the full game it will be reduced to half price in a Steam sale lol.

2 Likes

Completely get it- from talking with the team and the way I understand it, public facing it is the exact same sim, but technically the One Store and Steam Versions are two separate entities.

Well I have something similar running.
I have MSFS Standard via Monthly Gamepass [cancelled but alive until sub runs out early Feb’21]
& I purchased MSFS Premium Deluxe, (PD), yesterday.
I had to open a new Microsoft a/c in Xbox to effect the PD purchase without having Game Pass still existing, payable monthly.
I have 2 Carenado aircraft purchases in Standard MSFS & asked via Xbox Support for a transfer to PD.
“Can’t do”, was the reply, “but you can apply for a refund in Standard & repurchase in PD.”
Yet to navigate that process.
TG

A post was merged into an existing topic: Locked DLC on Nintendo Switch Minecraft Marketplace

Then they need to make that clear since you have to sign into your Xbox acct anyway when you launch via steam. I had to switch to steam recently b/c of constant crash to desktop on MS Store version (steam has always been more stable for me).

It’s sucks thinking that purchases will transfer since I’m signing into the same account, only to see that they don’t and I either have to buy everything again or deal with constant crashes.

It’s honestly bs. Going forward I won’t be purchasing anything from the marketplace. Instead I’ll either purchase from somewhere like Contrail or from the developer directly, that way my add on will be compatible regardless of which version I use… which is how it should be in the first place. I’m honestly extremely disappointed in MSFS… but also not really surprised they’d pull something like this.

2 Likes