Gpt atc

How great would this be? A little bit of Cortana speech recognition sent to GPT would allow for so much more than you could ever fit into a menu. Here’s a little test i did in chatgpt. It only got one response wrong, (it said what the pilot should have said when at 3000ft, so i just read that back)

Maybe I’m just getting old, but what the actual heck? It just knows how to talk like a controller?

Chat GPT knows everything that’s public on the Internet up to 2021.
It’s pretty impressive… Its significance is comparable to the birth of the Internet.

1 Like

I’m gonna stay in the “this scares me” camp for a bit until we can get enough data to analyze its accuracy. The reason it scares me is because it sounds accurate, but who knows on what rails it’s running. And how do we not only identify, but challenge that accuracy when the time comes? Of course, kinda moot in the sim, but jeez.

That’s the thing with it… there are no rails.
It will very confidently give you bad information at very random times.
As it stands today, it cannot be trusted.

But just like the Internet on day one, things improve quickly.

5 Likes

No rails or all the rails? I suppose that’s six of one, half dozen of the other.

But I agree with your assessment.

It doesn’t know. It merely parrots based on a really big list of words. There are some really big limitations that folks are about to discover. I’m guessing it can’t handle sequencing, and then interfacing with actual airspace rules might be a huge task. Or deviating off “the script”, it’ll probably get weird.

That said, it might be a really useful tool for an application this where 95% of the communication is just following scripted procedure, but it’s not the miracle I think folks are making it out to be.

2 Likes

While Microsoft is investing big time in OpenAI (Creator of GPT Chat), others like Google and Facebook are entering the race as well with their own offerings.

Interesting future ahead!

That’s my take as well. But like we all seem to be observing, it sounds like it knows what it’s doing and that’s all we need. /s

I may start calling it ChatDunningKruger, if that’s alright with y’all. ChatDK for short.

Uncanny danged valley we’re hiking into…

1 Like

It might be able to do sequencing given the appropriate information. If it gets a regular update over the location of each aircraft, it’s possible it might be able to keep up with it. It would be a very expensive task to compute though.

2 Likes

I doubt ChatGPT could ever be a viable ATC system, but an AI-based ATC system that learns from the real ATC data available is plausible, though it would need a ton of training. Creating something that could listen in to live ATC and learn based on that is not too far away from the bounds of current possibility. GPT is a general language model so can’t be really used for this, but work on specific machine learning models coupled with language model interfaces is definitely going on.

I’m sure it’ll be practical sooner than we think. But I wouldn’t trust my life to such a system in the real world any time soon!

2 Likes

it might! i asked it to also consider some imaginary fedex planes around Memphis. I suppose it would be more accurate if i gave it accurate positions at each step. but not too bad:

Interesting concept which is completely new to me. I’m a bit like CharlieFox00 - sceptical. How would it function in say Australia or Europe where terminology and accents are radically different to the USA.

I don’t think the lawyers will allow anything open source to go in to the base sim for licencing reasons.

If it’s on the Internet, it knows about it!

That’s a lot of money to spend on something and have your lawyers tell you you cant use it.

from linked article:

The move, which Microsoft and OpenAI announced on Monday, will allow Microsoft to deploy GPT-3, the service that the generative AI chatbot ChatGPT is based on, and other platforms across its various cloud-based services.

I’d say that MSFS is one of their ‘cloud based services’.

While it gets the phraseology correct, it’s still just blurting out random phrases that makes no sense. It looks allright, but it has no practical meaning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does right now… It won’t in the future.
Things like this change and improve very quickly over time.

So, hypothetically, sure. You could in theory train it to respond to different scenarios, but that information is not available in the format ChatGPT could interpret yet. That’s the same kind of problem they are looking into IRL for automation of flight control services. But in the future, absolutely. Although it’s a… scary thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

Other way could be to make it respond to default MSFS ATC scenarios or more advanced Pilot2ATC for example, and have it work out the proper phraseology, that would be kinda cool.

Will be very interesting to see what OpenAI can accomplish in the years ahead.

If there was some way Asobo could upload our flight plans to it so it knows where we going then that would be doable. I’m hoping the new ATC system, whenever it comes out, uses some sort of AI.

1 Like