Graphics settings changes after updates? Why do I have to lower my settings every update?!

Seems like after the last 3 or 4 major updates (World or Sim) I have to reduce various render quality settings to get back to the frame rates I was before. But while this is maddening, I do have to say it seems like the visual quality doesn’t get as bad as I’d expect??

Is Asobo just moving the goal posts? Is the Ultra from before several update now the same as high or medium? Is 50 terrain quality now the same as 80 or 100 was before updates?

Everyone (including myself) screams bloody murder that their fps is taking a hit after updates, but perhaps it’s more Asobo is changing how these number/settings are used?

Just a theory. Anyone else thought this might be possible?

2 Likes

Honestly I have no clue but this last round I’ve regained stability and thus allowed a bit more my overclock to return.

Normally I’d have more insight as I’ve been an alpha, beta, please check this out before we go live kind of tester but we’re in an odd place here with X-Box/DX-12 implementation looming.

The question as to just what we are hashing out here to make that better is all we can ask at this point.

I’m don’t know anything for sure, but sure seems like they are making the highest setting higher quality? The mix of high and ultra I was using months back simply crawls now. But now with a mix of medium and high I think it’s basically acting like it did back then?

Ah, well, I got a new blazing CPU and SSD, now I just need to save up some more on a motherboard and RAM. Maybe with a modern high end CPU I want have to CONSTANTLY worry about and mess with my settings? I hope??

I hear you loud and clear.

Recently, after tossing another $600+ (3060 vidcard and a ■■■■ PSU for too much TY NewEgg Shuffle)

My system
Z390-9900k @ 5.2ghz
64gb 3600 RAM
RTX 3060 12gb
Windows and Flight Sim on there own NVME
Settings full Ultra @ 5760x1080
All players/live traffic/live weather

Since I’m on the Windows beta thing and running fairly high end I’ve taken to putting all the settings as a random would aside from my overclock and Intel bios settings, I have GPU acceleration on, XBox Game ■■■■ and everything else short of nVidia Experience and it’s running pretty darned well however slow.

That is to say, the game is running very smoothly

Frame rate Gatwick to Cambridge UK on a cloudy evening their time, Max of 27fps but a low of 16 or so

Do you use the dev mode FPS widget? Curious if you are CPU or GPU bound when you get drops to 16fps. I wouldn’t guess you’d dip that low for long with your specs. That’s worrisome. I’m really hoping drops below 24fps will be rare with my new system. I mostly stay over 15fps on my 10 year old PC, but it does have a 3080, however I do run 3840x2160. I’m almost always CPU limited when I’m below 30fps. The only times I’m GPU limited is when I’m in sparse enough scenery to be hitting 45-60fps. Low over dense urban areas are where I run 15ish, well 12-18fps in those places unless I’m 1000ft or more. And nice detailed airports knock me down to those low numbers too. So landing is challenging at large airports.

When I manage to get the funds to finish my new build, it’ll be Ryzen 5900x on a Asus B550-Creator, 64GB (probably ECC), EVGA RTX-3080 FTW3, 2TB WD Black NS850. And eventually I’ll get a second NVMe to put MSFS and various data on. And I’ll take a few 1TB SATA SSD from my current system and add a big spinning disk to back up all the SSDs to and hopefully have room for more storage.

If MSFS can’t run at good frame rates on that system with a mix of high and ultra settings? I may lose all hope. At least if a DX12 update comes out and doesn’t help considerably.

I have a similar system to what you’re describing. Most of the time, I can get good FPS (low 50s-90s), but it’s not perfect. It depends on a variety of factors. If there’s a cert plane/airport combination you want me to test, I’d be happy to do so and report back here.

Your system is like the one I’m building? Or like Salem’s 9900k machine?

If I can stay around 50-60fps most of the times and have my slow downs grind down to 24fps or better, I’ll be a happy camper! Make that an overjoyed camper! And ideally minimal stuttering, smoothness is about as important as raw average fps.

If you want to test for science, what do you get flying low over Manhattan or Paris?

