Graphic card for VR

CPU, GPU balance under the most extreme conditions.

This should be the mantra of every user struggling with tweaking MSFS. 2D or VR makes no difference. The process is the same.

Find the location you fly that puts the most strain on your system and causes you the most difficulties. Start by setting your resolution to your display’s native resolution then scale it down to standard 1080p. Adjust the CPU heavy settings like LOD so that your primary core is down to about 50%-60%.Don’t forget about all those sliders for rhinos, buses and ferries, not to mention all the annoying vehicles running around on the taxiways. They have a huge hit on the CPU. Adjust textures and other GPU heavy settings to get your graphics card running at about 80%.

You should be pounding out your max frame rates and be smooth as glass at this point. Ignore the sharpness and detail. Not important right now. Now you can start ramping up your scaling toward your native resolution. A bit at a time. Do Not allow your GPU to break 95%. You can make some trade offs now. Want to take res a bit higher? Dial back textures or effects. This stage is all about compromise. I don’t care what your system configuration is. You can’t have it all.

During this process, keep in mind that you are tuning for worst case scenario here. Go fly over the Sahara in a 152 and you will have far better performance than right now. Your target is to get the best trade between performance and visuals without loading the primary core beyond 75% and the GPU beyond 95%. Keep an eye on VRAM as well. You really want to leave some headroom there as well.

When done. Write down your settings. A hardware change or an update to the sim itself can change some of the load. A code change, for instance, on how the LOD is handled under the surface, may mean some adjustments will be needed.

Bottom line here is that pushing ANY single component to the maximum increases the risk that there will be a hiccup at some point. This can result in anything from dropped frames or micro stutters all the way to total system crash. ALWAYS adjust your system load to leave some headroom for those inevitable background tasks or terrain mesh code glitches. If your system has the headroom to handle the unforeseen without taking resources away from your flying, you will have a much smoother flight.

4 Likes

You forgot the clouds. Volumetric Clouds on Ultra booze performance as if I were drinking my coffee for breakfast.

1 Like

Yeah maybe. Asobo will have the exact figures. It’ll all be closely monitored I’m sure. Although the sim has sold 2 million copies the amount of people who regularly play it on a daily or weekly basis will be a lot, lot less than that. So again with VR its about the amount of people who regularly use VR and my guess is its really not a lot. Its pretty clear anyway from those development updates that VR is really not high on Asobo’s priority list.

Look for the sales of the Reverb G2, I guess 90% only bought it for FS. Then add another 30% (or better 60%, forgot the quest2) for other HMDs, and we can guess how many there are.

Ok I usually run with 70% OpenXR and 85% Render scaling with settings medium/high. I changed this to 70% Render scaling and loaded up the Robin in London City with Orbx landmarks and London City DLC.

As you can see I’m getting 30 fps. Apologies for the screenie - used windows sniping tool to capture which lost a frame or two. Anyway, with a slower GPU, I got higher frames. Of course, if you’re in airliners that could be it? Still, London is a busy area but my traffic is cut back to around 20%.

1 Like

I just ordered the reveb g2, can you share your settings??

How does it run. I have an amd 5900 with a gt1080ti

Thanks in advance

Ouch ! 1080ti right in the rib, you should have bought a graphic card first.

Btw, they are plenty of other games to play in VR

I just ordered the Reverb G2 V2 also, but as per reviews the Verjo Aero is going to blow the G2 out of the water, yes I know, higher price tag and lighthouse and controllers will be an even extra expense (Total somewhere near the $3000) but if you want that clarity, it seems that the VR unit to get.

I have an i7 8700 and a 1080ti and it works really, really well.

Look for a used one that you can find at a good price.

Yeah for sure - or at least I sure am hoping. Have had one on pre-order since day of announcement. Thankfully I already have the Lighthouse 2.0 system and Controllers that came with my Index. I used them with the Vive Pro 2 also so getting good use out of them.

1 Like

Why upgrade a htv vive pro 2 when you still can’t use it at 120hz ultra(htc console) with full FoV steam option and full SS ? I don’t get what you will gain if you have fully exploited your current hardware ?

I’m missing something?

To recall ultra is 2448×4086 @120hz.

Until there and full ultra game and 500% SS I don’t understand why change

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.