Graphic card for VR

I know, I’ve tweaked a lot and I’m getting ca. 35-40 FPS depending on context and that’s OK, but not outstanding. What are you getting?

Might try again with the new version. Every past attempt was with horrible artifacts.

I have a rtx 3060ti card and a HP Reverb G2. Very satisfied with the VR performance!

I wouldn’t expect the the 4000 series cards to be a giant leap up from the 3000 series. There also needs to be a significant leap in CPU power before VR is across the board a far better experience than it is now.

I still think most of the work needs to be done by Asobo actually optimising VR better but I don’t think thats going to happen as long VR user numbers are incredibly low, which they clearly are.

Really? Ive seen speculations that it will be around +50%.

Since SU5, FS high res (G2 etc.) VR is highly GPU bottlenecked since they optimized the CPU usage a fair amount.

1 Like

Yeah but there’s always clickbait articles saying that sort of thing in the run up to new GPU’s coming out. There wasn’t a huge leap up between the 1000 and 2000 series cards. The 3000 series was a big leap up but given the global situation and ongoing silicon shortage I have my doubts Nvidia are suddenly going to release a new line of GPU’s that are a massive leap up from the 3000 series.

Good luck getting one regardless.

At least the miners will be happy :nauseated_face:

Can confirm. HUGE performance increase

1 Like

not really, the performance per watt is nearly the same if you take Turing/Ampere .

In other words, my 420watt TRex has the same performance as a 3090 on Stock in VR,
the 400watt 2080ti kingpin is nearly identical to the 3080FE :wink:

I thought the 3070 outperformed the 2080ti for a lot less money?

Can’t say I noticed any difference with my 3080 and 5600X. With MR on I’m stuck at 22FPS no matter what I do.

Only in a handfull dlss games. In VR, against a OCed 2080ti, no way

Ampere 3070 OCed

Turing OCed

I have an I7 9th Gen with 32GB and a 1070ti. I have to turn down ALOT just to get it running smooth at 30fps on a Quest 2. Wishing for an RTX for Christmas.

There is definitely something odd here…

With my 2080 Ti, I’m really pleased with my performance in VR. I’m getting great fps in the G2 (45+fps x 2 with motion smoothing), of course, graphical settings are set at reasonable levels between medium-high and between OpenXR motion smoothing and in-game render settings, which I’m achieving around native resolution - and the experience is butter-smooth.

…but I’m constantly hearing RTX 3080 users, in particular, complain about performance in MSFS. I don’t understand why? Does spending that much money on a GPU raise graphical expectations of what’s reasonable or are the RTX 3000 series drivers really bad?

I just can’t believe that you can’t get a smooth experience with an RTX 3080 in MSFS but of course, it’s easy to have some external application, DLC or setting ruin everything.

1 Like

What do I know but to me that suggests the 3070 would perform better in MSFS with an equally powered cpu.

But where do you get that though? In what sorts of planes, at what altitudes and in what locations? There are so many variables.

It must be the latter. I use 70% headset resolution with 70% sim render scale. All sim settings set to medium and I’m locked to 22FPS with MR on. Its not anywhere near what I would call smooth, unless I’m flying at about 10000 feet.

I would love to buy a rtx 3080ti. Unfortunately they are around 1800usd where I live.

So im gonna wait for the 4000 gen which Hopefully comes out next year.

Until then I stick with my 1080ti…

I’m not sure about that. There are at least 120,000,000 steam users, “just under” 2% are active vr users, that’s 2.4 million vr users.
Msfs had sold over 2 million by xmas 2020 (couldn’t find stats newer than that (didn’t look too hard)), assuming 2% are vr users that’s 40,000. But i reckon its far more than 2 million sold now and with msfs i suspect its higher than 2% vr user base as flight sims and vr go together really well.

@G3YTI i think you’re in the uk? You can get alerts to your computer/phone/whatever with the downloadable app “Telegram” that tell you when sought after gpu’s are in stock at normal prices. Download Telegram & sign up (its free), google “telegram FE part alert”, follow the instructions.

Then just wait for the alerts and be quick when you get them. I got an RTX 3080TI FE this way.

I can confirm that the new Open XR Developer Tool version (along with the latest WMR app version) is very much improved when using motion reprojection (set to always on). I never used to use it due to the prop wobble and artifacting, but now I use it all the time and it’s great. I just set OpenXR to 80% and in-game render to 100% and then also lowered my Terrain and Object LODs to 100 (from 200 which was causing main thread limited CPU bottlenecking and a lot of studdering) and it’s very smooth and also clear in the cockpit and outside, the best I have had so far by far. Rest of my settings are medium (except cockpit refresh on high). I also agree that the 30xx cards still are not enough power to really drive a G2 headset at full resolution and anything above about 40 fps even with a 3090, thus motion reprojection really helps (for me) to get to 60 using 60hz mode and it’s great. VR is so darn heavy in this sim that even with a very expensive computer it’s a game of compromises and tweaking every time Microsobo releases another version and changes something that impacts visual performance. I’m running an i9 10900k and a 3090 and will have to start saving back up for a 40xx card in like 2023 when they might be available at prices less than a used car :slight_smile:

1 Like

öhhm, the 9900k has more power then the 7700k :wink: ( 2% Singlecore)
(at this test, both cpus are running with 5.0 GHz - the testtool shows only stock)