GPU Overheating

For the love of all that’s holy. Turn your fans to MAX when using MSFS!
Play in a sub-zero environment! With penguins!

2 Likes

I have an Asrock RX 6900 XT which is fine when not in VR, but when using VR it goed into the 90’s Celsius! Windows then shuts MSFS down.

First of all I set Manual Tuning of my GPU fans for MSFS 2020 as a Game Profile. So not a ‘Global’ profile to prevent high fan rpm when not really necessary.
Second I went into my BIOS and discovered that my CPU fan was set PWM in SMART mode, but not my 4 CASE fans! They were set to DC and thus a static (low) rpm. I switched them to PWM and smart based on the CHIPSET TEMP.

This helped a little but the above suggested Radeon CHILL mode FPS reduction (min 40 - max 60) and especially setting Voltage to 1100 really worked.

Max. 70°C in VR now!

Thanks very much people.

I’m on a 2080 Super and had 2 crashes to desktop with a warning about possible GPU overheating since SU12. Never had them before in 2 years ive been playing.

Have the same issue after the gpu driver update /su12

1 Like

I waited and did the update yesterday, i left it going and came back an hour later to find it on the main screen and the fans in the PC running like a jet engine, never had this before.

It’s 12900K & 3080ti rig.

I had to go out so shut down and now dread starting up again…

1 Like

And this is why I never get excited about world/service updates anymore. Always two steps forward and three steps back it seems. Just had my third gpu warning crash and I was 3/4 of the way through a trans-Atlantic crossing. I just give up with this game and the sheer amount of time and data that seems to be lost when playing it. I’ll come back in a month or two and see if there’s any improvements. Till then, :raising_hand_man:

I assume you mean these main topic here:

Check the latest reports from users about problem with latest nvidia driver.

I’m not prepared to waste even more time sifting though various threads on here or Nvidia. I found this thread and so I commented on it as have others.

Thanks anyway

no problem… was just only a hint how you can easy avoid the popup and so we also know who is really responsible that you get the popup. You can also ignore the popup ( move it in a corner and not press ok ) and msfs will not shutdown … so you should can at least end the flight.

PS: if you played msfs two years without problems, as you mentioned, and then getting instand a worst feeling about msfs with the first crash, something seems also strange :laughing:

At least two other people commented around my post with the very same problem. But you chose to single out my post with your passive-aggressive trolling? Hmm… I wonder what it was that compelled you to do that?

Anyhow, maybe READ my comment again regarding how long I went without any issues, but this time a little more carefully. Then maybe you won’t be so tempted to think my post is a lie or some sort of conspiracy.

Enjoy your Sunday.

don’t understand your point: I point you to the solution , how you can fix the problem which come possible toghther with the nvidia driver update and have seemingly nothing to do with

And because at the moment all points to a driver issuue, this was the situation for you:

Another user gave you the similar hint:

Wish you same nice sunday and with another nvidia driver hopefully next two years without a CTD in MSFS.

I never said I’ve never had a crash to desktop in the two years I’ve been playing. I said I’ve never had these specific messages/crashes in the two years I’ve been playing and for four months prior to the NZ update, the game was running the smoothest I’ve ever experienced.

You didnt offer any solution. You offered a fudge, which in itself didnt work as I’ve just tried it moments ago. There’s no way to ignore or hide the warning window. It can’t be moved and clicking OK or closing it via X, causes the frozen game to shut down.

What point? I’m not here to make any point. I seen a thread where others had the same problem as me and I commented accordingly. Yet you chose to single out my comment in a vain effort to try and debunk it for some bizzare reason. Maybe instead of just replying for the sake of it, wanting to be noticed as a genius and/or have the last word like a juvenile, you could actually READ the comment you have an issue with next time before trying to needing to pick it apart or offering useless “solutions” to make you sound more knowledgeable than you actually are?

It’s Sunday, kindly go find something else to do or someone else to bug please and leave me alone.

Thank you.

we discussed that point in this moment in the linked other topic with a another users. For him is the popup also modal and he can not use the workaround to end the flight ( “…so you should can at least end the flight.”).

But the main solution is not to ignore the popup, the main problem seems the new nvidia driver and going back one release fix that for many users.

And again: why I pointed to the other topic is your report about:

and I point to a topic where users speak about these popup and not about this topic is, where a user with an AMD ask about:

Dont know what you allways mean with with the sentences like that I attack you ( so far I can understand your posts with my english level ). Therefore I think I end here. I tried what I can that you get all infos so that you not necessarly need to make a break from msfs, more I cant do.

You’re making zero sense and just wasting more of my time at this point. Please, I’m not interested in anything more you have to say. Kindly just drop it and leave me alone.

Thanks

1 Like

Im starting to have the same issue :frowning: RTX4090! :scream: LOL

Just wanted to say have never seen this error before and my RTX3060 runs under 60% and very low temps, basically have four fans blowing onto the card from the side.

yep,… as mentioned: follow the topic I have linked.

Additional are in meanwhile some parallel topics about the driver crash when dx12 is used, and a FAQ.

Example with links:

1 Like

Thanks, have dropped my GPU Tweak setting one notch to see if it happens again currently at 45FPS, 70% load and 55c.

It crashed again so flipped over to DX11, will wait until this is resolved to go back to DX12.