GAIST Global AI Ship Traffic V5 and Great Lakes

Indeed. I run GAIST along with Seafronts stuff and a full AIG install and it all works flawlessly together. FS2020 sure is a fickle beast !

1 Like

After SU8 i got locks after the fly screen with GAIST. It went away slowly and after 2 weeks it was gone.
Now after WU8 itā€™s back.
I removed rolling cache but that doesnt seem to do anything

Somewhere not far from Norfolk

2 Likes

Norfolk Virginia or UK?

Norfolk Virginia yes

1 Like

Ugg! Although totally random, am having that same 50-60% lock up when trying to load a flightā€¦ I tested a pile of scenarios but canā€™t pin point it as it is totally randomā€¦ but for my sim it was sometime after SU8 and really, the 50-60% random lock-out thing only started a couple of weeks agoā€¦ now continues right after WU8. Force the sim to close as it and re-boot it again and it works. Go figure. But this is not consistent. Delete rolling cache, revert to a ā€œcleanā€ content.xml - safe mode works.

Finding that there is No difference if Linker vs folders/files in the community. Same lockup after invoking ā€œFLYā€. An ongoing major problem for sure: one of the most frustrating.

Another has report GAIST as well as great lakes, and seafront causing this so will try to turn off the various ship packages to try to isolate.

Just booted up the simā€¦ with everything ā€œonā€ I wantedā€¦ from all the add-on aircraft to multiple scenery pieces to all the ship packages etc etc etc ā€¦ (linker), and booted right up and no issues loading the flight. Next time a no go. Geezeā€¦ the problem in the sim is like finding needle in a haystack!

1 Like

It seems to be location dependent ā€¦ so far I had zero problems with the V2 beta. Pacific Northwest. Europe, Australia, Africa, no issues whatsoever.

But trying to start a flight at Van Nuys, north of Los Angeles always results in a freeze on the loading screen with Global AI Ship Traffic enabled. Starting the same flight without it works fine.

2 Likes

Just returned home after 2 weeks out; I will read up on all the posts from the last week tomorrow - didnā€™t have time to even look at it. Thanks for all the feedback - hopefully it can be used to deduct why some experience these problems while others not.

Below links to a couple of new videos - the first is a time lapse by @ V2disp3lda with the entrance to Rio de Janeiro seen from the Santos Dumont airport with scenery by my friend Paulo Ricardo, AIG air traffic and Global AI Ship Traffic working beautifully together in this case. The video shows the traffic all through a day with different cruise ships, tankers, offshore tugs and PSVs, container ships, heavy lift ships, three different Brazilian navy groups one lead by A-140 Atlantico - ex RN HMS Ocean - and another led by G-40 Bahia - ex. French Navy Foudre Class.

The next is VR shot of a couple of the ships near Seattle

11 Likes

I still remember my first flight simulator on a Commodore 64 in '83 or '84ā€¦ We had great joy trying to land on a white rectangle and wauwā€¦ recognizing some landmarksā€¦ Enjoy the view of the Eiffel Tower towards the end of the below videoā€¦ (I recommend turning down the sound before watching the video to avoid the annoying engine soundā€¦)

Obviously there are in the video above both ā€œdancingā€ planes at the taxiway and planes popping up out of nowhere at gate and then disappearing again, but the popping has been a permanent feature also of FSX and P3D, which in addition also saw planes at that particular airport fly straight through the Sugar Leaf mountain at approachā€¦ We can choose to see the glass as half full or half emptyā€¦ Even if as a developer I am deeply frustrated with the constant changing rules and even if I have spent the majority of my leisure time the last year trying to update GAIST and adapt to the new rules, I still choose to see the glass half full and enjoy watching in that video the most realistic Rio de Janeiro scenery ever available in a simulation game. The right airport, the right ship traffic - you will even see the right Niteroi-Rio ferry - and with AIG also the right Brazilian domestic airplanes.

A Nice Sunday to all of you :smiley:

20 Likes

Except the video (if you pause it at the start) says itā€™s the AIG traffic add on that is being used.

1 Like

There are many excellent free and payware addons available for airports, landmarks etc. that enhance the visual experience, but the three things that make the biggest impact on the sim overall for me are GAIST, BIJAN Scenery, and AIG with Traffic Controller. I would not want to be without them.

1 Like

Could you give me the specific time or just the date of the flight from Van Nuys to try to recreate. Anything else installed in that area?

And those three are freeā€¦ in fact in the video above from @V2disp3lda the only paid add-on is Pauloā€™s Rio de Janeiro scenery. When Asobo first told about the MSFS I thought it would be the end to my little hobby project GAIST, so despite the changing rules, I am still very happy that the sim was opened up for third party freeware developers.

4 Likes

Bijan Four Seasons Scenery is not actually free but for me it is well worth the price of admission and sits well with the other two :slight_smile: Pauloā€™s Rio de Janeiro is also worth the price :+1:

4 Likes

You are rightā€¦ I most be getting old ;D

1 Like

Me too (very) :wink:

I recently did a flight around Hong Kong and was pleased to see additional ships. I spotted one ferry which I believe was on the route
Hung Hom Ferry Pier: Hung Hom ā€¹ā€¹ ā€ŗā€ŗ North Point

Would it be possible to add ferries on the busiest crossing
Star Ferry Pier: Tsim Sha Tsui ā€¹ā€¹ ā€ŗā€ŗ Central
(Which also goes to Wan Chai)

Details here: https://www.hongkong.net/transportation/ferry

Maybe it is so busy that it would effect performance, so maybe not a good idea?

1 Like

I will look into it - it might actually already be there. Some of the short routes are not always showing up especially in congested areas. Probably a prioritization of the sim engine. Besides that there should also already be ferries running from Hong Kong to Macau and Shenzhen included. While I was regularly working in China I took many of them and actually more or less have drawings of most of them - I made it a habit to take a pictures of the ship drawings which are in most countries obligatory to post in a visible place in the ferry, so you can expect even more ferries in that area once diverse bugs are sorted out :smiley: Also my recent flight to South America was used to make additional fishing vessels for the South China Seaā€¦

4 Likes

Thank you, I will take another look. Brings back happy memories of my visit to Hong Kong in 2009. Riding the Star ferry was a mandatory part of the experience :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s because it still uses the old FSX traffic engine which is still the FS9 engine which was a pumped Up FS8 engine.

The glass is half full as more and more FSX related stuff gets dropped by Asobo like the flight model, the way propellers act and how flying in general is simulated (CFD simulation was not at all a thing back in 2006). Traffic and ATC is (according to Martial) the next big thing to be changed - Kai from AIG is kinda bombing Asobo with reports on issues and possible requirements a good traffic system should fulfill :slight_smile:

if they take the task seriously we well get a good traffic system at some spot this/next/the following year likely. Asobo already is aware that the old FSX traffic engine wonā€™t ever work in a good way, especially with live traffic.

Speaking about that they likely also have to change ship traffic and airport road traffic as all of that uses the same logic - Iā€™m sure that will cause a lot of pain for thirds but also I think it will be worth the pain :slight_smile:

1 Like

I knowā€¦ A good guess is that whatever is there in terms of bgl traffic will die - then the big problem is that while models are kind of standard for airplanes 737-800, 900, NGā€¦ A320, A330,ā€¦ it is nowhere the same for ships. In most cases they are unique or with very few identical sisters, so injecting real time ship traffic is something completely differentā€¦ you could end up just having the same few models representing all the different ship types of the worldā€¦ I will make my sim go offline before that happens :smiley:

1 Like