My system is:

i9 10900
3080 RTX
32GB RAM

So perhaps a little weaker than your target machine.

I’ll test Manhattan (I used to live there, would love to revisit :slight_smile: ) – Which plane would you like me to test in? The jets destroy FPS on my machine with avionics, while something like a Savage performs well.

Test results.

Plane: Savage Cub
Area: Manhattan (coming in from Newark, pass statue of liberty, all the way to empire building and beyond)
FPS: 60-65 (in cockpit), 60-65 third person

Interesting. Thanks for testing!

So, I managed to bite the bullet and I replaced my motherboard/CPU/RAM. So now I’m running a Ryzen 5900x and the fast 2TB WD Black SSD. In general this machine screams. It’s SO much faster in general. I only got it up and running last night late. And by the time I got MSFS all installed and such I had no time to test anything well. MSFS or Steam or however these things get changed, kept (most of) my settings I had from the last install, but it changed all my quality settings to Ultra. I figured it’d be too slow even for my new ample CPU. So I figured I’d at least see how it ran at those settings. I took off out of SFO and really only flew a few minutes because it was REALLY late at that point and I’m working today. I was pretty ■■■■ impressed. It was down to 24ish fps at the airport, but smooth and very useable. These settings look fantastic!!! I’d be stuttering down in the teens with my old CPU. I quickly slewed over to a rural mountain area and was getting 50s, into 60s at times. So, I’m a very happy camper! but I will start playing with settings over dense urban areas and see if I can get those to stay 30+ fps.

I’ll let ya know!!!

And what graphics settings were you using over Manhattan?

I’ll get that for you next time I am in the sim. It was a mixture of HIGH/ULTRA with LODs set to 100.

1 Like

You are so ■■■■ correct!!!

You agree that you have to lower your quality settings after many of the updates to keep the same fps?

But do you also feel the lower settings look better than they did several updates ago?

I didn’t have too much time to test last night, but overall the new hardware solves all my low fps when the SIM is in it’s default state with no add ons, with mostly ultra, but some things high and a few things turned off, like lens flairs, I was keeping 30-35+ over Manhattan! Amazing!

BUT with my Community folder restored completely from my last install on the other hard drive performance became pretty bad. Just as bad in some cases as when I was on my previous 10 year old CPU???!!! Flying over CYVR with the FSimStudios airport loaded and a mega pack of airline liveries I swear it was slower than before the last Sim Update and my CPU upgrade??!!! I removed a dozen or so add ons I rarely if ever use and removed the mega pack, which is sad, because it gave the airliners at CYVR more realistic paint jobs, Air Canada, etc. But after that flying over CYVR was 30+ fps, so the FSimStudios CYVR was not the problem.

BUT the problem where it takes forever or simply never exits out of a flight and I have to kill MSFS has returned. The file that caused it before is not installed, the files in the community directory did not cause this problem before the Sim.Update and my CPU upgrade and fresh install. WHY DOES IT TAKE ANY TIME AT ALL TO EXIT A FLIGHT NO MATTER WHAT IS IN THE COMMUNITY FOLDER!!! WHAT IS IT >>>DOING!!!<<< THAT TAKES SO LONG. It shouldn’t take a lot of CPU or disk access to END a flight??! I don’t care what add ons are loaded. MSFS should be smart enough not to let any add on cause problems like this. SO INFURIATING. I removed all the working title stuff (GX and G1000), the G3000 was what was causing this before the last WU. But that didn’t help. SO I’ll have to spend an entire afternoon slowly figuring out which add ons are causing this problem. Maddening. So DUMB! Asobo really needs to make some kind of add on checker to look at each add on in the Community folder and make sure none are malformed and likely to cause issues. But like I said, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES I CAN IMAGINE >>>EXITING<<< A FLIGHT SHOULD TAKE MORE THAN A MINUTE. All it has to do is release the memory used and and go back to the initial state it was before the the flight? There is no huge computing or storage tasks that it should be doing on exit, with no add ons or thousands it should never take more than second to a minute to exit a flight!!! OK, rant over. For the moment!

