GKS Mig-21Bis

I tried few times (cold start and hot start) to take off with the Mig21 after a long while since my first and only flight with this plane some months ago and I discovered I can’t go above 180Km/h on runway.

Afterburner is lighting up fine externally . Both annunciators are lit in the cockpit. Still the plane slowly rolls and basically I am unable to take off from a 3Km runway.

Anyone else saw this and has a solution?

There is one or two buttons in the cockpit to enable some higher levels of afterburner power, if I understood properly. Could it be that you didn’t set them on ?
Also, did you double-check that your flight model setting in the sim options was set to modern, and not legacy ?

Just to ask: is there any update planed about the invisible loadout from the cockpit ?
This issue has been mentioned here back in June I think, but I haven’t found anything else about it :confused:

1 Like

Is the parking break on? I’ve done that and wondered why the plane was so slow on take off.

No. I always release it with a switch and confirm it with that nose wheel brake lever used by GKS Mig21 as parking brake.
Also parking brake would have no effect when air spawn directly in the air and plane is falling from the sky basically.
I also tested with all mods off.

Yes. I know about them and I set them on. I also have confirmation the AB is on from external view and from cockpit two announciator lights.

Zaelu, I haven’t flown the MiG-21 for a few weeks. I’ll try again tonight from a cold start and see what happens.

Regards,
-Drew

I did a flight with the mig21 just last week and i had no issues with the flight model.

Aircraft was accelerating normally, afterburner was working fine, and i still needed approx 95% of power to keep it flying when using full flaps :smiley:

I love that plane. I have a Mig21 also in DCS and the flight model is quite similar, especially for the landing (it doesn’t want to fly anymore when full flaps are deployed).

2 Likes

I did a flight last night with full fuel and three external tanks, which is technically overweight. The afterburner worked fine. I was using a 7,000 foot runway. I rotated at 250 koh and lifted off at 300 or so.

I pulled the gear up almost immediately, and the flaps shortly thereafter. I kept the afterburner on and trimmed for a 5 degrees nose up climb. The plane felt a bit sluggish at first, but I was a t 500 kph and 2,000 meters within a minute of lift off.

2 Likes

Thanks.
I retested today and it seems it works now. I don’t know what was causing it for sure. My nearest assumption is a controller profile was not correct. Some planes have issues with having axis assigned to mixtures or something else not used in reality by them.
Still the Mig is having strange engine behavior or at least the flight model does not look very believable. If you get slow with flaps and gear deployed most of the times is impossible to reaccelerate not even a full afterburner after half a minute the plane is still barely flying. Ad some strong lateral wind and the plane reacts like a leaf, especially on take off run it becomes susceptible to wind only after a certain speed… like it has the physics of a taildragger that jolts in the wind when tail comes up… many other MSFS planes have this issue but the faster and powerful a plane is the less susceptible to wind it should become. 40km/h tail wind for example is deadly. This is not a glider…
Overall I find Mig21 unpleasantly unrealistic in FM and Engine Model. I am sure the dev put some effort into it but the results are not convincing when you put it to its paces.
I don’t like to fly by the book and then signing off the FM as good. It can be misleading.
I will wait for an update for this.

Regarding your slow flight acceleration, are your air brakes deployed? The airplane with its old engine has a lot of ‘horsepower’, but not much ‘torque’ per se and those little air brakes are VERY effective at keeping you slow. If not, clearly you’re having some other type of issue with it, it is one of the best fighters available currently (on Xbox, at least) in terms of flight model alone. I hope you get it figured out, it really is as much of a joy as it is a challenge to fly right. It could use an update, but the flight model needs minimal adjustment if at all imo

1 Like

I agree that this is one of the best fighters in the game. I agree that there are some minor issues that could be addressed, but overall the plane is a joy to learn and its behavior seems to match very well with all I’ve read about of the real planes.

For what it’s worth, there’s a great guide for DCS that has really helped me learn to fly this plane. It’s a wonderful supplement to the official GKS manual:

https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/mig-21bis/

Regards,
-Drew

1 Like

As I said the problem appeared also if I airstarted. Also I am an old DCS World Mig21 player. And I know how to check at least those airbrakes which would not be able to cap the speed at 150km/h anyways :smiley:
It was an obvious misbehavior of the plane. On any takeoff run the speed was capped at 150 usually and never exceeding 190.
I think I figured it out by changing the controls setup, I think I had one with a mixture axis assigned and in some planes it conflicts with the engine model or something.
Mig21 in MSFS is done very nicely but is not really believable in flight. DCS on is far from perfect but it looks more consistent.

So here is the strange part… after SU12 I decided to retest the Mig21. Did few flights OK. This morning tried it few times and last time I crashed into water… it was strange because I was on landing turn and then I lost power and it barely glided and did a nice landing on the water… Few hours later I restarted the sim went back at it with the idea to improve my landings approaches… Suddenly I am back at the “No speed BUG”. No matter what I did the plane is not going past 150-170km/h while on take off run.
Needless to say afterburner is on etc. Nothing was changed. The control profiles were checked all are on my profile for Mig “Jet Fighter Mig21” which worked previously and has no axis wrongly assigned etc.

I have no mods for Mig21 etc.

This is really strange.

the project didn t get any updates since june 2022, im a mig 21 fan but im sorry . the project is dead

Given that the developers are in Ukraine, I can only hope that they are safe and well.

The plane flies well for me ( when I don’t do anything stupid with it, see below), the vast majority of switches and systems work like the DCS guide I posted says they should. I’m still enjoying flying it and learning more about proper procedures. In short, it is still one of my favorite planes in the sim.

I sent a short list of suggestions to GKS a while back, and got an e-mail reply at the end of January. So, who knows . . .

As for misadventures in the MiG, I recently made the mistake of cutting too much power on final, which cuts off the airflow over the blown flaps, and sank like a stone and crashed. I also turned off the 3rd fuel group switch when the 1st fuel group empty light came on, during final approach. . . whereupon, after a few seconds, I lost all power, sank like a stone and crashed.

2 Likes

When I land I also try to keep throttle above 85% to avoid loosing the BLC but what I saw is different. I tried to reaccelerate at 350km/h IAS and the plane did nothing… continued to fall.

I started to ask myself if the simmarket version I have is not buggy. I bought it from there because it was at a sale last fall and it promised to show weapons.

1 Like

It sounds like some sort of bug. I’m sorry you’re having this issue!

Are you using the default control scheme or did you customize it? I’m on XBox using a controller, but I’ve modified the sensitivity curves a bit and bound the parachute and spoilers to special key combos.

Also, I purchased the MiG from the Marketplace.

Good luck.

So in case the developer(s) see this (I hope they are OK)
This is how it goes on my end. Flew it from Sochi for a DCS World “aroma and comparison”

1 Like

The devs are based in Ukraine. The optimist inside me says that it is that it’s currently ‘on hold’ for obvious reasons. In my experience, it’s still one of the best flying that we have, even if sounds are bland and graphics are meh. That’s just my experience though

2 Likes