Garmin G3000/5000 Issues and Support

Hello,

I installed the new MSFS release last night, and found several SERIOUS problems with the Daher TBM 930.

• The RANGE function on the navigation map does not work on the main screen, but it does work on the inset.
  • More importantly, the AutoPilot navigation does not work at all in a couple of ways:
    • First, when I input the flight plan on the World Map before flying, the flight plan installs on the MFD, you can see it in the flight plan, but several times it did not show up on the map (the pink line showing the course visually.) When I turned on AP, the aircraft flew in circles and never followed the flight plan.
    • Twice, out of 6 times, the flight plan did show up on the navigation map and flight plan, but when I turned on the AP after reaching appropriate altitude, the navigation function did not work. The aircraft kept circling around the location where I turned on the AP, even though the pink line showed the course, and the flight plan showed the next waypoint.
    • I tried every combination of LOC 1, LOC 2, and FMS on the Active NAV and Nav Source, with the Bearing 1 set on Nav1, Nav2 or FMSā€¦none of them worked.
    • The altitude function did work.
  • Fortunately, this is not an issue with the Cessna Caravan nor the Airbus A320, two of my other favourites. (I will try other aircraft later.)

The Daher TBM 930 is my favourite aircraft, so this new disfunction is a major disappointment. Besides, even if it worked, I would appreciate if MS can provide the previous version of the Garmin system, as you do with the Cessna 172, so we can choose the one we prefer. This is a very serious bug on one of the most popular aircraft, so please fix this asap.

Thank you.

Have you used the WT NXi mod on the TBM before?

The new G3000 does not work like the old default G3000 when it comes to NAV. This sounds like user error.

2 Likes

It (and a couple repeat waypoints) may be removable but something is not right. It should work like it did before the update yesterday.

For those of you having autopilot and/or suspected flight plan import issues, we will need a good deal more information in order to diagnose a cause (as these types of issues were not reported during the beta, and the new systems are much more complex to operate):

• Full flight plan and screenshots of the flight plan pages
  • Screenshots of the PFD showing the autopilot mode annunciations at the top of the PFD during the time the problem is occurring
  • Screenshots of the MFD map showing the plotted flight plan

A few pointers on the new system that seem to be tripping folks up right away:

• NAV mode will now arm and not just go straight to active. This represents the correct AP behavior, just like the real unit. In order for NAV mode to go from armed to active, you must be on an intercept course to the FMS flight path (magenta line) and within 2 dots on the CDI of lateral deviation. Once you are within those capture criteria, NAV will go from white (armed) to green (active) and will move away from the currently active mode in green to NAV, following the FMS flight path. If you are not within capture criteria, you will stay in PIT and ROL with NAV only armed in white. PIT and ROL will capture whatever current attitude the aircraft was in at the time of activation, including any bank angles, which can cause the plane to continue to bank in a circle. It is recommended to use HDG mode to proceed towards the FMS flight path.
  • Many departures from commonly used airports immediately end in a MANSEQ. This creates a discontinuity in the flight plan, which resumes only at the start of the next fix. This is because those procedures have coded a manual termination leg within the procedure. When you reach a leg like this, you will also see SUSP within the CDI, and the autopilot will continue you straight along the course indefinitely. This SUSP indication stands for Suspended Sequencing, meaning it is up to the pilot to sequence to the next fix (generally one would be receiving vectors at this time). You can do so by going direct-to the next leg in your plan.
  • Range on all maps panes (including the PFD map if you have split the PFD into two panes) is controlled by the controlling MFD touch controller (known as a GTC). The bottom left knob controls the range when twisted, and the pane under control can be selected by moving the knob like a joystick left or right. The pane with a magenta header is currently under pilot MFD GTC control, and the pane with a cyan header is currently under co-pilot MFD GTC control. If a pane is already under control by a GTC, moving the joystick on the opposite GTC to that pane will not ā€œbumpā€ control of that pane to the new GTC, it will remain controlled by the original GTC.
  • Occasionally, the world map will send the plane an incorrect departure transition. If you see a large loop-back, you can simply select the correct departure or departure transition again from the flight plan proc page, and that will eliminate the loop. Presently we do not have control over when the sim does or does not do this from the avionics side, but it has been logged with the sim team.
11 Likes

At least I now know that I am not alone.

1 Like

No, it will not work the same as it did before the update yesterday. The new G3000 has significantly different functionality from the old default version. Check the post above.

