Good or bad, MSFS 2024 seems like a really puzzling announcement and idea

I don’t know how much profit they really had but assuming they sold 10 million copies, that nobody purchsed premium versions and that they obtained a conservative 10% profit that would still mean around 60 million just by licenses alone. With marketplace margins that could be easily doubled if every user just purchased a few addons.

That’s like 3 times the budget needed for a real military helicopter simulator or in the range of the budget to install a high-end traffic control system in a whole railway line including the hw for trackside signaling and trains onboard equipments, and that’s one of the most advanced safety systems available in market as of today so far more complex than any known videogame. It’s a bit hard to believe that money is a problem here I would say.

Cheers

3 Likes

Again i do keep saying this no its not the same and i think those that are ok with this do keep thinking back and saying "oh thats how it used to be " but you need to look at this differently , previous releases were standalones there were no progressive updates almost no updates at all , new features were added with each successive version, MSFS 2020 has been totally different its been a progressively updated almost a rolling update new features have been added with those updates this isnt the same sim really we had in 2020 . so… why do we need a new version ? what does this give us an update cannot? what is included we don’t have already? that’s why i think it’s so baffling because it really doesn’t make any sense right now and only the so called negative people are querying it with Why? and what?

3 Likes

Agreed, my main point would also be what does it give us an upgrade cannot? The trailer with regard to this question only shows some simple missions. So their motto seems to be “next generation of flight simulation, some simple missions!”
Either it is the worst trailer in the history of trailers, or it seems really weak as a “new sim”

5 Likes

Because MSFS need to get paid now and again, same as X-Plane do, same as any complex software vendor does.

But this generally comes with a significant set of improvements, that’s what is exciting.

Of course it could have been a free update, the entire of MSFS cound have been free. MSFS could have donated free hardware to everyone to play it on. But we live in the real world.

1 Like

… and improved weather, and improved ground model rendering, and improved sea rendering, and many new planes, and improved animations, and seasons. And this is just the first trailer.

2 Likes

Me personally, i agree with this and understand this. But they could come up with better ideas for that. For example, they could make really good missions and implement them to the current MSFS and sell them as packages or they themselves could make really high fidelity airplanes and sell those. So offer a good service or product within the sim and sell it.

This “here is a new sim but most old planes will still work and it will look pretty much the same” approach is weird. What is new other than some missions? The trailer shows literally nothing other than those missions.

If all this is to come, they should have said something in the trailer, which claims none of those things. Maybe you saw some things which suggest these upgrades but the trailer doesn’t say anything. Also these things could be improved within the current sim.

1 Like

The trailer shows these things. It’s pretty obvious if you watch it. But why do we need them to spoonfeed us every detail in the first trailer.

Also these things could be improved within the current sim

So? They chose to release a full new version to signify the major update and get some extra income. This is totally normal in the game and software industry. It’s not weird, it’s not puzzling, it’s entirely normal.

1 Like

Not really, it maybe happens with some sports titles but other than that doesn’t really happen. You don’t see; “here is the new GTA 6, it is the same game with the exact same mechanics but more missions and some slightly upgraded textures”. That would maybe be a DLC.

3 Likes

GTA is not a live service title. But GTA online is, and requires regular payments, although they go down the subscription route - which of course you can do with MSFS too if you pay via XBOX live subscription.

There’s no rational argument to suggest MSFS have invented some new and strange model for software delivery here.

The same kind of model exists in lots of different types of titles, MMOs, online FPS games, and of course almost all major high-tec investment sims.

here is the new GTA 6, it is the same game with the exact same mechanics but more missions and some slightly upgraded textures”

Bizarelly enough potentially paid updates to GTA 6 specifically are apparently on the cards:

https://gamerficial.com/2023/04/07/upcoming-release-of-gta-6-may-involve-a-major-trade-off/

Now - this is something to maybe get legitimatelly concerned about.

2 Likes

Why do we not assume ( if we feel we must assume anything) that MS, Jorge and Asobo are not stupid and there is a good reason for this. We all just need patience (is that a swear word here?) and we will find out the reason in his time and we can then choose to agree our disagree with that reason. If we never find out the reason, then we can all draw whatever conclusions we want at that time.

There is certainly no cause to assume that there is no reason at all and they are doing it on a whim, or because they can, or any other laundry list of possible conspiracy theories.

3 Likes

Try adobe photoshop then - a new version every year, the same as the previous one with some small upgrades and new features, all previous versions supported and in use, people choosing when to change to the new version and finally switching to a subscription service where all future upgrades are included and provided when ready rather than annually.

Seems to me a very similar approach.

I am sure they have a good reason, for example; money. I don’t think a customer should “assume” a company must have a good reason for their actions, other than money.

3 Likes

To paraphrase your earlier comment, “why so angry on the internet? If you don’t think the trailer and the idea of a new version of the sim makes sense, which you seem not to, leave it alone and go about your day.” It works both ways, and if you make a public post then your have to accept that people will disagree with you.

What gives you the idea i don’t think people can disagree with me? I am out here, replying and having conversations with people with differing views. My comment about anger was a response to a seemingly angry post, my questions regarding the trailer are not in anger but confusion and for the goal of having a discussion.

1 Like

Well, one reason why there could be a new simulator is, every year Microsoft has been giving substancial grants to BlackShark.ai to enhance the machine learning algorithm. Its been 5 years since MSFS took the version of the algorithm then to produce the sim. There have been significant improvements to the algorithm in 5 years, and Microsoft has been investing in this research yearly. Perhaps they want to now make use of that investment. The introduction to one of the press announcements for the sim stated that some of the reasons for the new version was due to advancements in AI and machine learning.

News | Blackshark.ai

3 Likes

And as many, including myself, have pointed out in the countless other threads, it’s been just one week since the initial trailer… There’s plenty of time for more information to be passed onto the public as and when MS are ready to release it. Be patient, you don’t need to have every single question answered immediately.

I miss how the forum was pre-2024 trailer :rofl:

1 Like

Sure, and as i have said within the chaos that is the discussion regarding this, i got lost and decided to open a thread to see if i can get some answers and have some conversation. But, you answering in countless other threads and seeming to tire of it, not my doing.

Really interesting bit of information. Thanks for this.

Well there you go, you’ve answered your own question.

You should mark your post as the solution