GKS Mig-21Bis

I know the subject has already been discused and its almost imposibile to reproduce a LanceR variant . but here is a proper and detailed LanceR cockpit photo for those who are interested . :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That would be a pretty awesome variant!

1 Like

A little afternon flying with my buddy in the mig 21, very enjoyable even after 1 year without any update .
enjoy

6 Likes

Looks like a perfect afternoon!

1 Like
3 Likes

Since the developers are absent due to the war, I figured I’d lend this advice for owners of both the P3D version of this aircraft, and the current MSFS version:

The P3D version has realistic (recorded) sounds from the real aircraft that are much better than what is basically the default business jet sounds you get here.

So, all you have to do is copy the sounds from the P3D version into the sound folder of your MSFS version, run the MSFS Layout Generator (google it for the exe file) on the layout.json file, and done. You’ll retain the cockpit click sounds and all the creaks and rumbles upon taking off, while also having MUCH more realistic engine sounds to go with it. The aircraft is loud and rumbly!

2 Likes

a link transfer will be nice :smiley:

It’s payware, so… simMarket: MIG-21BIS FISHBED EXTENDED EDITION P3D4-5

i know . but you want me to pay the entire aircraft just for the sound pack ? hm . i think not .

I do not understand what you actually want if not to buy it (as it is payware).

Steal it?

He means buying the P3D version again (just for the sounds) when he has already bought the FS2020 one :sweat_smile:

I think you missed his first post, where he asked the “OP” to send him his sounds, that the “OP” paid for.

I wonder why the authors didn’t include the P3D sounds since they already had them?

GKS is based in :ukraine: Hope the team is safe whatever they are doing now.

3 Likes

I appreciate the tip on getting better sounds, but since I’m on Xbox, I’ll have to wait for an update on the Marketplace.

Given the war in Ukraine, I sincerely pray that the developers and their families are safe. I suspect they have higher priorities than updates to this plane.

Having written all that, I am still having a great time flying this MiG. I leave the control labels on, and rely on the GKS manual for translations of the instruments, switches, and warning lights.

There’s a great how-to guide for the DCS MiG-21 from Chuck’s Guides: https://chucksguides.com/

I have referred to that guide for good procedures,especially for landing!

My favorite thing to do is take off and climb really high, drain and drop the external tanks, and then go as fast as I can, usually exceeding Mach 2. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been coming back to the MiG-21 quite a bit over the past few days. I’m really looking to learn how to nail the landings. I’ve done some very good ones where everything seems to be fine, but I more often come in too fast, too slow, etc. Having said that, I still very much enjoy the challenge of flying this plane well.

I’m still loving this plane too. I fly it quite a lot when I’m not in a320. It’s challenging enough to fly and landing are definitely not easy. You either land or crash. It takes some time to get used to releasing the parachute at the right moment.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s been my experience. :frowning:

So the “Chuck’s Guide” that I link to above has some really good information, and I’m really working on starting my approach at 14 km from the runway at 1 km altitude above ground level (I switch to metric measurements when I’m flying this plane). If I’m higher than that, I come in too fast because my AOA is too steep (I think).

In fact, my biggest challenge is hitting the right speed numbers on approach. It seems that the MiG wants to gain speed even with the gear and flaps down. I know that I need to keep engine RPM around 80% for the blown flaps to keep working, but I don’t know how far I can reduce the throttle before the engine stops blowing air over the flaps. There’s a mark on the throttle for “landing,” so I assume if I pay a bit more attention to that, I should be okay.

Edited to add: I’ve also read that the plane should have about 700 liters of fuel on board for landing, otherwise it is too heavy. I haven’t been able to corroborate this fact yet. I know I’ve landed successfully with more fuel on board.

I love dropping the tanks and deploying the parachute! I wish more MSFS fighters would have those features.

2 Likes

The guide you posted is really helpful! I did a few practice take off and landings. Lining up and starting the descent on time makes all the difference.

My flyby over Dubai :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

RiptideBlack,

I’m glad you find the guide I posted helpful! I’ve printed out select pages to refer to when I fly, along with the GKS manual.

To that point, I realized there’s a marking on the throttle quadrant for the proper range for landing. The DCS guide has labels in English, which makes it easier to check against the Russian markings in the GKS cockpit. I’m assuming it is the front of the throttle that needs to be in that range.

I took screenshots from both manuals.

MiG-21_English_Throttle
MiG-21_Russian_Throttle
With that in mind, I’ve been practicing getting into the landing configuration and reducing my speed, but starting at 6,000 feet or so, then pulling up gear and flaps and going back up to the same altitude to start again. I understand that some actual, real life flight training consists of the same kind of exercises prior to landing on the ground. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I checked in details, but if I remember correctly, when I try to land this bird, I always have to keep the engine power around 90 to 95%, that just just before triggering the afterburner.
If I don’t do that, then the speed will reduce below the 350 km/h and the plane will start to fall down to the ground with no possibility to recover, even with full AF (it does, but takes very long time…).

The “LND” marking on that throttle in DCS looks like it’s around 50% power only ?? Is that really correct ?
In MSFS, if I try to fly the Mig21 with full flaps, gear down, and almost empty fuel tank, the only thing I can manage is digging a nice hole in the ground…

3 Likes