Good or bad, MSFS 2024 seems like a really puzzling announcement and idea

This will be some questions and comments from someone who have just heard the announcement, and the discussion is already at such a point in the community it is impossible to follow it all with thousands and thousands of comments.

There are two main things which seem really puzzling:

1. Trailer shows almost nothing other than some missions which seem to be of questionable quality as far as their animations, depth or point goes. Meaning, they look like people will fly to an island in the Mediterranean or to the Alps as per usual, and it will be a scene with a car and badly animated NPC’s.
  2. It seems like third party devs and users accepted that MSFS2020 would be a platform they develop for at least a decade and aimed towards a development goal for that, which now seems in question. Meaning, since you have the whole world in MSFS2020 if you aim to let 3rd parties develop airports and cities and landmarks, which was underway it will take a long time and you should let them develop it. Obviously the same goes for aircraft, the number and the quality of the aircraft in the sim shows it is only beginning to mature in terms of aircraft, and what do you know, here is a new sim… With… some missions.

What is puzzling is; what is going on? What is the point of this new sim? They even say most 3rd party aircraft will be available there at the “new sim” and they will function which should mean flight model will be the same? The trailer doesn’t even justify a new sim, it shows aircraft flying and some semi-static npc’s scattered around mostly, which is already in the sim with 3rd party sceneries.

It all begs the question… What?

18 Likes

Hi, we are still awaiting further information, the communication was very poor but then we got a rushed FAQ which helped a little bit. The silence since then I fail to understand, why are there no Devs here chatting away on the forums or in discord? From years of being in gaming software companies I have never known such silence so all we can do is speculate our justified concerns until we’re blue in the face.
I’m sure more information will come but it’s already too late, opinions have been set with some people and false information is everywhere which will be hard to turn around.

Thank you.

8 Likes

You know how X-Plane 10 was a thing, then it was replaced by X-Plane 11. And literally no one lost their sh*t about it? No one went around saying that X-Plane was being abandoned or why didn’t they make X-Plane 10 perfect before daring to release a new version etc?

This is the same thing ok?

17 Likes

Hello, yes what is interesting is what information the trailer shows doesn’t come near to justifying a new sim, it could be argued it might be too little for a proper expansion. One of the new features it shows us says “glider pilot” and it’s a glider that is already in game, flying. The “vip charter service” is a scene with a car and two badly animated npc’s trying their best at what we could be called walking. “Aerial racing”, again wasn’t that in the game already?

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say i am “losing my sh*t”, the trailer seems to show very little for it to be not puzzling and make sense for a new sim. And hey man, why so angry on the internet. If you don’t think my question makes sense, which you seem not to, leave it alone and go about your day.

8 Likes

So what, I am 100% certain there will be many more trailers and infomations posted until its release. 1 year! is a long time. And I am also certain that a new sim version is justified when we see the whole picture.
I am always buffled how people can judge the quality or extent of something by just whaching a few seconds of a promo trailer.

I honestly don’t get why some people do have such a big problem with the MSFS 2024 announcment and a very early short hype-bildup-trailer.

4 Likes

The history of flight simulator and X-Plane provides all the answers you need.

If you want cutting edge products, companies need to release new products to make a profit and fund new technology.

It is frustrating if all your products don’t work in a new version.

But, in my opinion, it is worth the cost to get a new amazing product.

Asobo and Microsoft have provided the community with outstanding support since the launch of FS2020 with many free products.

FS2024 will be outstanding - they have learned a lot over the last few years.

However, they will never keep all of their customers happy all of the time.

As I love FS2020, I will be at the front of the queue to pre-order the new simulator.

Well done Asobo and Microsoft.

12 Likes

If you watch the trailer a bit more closely you’ll see it has more than just missions. New planes, improved weather model, seasons, and that’s just off the top of my head. But as others have said there is zero reason to assume this is all. It’s the next generation of the sim. Asking “what is the point” is a very strange way to approach such an exciting announcement. In all other genres, and in most other flight sims such an annoucement would be met with exceitment. There is something very odd about parts of the MSFS community.