Aha. Well instead of reading your rant about some (addon?) exit flight issue (??), I would find it far more interesting to hear from you which of your other addons caused a drop in frame rate from 30 to 10 ? Did you succeed in pinpointing the issue ?

Dream on. They can’t. MSFS allows addons to add CPU and GPU load, that is why e.g. your favorite FSimStudios exists. Imho the responsibility for lags or loss of Fps is with some third party developer in this case, who wrote the addon that “did it”. Not Asobo/MS. There is no way to reliably measure how much CPU/GPU an addin takes. And you dont want to be up 20.000 feet when MSFS would want to stop your addin because it is “disbehaving”. The developer of the addin should make sure that it does not cause high loads ! keep its CPU consumption under 10% preferably.

Well, maybe you should read the rant, that’s an irrelevant question at this point, as would be known to you if you glanced over the rant. I won’t get to do thorough testing until the weekend. When I pinpoint the problematic add ons I’ll certainly say so in this thread.

Don’t reply until you’ve at least done a quick read of the post. Because it’s clear you are making some incorrect assumptions. None of the delay I’m speaking about has anything to do with flying in the sim. It’s only AFTER flying once I’ve exited the flight and I’m looking at the Cessna over the mountains screen and the blue bar gets to the end and then it just sits there, very little load on the CPU or GPU, task manager does not show, “Not responding”, the music keeps playing, but it never exits. I have to kill the program and restart.

If MSFS will let an add on hang up their program at a point when the add ons ARE NOT BEING USED, yes, that IS an Asobo problem. That’s just bad software design or coding.

I read your rant. And I cited you… your text…

… which is of course bogus. Third party developers should solve their own issues before releasing something. And when some addon causes issues after an MSFS update, third parties should release updates for it ! MSFS 2020 cannot check “likely to cause issues” because MSFS has no cristal ball at load time. It will just load the image and initialize it. When it is malformed, it does not load, ok… But when it “likely causes issues” you are fried… and the maker of the product should solve your issue. MSFS will not be adjusted to addons, it is the other way around.

Well, we’re just going to disagree. If an add on hasn’t caused any major problem while loading scenery and flying in it, but then MSFS just freezes forever at a point when it just needs to return to it’s default state???

That’s not just an add on problem, that’s a flaw in the software design.

Do I wish commerical developers and particularly the unpaid community developers who’s add ons tend to cause more problems would improve the quality of their add ons to not cause these things?? Of course!!! But I do computer graphics for a living and some graphics applications crash and freeze often if a script or plugin, or data file is less than ideal. Other ones, the ones I like using are robust and not only don’t crash or freeze forever when plugins or data isn’t ideal, they help you debug those issues!!

If MSFS was hanging while an add on was being loaded or being used, I’d be more forgiving. But on exiting the flight, all it should be doing beyond writing a tiny bit of data to record the flight’s time, starting point, end point, etc. is ending any extra processes and loading the main screen again. It shouldn’t be accessing, using any add ons at that point, or especially crashing/freezing due to anything external to the main program itself when simply closing the flight and loading it’s main user interface again.

It takes two to tango. You should direct your complaint to the developer of the addin as well. Why does it only happen with that addin ? MSFS should not crash, we agree on that, but apparently the addin does cause the issue. It must be solved on both sides. MSFS is not a standard library like .NET which they took 15 years to fine tune. You can’t expect MSFS to always keep stable with any addin. MSFS opened up specific actions for third party developers. You’re very lucky they don’t allow DLL’s ! The CTD’s I saw sofar were clean exits. I could restart MSFS without problem, no memory leaks… with errors in DLL’s your PC would go into reboot and find some invalid state on returning, and worst case you find yourself reinstalling Windows.

Why would a state change like end-of-flight be less code or less riskfull than the load stage ? When invalid memory is released by the addon, all kinds of unpredictable things could happen. You have the MSFS source code ? You have the addin source code ? What is the basis of this claim of yours, that only MS/Asobo is to blame for your CTD ?