Geforce Experience or not?

Another thread i read this morning recommended uninstalling Geforce experience, i’ve only recently started using a pc so i installed it when setting up but then did nothing else with it.

Just had a look at it and I see it recommends “optimal” settings for the games installed - are these settings any good - seems a reasonable expectation as the GPU software knows the system inside out??

Comparing my settings i see i’m not far off anyway which i guess is good.

i’ve never had this installed, i don’t see the point of pointless software. It reminds you of a driver update, big wow. Everything i need to do i can do in the control panel.

3 Likes

It’s basically bloatware. A “flash” gui that adds nothing of any value. The settings for specific games are included in the basic driver menu anyway, so its really not needed.

5 Likes

I leave it out.

I use it for recording

7 Likes

I use it too, as recording video is painless and have nearly no impact on CPU or GPU usage, whatever resolution or framerate you choose to grab to. Also it’s overlay for monitoring, usefull, colors, sharpen, etc. filters you can apply on all of your games on the fly, without using Reshade or similar, new drivers notification, quick installation etc.
I don’t use it to optimize my games automatically, but understand some may find this helpful.
I only had once a problem, for the very first time, with the overlay when I installed Win 11 22H2, but Nvidia reacted quickly, and the bug was fixed in less than 48h thanks to a Geforce beta version.

5 Likes

Let me share my own recent experience.

I was influenced by all the simmers that recommend to remove GeForce Expericence, despite I personaly find it useful for screenshots and video-recordings… for years (decade+). So did I uninstall GeForce Experience. I didn’t see any improvement in term of fluidity. And I started using alternative tools to record screen shots and videos (OBS, the Windows embedded tools, ShareX… you name it). 1 month later, I reinstalled GeForce Experience :slight_smile: and I’m fine since then.

Regarding the capability of GeForce Experience to set MSFS settings I totally deactivate this feature. With my i10700KF+RTX3080, GeForce Experience set to very low quality :wink: I prefer managing these things myself.

9 Likes

I use it for two things. Reducing saturation to stop making grass look like Astroturf, and for low latency video recording. I don’t use it for game optimisation, as I am happy to do that myself.

4 Likes

I am using it for nvidia freestyle, so it is a must have for me.

Scott

2 Likes

No(ten characters)

These settings can be very good depending on your definition of “optimal”.

There are a lot of good features in GeoForce Experience. I use it to capture photos and videos without any performance penalties. There are also a large number of filters available to fine tune the image on the monitor. Most filters have zero performance impact.

Regarding the settings “optimization”… there are customizations available using the “wrench”. It shows a slider for optimization. Max FPS to the left, max graphics detail on the right and every possible combo in between. It has a “restore” feature (1 level). If you change the settings and it looks awful or performs badly, “restore” changes the settings back. It is only a one-level restore meaning any prior settings are no longer available.

Many posts on this forum consider GeoForce Experience as bloatware, mostly because the opinion is that NVIDIA engineers know very little about configuring MSFS correctly and how to install GPU drivers. It is possible to find software apps that duplicate some of the GeoForce features but you are responsible for the installation and maintenance of those apps. For me, GeoForce saves me a lot of time so I can spend more time flying.

4 Likes

I have been using GeForce Experience for years for screenshots, video captures, and an on-screen FPS counter. I’ve never personally experienced any problems with it, nor have I noticed any effect on my performance with or without it running.

10 Likes

This describes my use exactly. I never use it to “optimise” game settings - whenever I have tried this, it gives generally very poor results, so I do that myself.

5 Likes

Have you tried it recently? NVIDIA updated it recently for DLSS which helped me significantly. I was going to use my SU9 settings but discovered they were not very good for SU10.

I use it and do not think it is bloatware because like all software it has good bits and not so good bits, overall it is worth it.

1 Like

No, I’ve not tried it for a long time. I might give it a go as you suggest.

Does anyone know if the latest geforce version overlay incompatibility has been fixed when using spacedesk? I’d like to use the geforce overlay to adapt colours in msfs but it used to severely tank FPS when using it with spacedesk.

Do you mean nvidia freestyle with “overlay”?
If yes, I have never experienced a problem with it.

Yes Scott that’s what I mean, so you never had problems with it and spacedesk? Interesting because even spacedesk say there is an incompatibility with the overlay, I may have to try it again. Thanks.

No no, don’t get me wrong. I was only referring to the fps loss with freestyle. There’s no loss,but I am not using spacedesk.