Goose vs Goose

Quick q: what is the difference bettween the MSFS 40th Ann. Goose and the Big Radial goose? Does one have more features than the other? trying to decide if the payware one is substantially better and thus deserving of a buy…or not!

Thanks for anyone’s feedback that has both

Big high-level difference is that the Big Radials (payware) Goose is a JRF-6B which is a military trainer variant. Other than that, it does contain some nice payware-level features that set it apart such as failures including engine fires. It also has some static deployables which don’t matter for much beyond screenshots, but they’re there. It also comes with a highly-praised bush trip. If you love the goose and want some of those bells and whistles, I think it’s worth having both.

I actually haven’t flown the iniBuilds G-21 yet, but I’d be shocked if their sounds were at the level of Big Radials. The BR Goose is quite wonderful in the sound department.

1 Like

The free one is G21 Goose and the Big Radials is JRF6 Goose which is more of a military variant.
But they are very similar as far as the cockpit and overall look.
Myself, I think the Big Radial Goose is far better the way it flies, the sounds, the simulated failures such as engine smoke and fire, and overall character of it.
For me the Big Radial version is well worth it as it is one of my most treasured aircraft but it depends on your own tastes.

1 Like

Big Radials Goose has a more feature rich cockpit with gyropilot and a hidden GNS430. It has excellent (the best?) water handling and physics. The engine handling is very realistic with failures and smoke effects. It has moving doors, windows, a bathroom, a fishing pole, and other niceties. And the sounds are out of this world good!

3 Likes

My quick comparison between the two in various areas:

Exterior visuals: Nothing to choose between them here really, both very nice. The BR one comes with several liveries and has lots of liveries made by repainters available. The 40th Anniv. IniBuilds Goose only has one livery included (I am not counting the “aviators club” ones), hopefully repainters will give it some attention. The IniBuilds one currently has an error where it has no reflections cast on the water. Winner: Even

Interior visuals: The BR model is a military JRF so it has a much more spartan cabin while while the IniBuilds one has a more plush civilian cabin. Unless that matters a lot to you, nothing much to choose here. Winner: Even

Flight modeling: The IniBuilds one uses the newer CFD and prop modeling whereas the BR model does not. The IniBuilds one requires noticeably more trim to counteract engine torque. In theory the IniBuilds one is more realistic, although I am certainly not in a position to comment intelligently, it’s not like I’ve flown a Goose in real life. Winner: IniBuilds (although the flight model of the BR one is certainly not bad)

“Usability”: The IniBuilds model has no radio or navigation equipment of any kind and the developers have told people to just use the VFR map. It’s representing a 1937 as built, in theory. The radio range navigation equipment used then has long since been retired in real life and is not operational in the sim (although there are some third party mods for it). The BR model has a hidden GPS console you can use if you want. The IniBuilds one is also much more difficult to control on the water because it requires differential engine power to steer, as in real life, but differential throttle in the sim is iffy right now and many people will not have peripherals with more than one throttle axis. The BR model has “invisible” deployable water rudders to aid water handling for this reason. Some will appreciate the commitment of the IniBuilds model to realism, others will find it simply impractical. For me personally… Winner: BigRadials

Sound: The IniBuilds 40th Anniv. model has strange, persistent but seemingly random squeaking and chirping sounds in the cockpit which may be annoying to some. The developers have said they are reviewing it. The engine sounds are also, IMO, significantly less throaty and “convincing” than those of the BR model. Winner: BigRadials

Of course, you have to consider all of this in light of the fact the BR rendition is $25 and the 40th Anniversary one is free.

If you are a huge fan of the Goose I think buying the BR one is still well worth consideration. I have owned the BR one since it came out and it’s what I will probably continue to fly. If this is the type of aircraft you’ll only fly once in a while, the IniBuilds one is certainly good enough, and will probably be improved in the future.

I wish that the IniBuilds model had represented a modernized cockpit so that both renditions fit their own niche, but that may not have been the brief that was given by MS/Asobo.

4 Likes

The BR one has the best idle audio of any engine anywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I second what others said about the BR Goose regarding the audio. I think it is worth the price just for that :+1:

Let me make one comment regarding the MSFS choice in this regard:

I do not really get why they decided to go for practically identical version cockpitwise as the payware BR Goose. They could have taken the opportunity to bring us more modern cockpit as the Goose in FSX - with VOR and ADF for some old school navigation.

Missed opportunity and a great pity in my view.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t even like seeing the MS goose next to my BR one in the menu.

1 Like

BR wins. And yeah, it has a hidden 430 and if you have the hardware or know the keystrokes, autopilot functionality as well. Sounds better. Flys better. Has more liveries.

The other Goose is interesting and moderately fun, but the BR Goose is one of my all time favorites and that hasn’t changed after getting the new one.

1 Like

My guess is that MS/Asobo had no idea the BR rendition existed. I believe they said they they decided to put the Porter in the sim not knowing there were two different payware Porters announced at that point. For whatever reason, the Asobo development team doesn’t seem to pay much attention at all to what’s being done by third parties.

2 Likes

They were just adding planes to the sim that had been included in prior versions so folks have a better selection of stock planes to fly. And the Goose has been included in prior versions.

1 Like

Wasn’t the Albatross a default aircraft for some version of the sim?

It was, but it also had an updated cockpit. Even had a digital EGT I think. The OzX Goose is a very nicely done conversion of it, and still the best option if you want one with a pseudo-modern cockpit in some ways: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

Edit: The FSX model (and the OzX conversion) also have retracting wing floats.

1 Like

I would have loved a retrofit for this Goose, and it really would have made a difference for me. I love classic planes, but I also believe these days you need some modern gear inside to properly fly within our modern air traffic system.

I really appreciate it when devs give us both a classic option and a retrofit update. The Beaver and DC-3 both nailed this aspect.

If I am flying for 2-3 hours, you better believe there are times when I really could use the autopilot.

not everyone is committed to buying 3rd party addon aircraft for the sim - I think that factors into MSFS/Asobo’s decisions in these matters, rather than complete ignorance or disregard for the outside developers’ projects…although nothing can really be ruled out I suppose

1 Like

It’s funny that there was already a freeware Goose ànd a payware Goose, and yet they decided to add another. Unfortunately, this latest one does not blow the earlier geese out of the water to my mind, so I deleted it, it just did not add anything. They could have done an Albatross or a Mallard instead, that would have been fun… even better, a Duck!

2 Likes

Shame this thread wasn’t ‘Goose vs Goose vs Goose’ (or just ‘Geese’!)

1 Like

Yeah, as an owner of the BR Goose I will just do the same.

Though I suppose the MS version made happy those simmers who did not buy the BR one.

1 Like

Deleted the free one, BR’s all the way

Big Radial sounds are excellent and flies very well. Also it gets a toilet and a fishing Rod. The SU11 version is decent though but it’s BR for me all the way.