5 Likes

This could be my problem, i was going to add to my original post i might be lacking that perspective as i was too young for the 90’s and 2000’s parts of those. So maybe this will turn out to be the right way to go.

Also the thing is, i would be more on board if they announced it with saying they will improve things like; the flight model, the performance, the textures or make cities more dynamic or any other improvement. But as is, they just make it seem like they will add some missions.

3 Likes

A lot of questions forsure. For me, the way I see it, we’re still ways away from the release so I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the sim we currently have. That’s really all we can do.

With what you said about the main thread having thousands and thousands of comments, yes, very true. I’m not even going to attempt to follow along with that lol

3 Likes

Because there are two kinds of people one section are euphoric and think anything new must be good , just because its says 2024 its better than 2020, they see eye candy and they drool .
Another section looks at it and questions why. The announcement promotes questions as information on what’s happening is conspicuous by its absence, it sort of defies things we are used to, it feels like an in house April fools joke that was accidently released and now they are going ■■■■ what do we do?
“i know we release a trailer then say absolutely nothing”

time will tell

3 Likes

The big problem is when we are told that “we are committed to 10 years” then, what will be 4 years down the road, out of the blue, oh here’s MSFS2024.

I dont not for one moment say that this is a lie. A small bug fix every year for 2020 would constitute as commitment so that’s covered.

When I saw and heard this 10 year commitment I thought to myself ok then, its a good investment. Up to now I’ve invested around $500. Put up with the bugs knowing that they would be fixed in due time. On the whole MSFS for me has been a good experience.

I cannot see MSFS2020 continuing with the updates like they have when 2024 comes out. It just doesn’t make sense. Why put all your effort into 2 sims.

So for me, that’s why i agree with the OP, it’s a puzzle, and in some ways a kick in the teeth.

6 Likes

And where does this contradict with the “10” year commitment?! No one ever said that this commitment was soley for MSFS2020. It was meant for flight sim as a whole. And if this commitment is true, than we will see a MSFS 2028 and maybe a MSFS 2032 and hopfully many more itereations … every each of them gaining knowlege and incorporationg improvments found by the earlier iterations.

Not directly addressed to you, but in general, to refute the following argument right away:
There was also no mentioning that we don’t have to pay again fro this 10+ year endevour. Anyone thinking that a single payment of max 120$ (most payed 60 bucks) compensate the efforts put in by Asobo and MS, derailed some time ago, sorry …

4 Likes

Maybe the difference then is those who are regulars in the flight sim genre don’t see this as unusual. MSFS released a new version every couple of years before it went dark for a decade. X-Plane and others do similar releases.

I dint say it did.

A small bug fix every year for 2020 would constitute as commitment so that’s covered.

It was the impression that was given at the time of release and what what said on the streams too. I agree it was a bit naive of me. There was no mention of up and coming releases.

With regards to the $120 argument, and no, it’s not directed at me but it’s not a single payment tho is it. most of us continue to support through the marketplace. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

People always want the latest and newest thing, phones and cars are some examples. MS know that newer products sell better than developing old ones, hence the name change. It’s marketing, and companies do it all the time knowing consumers will fall for it.

3 Likes

My only feelings with the announcement is they should fix this sim, i.e. atc seasons etc before starting a new one. I want all resources on the current sim, not eye candy and gaming crapola.

1 Like

There’s a games expo at the end of the month if I’m not wrong. Clearly the exclussive about new features and details will come there. If details are revealed before they wouln’t have anything new to share there.

Cheers

3 Likes

Yes, that is undoubtedly true, but none of us has an insight into the financial circumstances of the MSFS market palce. Maybe that’s just enough to cover the running server costs, but then someone would still have to cover the development costs.

Yep you make good point.