1 Like

Bishop398

Sorry Bishop, but Iā€™m lost. Iā€™m at the point that I donā€™t know what is due to a bug and what is due to my ignorance. I play this for fun. Iā€™m not a pilot or experienced with any previous sims. I honestly donā€™t know what most of those acronyms and equipment functions that you mention are. I have flown the TBM in MSFS, perhaps 700-800 hours as it was my favorite plane and it it worked great prior to the update and I VERY much enjoyed it. I donā€™t any more.

I hope the two flight planning screen capture help some. I will try to get more info.

In my 12 short flight tests I have seen several different issues. One was a perfect flight. One had the AP follow the route perfectly until the last lining up for approach and then the plane went off course. Some I could never capture the plan but I donā€™t know what many of those criteria are that you mention. One had no planning route appear on the screens at all.

2 Likes

Personal Comments and Observations

I remember these days with the NXi. Iā€™m personally glad I struggled through it with the help of the Working Title Team and the testers.

For the new to real-life G3000 users, donā€™t give up. Youā€™ll look back on these days and wonder how you managed with the legacy Mod. I know I do. :+1::v: Welcome to the Real Garmin Experience.

6 Likes

@WideTracking All I will say is that the problems you are experiencing are not due to a bug in the new update. Make your own conclusions.

There are videos online and explanations in the forums as to how do use the new functionality.

3 Likes

Perhaps. But I am a MSFS customer and I canā€™t use the product since they updated it.

You could always fly a simpler aircraft until you have done the research needed.

Just because I purchase Adobe Photoshop doesnā€™t instantly make me an expert in the product.

5 Likes

If you had 975 hours using and enjoying that Photoshop you would not expect Adobe to further complicate it so you are frustrated and cannot use it.

3 Likes

You would if you installed the NXI update earlier and have been following the conversation on the Beta forum and prepared yourself.

You just got a tremendous gift of major new features and improved functionality. I know itā€™s a learning curve, but you will appreciate it later.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll admit it would be nice if there were a link to newer online tutorial videos in the sim, so people who havenā€™t been actively looking for information can find it immediately before jumping in to fly.

But that information is available, and I recommend taking advantage of the resources available, including the extremely generous time of the actual developers in this thread and on their Discord server.

3 Likes

You are right, there are so many things wrong with the base sim, I would have preferred those to be fixed before any new elements including avionics were introduced. Things like ATC, AI, flight dynamics, living world, various CTD, snow covered airports, memory problems, texture problems, weird weather to name. There seems to be handful of developers who have undue influence on this forum and Asobo with commercial vested interest.

2 Likes

Before any more incorrect information is propogated, Working Title was hired by Microsoft specifically to address the Flight Management Systems based in part on their excellent freeware Mods of the Asobo base code. That was Microsoftā€™s decision. Notably, Working Title was able to also improve the quality of specific Premium Deluxe aircraft in the process - that was Jorg Neumannā€™s decision following overwhelming Player Voting and Feedback.

To recap again - there are many Sub Teams inside the MSFS Dev Team, all working to create, improve and innovate both content and functionality. This has been stated time and again by Jorg, Martial and Seb on Dev Streams and communications. The AAU1 did not take away anything from other parallel, ongoing work to fulfill the overall Product Vision.

7 Likes

No but it should be configurable. For aircraft operated exclusively in one part of the world they would want the units to reflect where they operate. Even if that is a sim only difference. I think we all accept that aircraft and systems are implemented as realistically as the sim allows but equally there is also the opportunity to provide small differences to better suit the sim environment. Being able to choose units is one of those things that should be done for all the WT units.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Garmin GNS430W and GNS530W Issues and Support

Had the same issue and what worked for me, was mode switch from FMS to NAV1. I would assume APPR button should do it automatically but nonetheless, it did worked and Longitude started to capture both LOC and GS.

With all due respect and donā€™t treat it as me picking on you but if you have 950h recorded in the sim, you should be a) aware how to operate it already or b) able to very quickly learn how to do it.
I donā€™t how you missed those issues before but maybe because Iā€™m flying all sort of aircraft, Iā€™ve seen it on some G1000 or airliner but both MANSEQ and invalid transition point are nothing new in the sim. They were happening before newest update and as explained already, with manual sequences you just have to use direct-to. Itā€™s how itā€™s supposed to be. In case of invalid transition points, thatā€™s why pilots always review their flight plan. You found one, you delete it. Simple as that. I assure you, in couple days from now on all the confusion will fade away as this is really not hard to handle.

1 Like