Gaming Service issue - Again - it's an absolute disaster

Nein, Dein Vorschlag ist absolut nicht “off -topic”, er ist großartig, Danke.
If the gaming service update is crucial for MSFS to work any solution and any suggestion to make this update easier without forgetting is spot on. Thank you, I feel hope that this whole misery is manageable now.

You are wrong mate :wink:

1 Like

Sure, if you quote the text like that and choose to not include the end :smiley:

? No worry? Why then the whole gaming service misery I had two times? The right version doesn’t appear by itself, does it? I just began to understand what is important, namely keeping gaming service up to date, isn’t it?

I assume you are not using the preview / beta version of the Windows gaming service @StrohSchema7980 ? - the article above suggests you should leave that version to avoid issues.
I don’t believe there is any other “to-do” when it comes to the gaming services, then to update it. If it is not working, then further troubleshooting is needed. Did you try to update it?

Sorry, but “preview / beta version of Win gaming service” doesn’t mean to me anything. How should I leave something which I’m not aware of? Please help again. I thought I’m close to a solution.

If you did not join any preview version via the Xbox Insider Hub app you probably did not install any preview version. You can check if you have the Xbox Insider Hub installed and look there.

So what is the current status of the Gaming Services on your PC?

Go to Windows Settings > Apps & Features > are the gaming services installed?

Another update came out today.

Under “apps” I see a few Xbox apps (console, game bar, Live, Zubehör) but no “Insider Hub”.
Gaming service is 3.63.31001.0.
But please note it’s the status when I yesterday restored an 1 month old image with working MSFS. Actually MSFS is 1.24.5.0 Win 11 is 21H2 build 22000.556. Right now everything is fine.
If a new gaming service update is out today is it adviced to install it?

At least you have the right version installed.

So are you saying that MSFS now launches okay after you performed a system restore, meaning the thread is done?

so the issue with the gaming services is resolved? and MSFS is working for you?

In general it should not cause an issue, if you update the app (Please close MSFS first if it running).

The store apps are updated automatically from the MS store as well, so you don’t need to but it should not be an issue if you do it yourself.

There have been issues, which you can read about in this forum with updating the gaming services but sooner or later it will require an update anyways.

It’s a similar experience like with the Windows updates - sometimes there are just issues with updates but they need to be installed to keep a Windows system maintained.

1 Like

For the moment the issue is resolved.
But I had exactly this situation about 1/2 year ago. Gaming service problem, upload a working image, all fine but then a few months later again, the gaming service block.
From this experience I learn that the whole thing is fragile and cannot be safely controlled. The 100+ recipes that I find here alone show me that there is a fundamental problem here. All suggested solutions don’t really get any closer to the problem. Some users have no problem, others even more but no one knows for sure why.
I used to wonder that Asobo didn’t have a real solution here. My conclusion: They don’t know either, because the basic problem seems to be multifactorial: Xbox + MS Store + Window 11 = chaos. Everyone makes and tinkers but no one knows what the other has done. Too bad.

It is not an Asobo issue; Gaming Services is managed 100% by Microsoft. Asobo is the contractor hired to replace Aces Studio, after MS abandoned FSX.

The downloading issues, patches, hotfixes, et. al. are managed by Microsoft.

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue now though.

You’re right about the store apps being fragile when updating; they can become stuck sometimes; I’ve had this happen many times - also had issues with these gaming services too - it can be a nuisance and sometimes cumbersome troubleshooting might be required… it’s likely to be the case again but like Sven7Tango also just said above, it’s the technology that is being used with MSFS, which is required for Xbox as well. It’s what Microsoft wants to use for all their current games.

On the positive note the Microsoft Store is being improved in Windows 11 and maybe the stability of updating can be improved and less prone to these typical issues.

1 Like

When I was running Windows 10, the OneNote application would refuse to update if I did not start the “Print Spooler” service. :slight_smile:

interesting :face_with_monocle:

You are right, legally speaking. MS is the seller, Asobo is the “manufacturer”. My question is now, which of the two do I have to address so that he solves the “gaming service” problem? Legally I have to address MS, the seller. But have you ever tried to get support from MS for any MS product? There is a list of MS supported products on the support page. Xbox is in, MSFS is not. The only support address which I know is Zendesk, which I have contacted a while ago which has been left unanswered until today.

I sense he is frustrated and rightfully so. Microsoft support is absolutely clueless and has no idea how to address the issue.
I have been in the same boat for the last few weeks. Reinstalling Windows helps but the issue appears out of nowhere after few days. I am talking prestige installation of OS, with latest updates.
MS support calls keep bouncing me between XBOX and Windows support with zero progress.
There must be some variable that somehow introduces the issue with the Gaming Service. You can in quick search that other games are affected, not just FS2020.
I am at the point of accepting a full refund from Microsoft for the product and purchasing flight simulator through Steam, which always works.
I don’t think he and me are looking for detailed technical information how to debug gaming service, but some directions from the community. Perhaps from someone who has encountered similar issue and was able to fix it.

You might try this method to completely delete Gaming Services. Ultimately you’ll need to reinstall; the latest version is 3.64.20001.0

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cannot-install-from-ms-store-unknown-available-error/510952/7?u=seven7tango

Fully agree! Meanwhile, I am sure that MS itself does not know what variables are connected between the “Xbox” + “Gaming Service” + “MSFS 2020” + “Windows 11” modules. Driven by the panic fear that someone could hack the program for free use, a complex system of program units has emerged that is no longer fully manageable for the creator. Therefore, there can be no real, helpful support. Yes, I am already considering taking legal action to get the money back for MSFS 2020. But what then? Is it certain that the STEAM version “always” works and isn’t linked back to the ill-fated gaming service or to another trap in one way or another?

My gaming service version is 3.63.31001.0.
“Uninstall” is greyed out in the app settings. It’s really sick if I have to go through a complicated uninstallation procedure to get the latest version afterwards.
This is a completely unusual procedure in common, professionell software applications. MS cannot mean this seriously and expect its customers to do so. If this complex uninstall procedure is the only way to get an update for the gaming service, which in turn is necessary to prevent the MSFS program block, then I will use that as an argument for a legal refund claim.