Get rid of the snow on runways, taxiways, aprons and roads

To be honest, the amount of things to control in this software is insane. I work since the late 90s with software dev teams (Designer not dev myself), I must admit that nothing I did among the tons of B2B projects that comes close to such a complicated platform…

I presume they have a billion entry in their backlog for things to fix or polish… And then the new features and planned updates…Too much to do for sure.

2 Likes

Not resolved yet after 18 months… just ridiculous.

1 Like

I just do not fly anymore in regions with snow.

2 Likes

@darshonaut me too :unamused:

I decided not to wait until the problem might be fixed. Therefore, I downloaded Zinertek Enh. Airport Graphics from the MS Store. I am quite happy with it, it makes the runways visible again even in snow. Not perfect (regarding the snow problem), might have something to do with layers and tire tracks, but the runways are visible again, which was very difficult especially with small airfields in winter. I also like the result better than with the very simple enhancement for ground textures from flightsim.to.

me too…

I just would like to turn it off…
fixing or tuning this effect require a lot of time? fine, I understand, just give me a way to shut this off.

According to VFR map, I’m on the runway, but it caused me troubles especially for taxiing and taking off on VATSIM. Sun reflections on snows and clouds are too bright. Isn’t there a way to reduce brightness?

airport-runway-takeoff-airplane-flight-260nw-567632632

I think airports in MSFS should be like that even in snowy areas

11 Likes

Adding my support for this. Surely this is relatively easy to fix. It makes it really hard to land and taxi, and it destroys some of the beauty of MSFS. Please fix!

Just throwing this out there

a) How does the in-sim ATIS receive it’s information? In the real world, any measurable precip would be included within the ATIS broadcast as a condition code (ref, FICON Reports (txtopaviation.com).

b) Could towered airports be programmed to have less snow on the runway (i.e. the assumption that snow plows would be on standby at towered airport in comparison to non-towered airports)

1 Like

Yes, I’m with you on this one. It makes it difficult to see the runway when it’s covered in snow.

I agree that there’s an issue here; Asobo’s weather engine applies snow cover to dark surfaces indiscriminately, not realizing that:

• Roads tend to be the last to snow up aggressively (moving traffic + heat retention of asphalt)
  • Roads tend to be cleared entirely within 24 hours of snowfall around populated areas (only rural roads and highways far from civilization like the Alaksa-Canada highway wouldn’t be plowed continuously).

Some airports in aggressive winter environments will be covered in snow for a long time after snow fall, but that’s mostly because plows only clear bulk snow cover without clearing the last mm of snow, so you get this streaky effect:

Nonetheless, what Asobo represents in the game for winter runways is what I would associate with small aerodromes in Canada where they say something to the effect of “NO WINTER MAINTENANCE” in the Airport Publications.

2 Likes

Today i made a flight from LOWI to LOWW, LOWI has 14 Degrees Celsius and it looks like this.

1 Like

Yeah…I’m not sure what algorithm Asobo is using for snow cover; it doesn’t even match Meteoblue’s reports.

It’s not important the algorithm… it simply doesn’t work :rofl:

As for my understanding they replicate MeteoBlue SNow Coverage Map, but only at a very low resolution.

@MaexliBaexli 's screenshot of LOWI seems to support this assumption.
Of course the city and airport of Innsbruck are clear of snow but the surrounding mountains are still white.
Taking a low resolution of snow cover map it will simply ignore the valley and show the dominant condition of the region and in Tyrol this is currently snow.

I could live with this for now if at least major roads, runways and taxiways of bigger airports would be cleared.

3 Likes

Dear all, on two consecutive days I crashed my plane trying to land on UUEE!
On the first day, it had poor visibility I could not see the runway when I was flying over it!
On the second day of clear visibility, I managed to identify the runway 3nts away only because the snow cover on the runway is slightly lighter than the surrounding snow!! But before touching down with manual landing I lost my orientation due to crosswind I didn’t know if I am position the nose of the plane to the middle or the edge of the runway? Too bad!
So I was reading and reading posts above, any solution please? even a temporary one? … Thanks

Since Asobo mentioned in the latest Q&A that snow is procedural, I already suggested in a Zendesk ticket to have settings to override the live snow coverage.

I think something like this could help?

Edit: I just noticed that the top slider was reversed :sweat_smile: a Photoshop (copy/paste) bug :innocent: Fixed…

Snow_Coverage

9 Likes

Brief description of the issue:

all road desperate under the snow

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

version v111