Giving up on simming after update V?

Giving up!!! Heck no!!!

But I am taking a break until after WU6 and hopefully enough time for my paid add ons to all get updated for our new post SU5 world.

The last hotfix did fix my constant CTDs. But I am too PTSD over this whole mess to start adding things back to my community folder. And when I muster the mental strength to do that, I’m going to be pretty meticulous about only putting things back that have been updated since SU5 or are in known working order.

Frustrating, yes. But not the end of the world. I wouldn’t give up simming if MSFS disappeared off the face of the Earth, so I sure won’t quit simming over super buggy update. If that’d get me to quit, I’d have quit a long time back!

2 Likes

Do you mean they are trying to make a 4 version sim into one. One for gamers, one for flight enthusiast, one for GA flyers and one for Airliner pilots? Not only that but a sim for a person with a dual core cheap and a very cheap graphics card at the same time for a Threadripper CPU with Two RTX 3090s bridged?
Hummmmmmm

1 Like

I’m loving all these posts claiming they’re going back to X-plane and P3D because the MSFS graphics have allegedly been downgraded (if you zoom in and look real close that is…). Even if you’re absolutely convinced of this massive downgrade the hobbled MSFS visuals still blow the other sims completely out of the water.

I mean if graphics are so important to you why the hell would you go back to something so terribly dated? I can understand getting frustrated at unfinished bits of the sim, the lack of available complex 3rd party aircraft or the myriad little bugs that have crept into Su5 but seriously… graphics are what you’re going back to those old sims for :rofl:

1 Like

Good on you. Maybe I’m just not dedicated enough to stick with it. I hope your add-ons get updated and you get over your PTSD :slight_smile: I’m also hoping WU6 brings it back to more like it was before in which case maybe installing from scratch (my machine is cold turkey of flight sims currently) will, as you say, give it the best possible chance with no add-ons etc

I am also half (or a sixteenth) wondering if the reason for differences with what other people are seeing was a bug in the updater. After I updated, all controls went to Xbox - couldn’t click on anything in cockpit (had to hunt down to find the legacy setting) so a tiny slither of me wonders if the software thinks its running on an Xbox! (I’m sure it doesn’t) I used a PS/4 controller for drone flying so I wonder if that confused it. Anyway, time till tell.

To be fair to Asobo they are trying to make one version “to rule them all” and satisfy everybody’s needs: a difficult balance! That means compromises but developers should be able to allow users to vary settings to make it more fit their needs : slower fps but higher quality graphics etc. Not easy but if you try to appeal to so many different people then they need to do that. They also need to not limit things like RAM usage to 3Gb just because that’s what an XBox has got to play with however. (Seems crackers decision but I’m sure in the rush to get it out that was a compromise they had to make, hopefully time will allow them to do better in that area)

1 Like

I have gone back to p3d for now. Sim update 5 issues i still have…

Ram limited to 8gb which means lots of memory swapping causing pop in and outs that are very obvious.

All controllers response is laggy. The response on say my pedals is not existent or delayed.

Before the bing data issue i had streaming issues in all cities. Buildings do not fully render so end up with grey clumps. Ive tried changing cache settingd and i have a decent 80mb download speed internet.

Will give it a few months and patches and try again but they have done a good job of breaking the experience for me. Very frustrating. And yet they will still try and keep up with this ridiculous update cycle.

This thread was mostly kicked off about leaving simming if it doesn’t get better, not going back to P3D. Yes the MSFS graphics are far superior in many respects to P3D et al, so for me and how I like to fly (almost as a virtual sightseeing tourist: a strange minority of sim users) breaking of the visual immersion is a deal breaker. We’ve established on this thread that many people aren’t impacted by SU5 (either their graphics are untouched or the way they fly) but for me the poor textures (low draw distance) and the way they update in chunks constantly (and almost offensively) breaks the immersion that i used to love. And that’s the key point: I don’t want miracles of high frame rates that SU5 has given AND amazing graphics, but I’d just like the visuals that I used to get before the change back again (with no fps boost: everything was fine for me). But if MS don’t want to do that then fine, I’m only one, possibly slightly quirky, customer.

So, as you say, for me it isn’t worth going back to P3D - but (and this is my opinion based on what I feel about the sim and how it fits into my life) it isn’t worth going on unless that immersion can be re-established.

Oh heck. Reading that back “not worth going on”, just means with MSFS or simming. Please don’t call the Samaritans, I’m OK :slight_smile:

SU5 and the hotfixes took quite a bit of tweaking and experimenting for me but its really rekindled my love of the game now, as I get far smoother fps and better feel in the aircraft. I’ll take a bit of downgrade in eye candy in exchange for smoother experience. I must be one of the lucky ones, I dont get the stutters or popups but if I did and I was angry or disappointed, I would just go play something else, not announce to the community that I was packing my bags and never coming back.

1 Like

The assumption, right now, is that things will remain that way, I wouldn’t bet on that.

Interesting. The Xbox series X is listed as having 16GB of DDR6 ram and the series S is supposed to have 10GB of DDR6, both more than the minimum 8GB required by a PC. It seems strange that the game only uses 3GB of console RAM.

Close the door on your way out.

Well, I must say that sadly I concur this the topic author. I was - until the latest update 5 - very keen and happy with msfs 2020 in VR and bougth a decent amount of addons ( I am the kind of “whale client” Asobo needs ), removed my prepar3D setup and was planning to upgrade the PC and so on. Now the Bing data just dont load anymore, a crazy popup keep on telling me I am disconnected every 30 seconds whereas my network is fine, tried to cache a big region ( french alps ) so I can still enjoy siming, but for some stupid reason once the simulator has decided that it cannot stream fast enough the texture it doesnt bother checking the cache, and if you change back the option manually on the menu, ( until now this overwrite was stable ), it now it just resset it the next time it check the network. Basically in it current state msfs is broken for me. Will go away for awhile and come back hopping that the dust settle down.

1 Like

Didnt MS and Asobo release a notification that server bandwidth problems were recognised and being worked on?

1 Like

@WebSanity I think, after nearly 200 posts, that we may have found the root of your problem. A 1070 GPU was simply never designed with 4k gaming in mind, especially using probably the single most resource intensive “game” of all time, in the form of MSFS. I am frankly shocked that you ever got what anyone would describe as an acceptable level of performance trying to drive 4k graphics, pre-SU5, with that GPU. I would certainly never have recommended that someone even try to run 4k with a 1070. I have a 2070 Super, which according to google, is about twice as powerful, and I don’t even run 4k. All those screenshots I posted were in 1440p, as displayed, as “photographed”, and as posted, though I’m quite sure the forum compressed them to hell and back.

As much as I’d like to advise you to upgrade your GPU, and I still would make that advice if you can… But I also recognize that we’re in strange times indeed in the world of GPUs, and those of us who have them had better get used to living with what we have for some time, as upgrades, at least at a reasonable price, are very difficult to come by. Even my 2070 Super is hard to find, and the few times I’ve looked, everything I could have hypothetically purchased was going for more than I paid brand new.

But you can try lowering the resolution you’re asking that card to put out, first to 1440p, and possibly ultimately to 1080p, to see if that helps with any of your woes. I know if feels kind of “not fair”, I mean why spend all that money on a 4k display only to use it in 1440 or horrors, 1080 mode, but you made that choice when you bought a display that outclassed your GPU by a wide margin. However, I guess you’ve already packed your bags and moved on, so to speak, so my advice, if it ever had any merit is now moot.

:man_shrugging:t2:

@magicaces7829 I’ve seen this thrown around so much the past few days, and stated is if it were an indisputable fact that I decided to test it. So, literally just before I started typing this response, I did a little experiment. I pulled up task manager and made note of how much RAM was in use. It was 16.3GB. I started the sim, and requested the FBW A32NX to be loaded at some random gate at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, the most graphically challenging plane and airport combination that I am personally aware of, and I watched the RAM line in task manager while the sim did it’s thing. Once I had fully spawned in, I went to an external view and panned around, forcing the sim to load in more textures.

The result? It peaked at 33.6GB of RAM in use, for a total dedicated to the sim of… drumroll, please…

17GB!!!

So, can we please dispose of the myth, and that is all that it is, a MYTH, that the PC version of the sim is somehow now limited to 8GB of total RAM usage? I would also note that 17GB was before I turned on the plane, loaded the FMC, or moved the plane so much as an inch. Not even to mention throwing in VR. I expect, especially given the complexities of that particular airport, that it would have gone even higher, possibly much higher, at least until getting up high and away from complex scenery.

So please stop running around and essentially lying, because every single time someone says the sim has been handcuffed to only 8GB of RAM that is effectively what you’re doing, even if you wrongfully believe it to be true.

Now, you and everybody else who reads this will know better, so posting it again becomes an intentional lie. At least this time you were just wrongfully misguided. But that won’t be true the next time.

4 Likes

Nope, SU5 was an issue until hotfix 2 with constant CTDs, but it has been OK on the whole since then (although still get occasional long stutters around third party airports, but that is most likely that the third party content needs updating so I’ve been removing them where I come across issues)

As @KevyKevTPA mentioned, this is likely the root cause for your graphics issues. At least you should try lowering your resolution to see if that helps. You might even see that you can increase the other in-game settings when you go 1440p or even 1080p. I have a 2070s and a 1080p monitor and have not had issues you describe and can run the sim on all ultra. Part of your problems might also be due to the bing-data not being constantly delivered to us lately, which they are currently working on.

Now that you mentioned that setting, it is quite clear the sim is not the culprit here.

Expect this post to, unfortunately, be buried along with a lot of other posts which also included screenshots including comitted, private memory, etc… etc…

Unless you want to start a repetition game ;).

I gave up in that regards, also unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yes, this has been discussed over and over and proven false so many times, yet some people still cling on to that myth.

Hence the buried remark. There is so much noise, posts are going so fast that it’s easy to oversee.

I almost posted a big post again. But will keep it short, people should just stop with the male cow doodoo. It’s just bad for the product, and even worse for the community. So many are welcoming all new users, but these few shouting so hard, will make new users possibly feel unwelcome.

I’m using mfs almost from the start (september if i’m correct) and just jumped in. I’m now in this forum i think a month or two, out of interest. If i would’nt have not know better, i wouldn’t have joined.

No, why should I stop with MSFS? Only due to a few having issues with the sim? Again, no, i’m enjoying my time in the sim (currently on a world tour with my DA 40 TDI). SU5 was totally fine for me (for the minor quirks I had workarounds till Hotfix2). After Hotfix2 it works perfect again.

I hardly belive that :wink: … a 1070 is a 1080p grafics card for modern games. It is simply not capable of running MSFS @ 4k … I also hardly belive that it had run MSFS in 4k prior SU5 were the sim was much heavier on resources that it is post SU5…
And what are your other specs (CPU, RAM, HDD? SSD? NVme?, …)