Ground texture - Low resolution - Internet incorrect Bandwidth

have you tried setting your LOD to 600, I dont get spiky building on that, but it does use 11GB vram and up to 25GB ram

It has to be a server issue because for me it seems like like day to day my sim textures are changing. Some days the sim looks amazing, other days it looks awful.

My settings remain the same and so does my bandwidth so it has to be a server issue. I assume with so many people flying at one time the servers are getting hammered.

1 Like

I am so glad you said this, thought I was going crazy. Today/Tonight, the sim is constantly lagging and very jittery (w/ an RTX 2080 Ti)… it’s super annoying.

I’m flying Afghanistan now. same here.

how can we get the proper water textures??? is this still an unresolved bug?

since day one never saw any water lagoon like the preview videos… frustrating…

not perfect. but It’s really way better than before. Thanks.

HI guys and gals.
I am having the exact same issue! everything set on Ultra, deleted rolling cache and even manual as they dont seem to make any difference. 100mb line, msfs using maybe 4mb.
No cap set.

The funny thing is, it looked SO much better on my previous install. formatted my pc, and poof, quality to the tank, even whilst it saves all your settings in the cloud.
Really at the end of my rope with this crappy quality.

I came over a discussion the other day where they were talking about bandwidth provided to stream Bing data, and the costs of doing so to the customers. It eventually ended saying that they must have lowered the bandwidth or along those lines. Maybe it looks worse simply because we cant stream the same quality data anymore. Its probably not the case though… There are for sure HUGE differences in quality in various places. India textures are horrible compared to most of Europe, I assume its different source of sattelite imagery.

They talked about it and some places are given a bit of love, but you would need to go to photogammatry places to find fauna and water lagoons. Try Nassau, or Florida. Some places tho have it because the satellite imagery was good enough for them to find the “depth”. But most places they forced the waters deep so it turned dark blue :slight_smile: Hope it makes some sense.

I think I saw the same post but I don’t quite agree. Streaming a terabyte of data doesn’t cost MS anywhere near what they’re charging their Azure customers obviously, and certainly not so much that they would ruin the graphics intentionally this soon after the release. Remember, they’re thinking of this as a platform, meaning they intend to make a lot of money from percentages of marketplace sales in the next ten years.

My pet theory is that they set a bandwidth cap in some config file on the server that was plenty for the early access folks, and then forgot to change that on release day where the amount of data streamed multplied by, dunno, ten thousand?

2 Likes

You can scroll up two posts for my amswer which talks about this. I cannot understand the argument about “Azure bandwidth doesn’t cost Microsoft as much as it does their customers.” I think this an irrelevant point, since again, the less bandwidth they afford to you, the more profits they make. Even if you calculate how much Azure BW costs for their customers, 60$ doesn’t exactly get you much at all. And that is only the price of the game, which has to have a profit margin for Asobo too. Basic Azure bandwidth costs 80$/TB, and even if Microsoft would be paying only 10% of that (it is likely closer to 50-100x less), it is still a significant cost, especially when you consider people could be streaming the multiple terabytes of data for multiple years.

Now imagine even 2$/BW cost per player per year * 5 million active players * 5 years (remember, this is going to be an Xbox release too) - That is 50 million$ just in bandwidth. Just halving the BW transferred could be 10 points extra profit margin for the “platform”, if we think 250 million development and running cost for the game.

Remember, Microsoft’s gross profit margin is 60%, and they wouldn’t commit to a project that would be expected to make single digits.

The issue is countries like India restrict high resolution satellite imagery due to security concerns which is why a lot of regions in the sim especially in Asia have poor ground textures.

1 Like

I personally believe the bandwidth is been throttled and/or lower resolution textures are been streamed to the sim. Day to day my textures look different and I also think the time of day you fly makes a big different. If I’m flying right now during peak hours (based in Vancouver) I bet my textures won’t look as good as when I fly at midnight.

2 Likes

what kind of hit do your frames take as a result?

Interesting idea. can you say something about the times when you think the quality is the best?
Because I am in Europe and I’m not sure which timezone is most active

USA is normally king but has bad internet

Europe comes second but has bad internet

Asia comes third but has faster internet afaik

So I don’t really now which part of the day is best. Maybe when Europe is the active timezone, ca 6 to 0pm GMT??

Keep an eye on the options in the geforce experience if you have that installed. Mine had modified the “optimal” settings to low while in the game it was still showing as ultra. 2080ti and it set it to low.

That was on a paid version of the game but on another PC with the game pass version there is no ability to modify the settings in gefore experience.

yeah drop a few fps (20%) and uses max vram (11Gb) and 27gb system ram, but looks so good
The new 3080/3090/3080ti or Big Navi are going to be great for this Sim :+1:t2:

1 Like

Best results seem to be around midnight PST. Last night I did a fly from LAXa around 1am PST, textures looked amazing and no stutters. I did the same flight about 30 mins ago, stutters and textures don’t look sharp.

I need to do more testing and comparing to see if my theory holds.

3 Likes

Well that would mean it’s midnight in California, the rest of USA sleeps and it’s before midday in Europe. It would make sense, because not many people will play in Europe either before ~5pm, ca 6-7 hours later. This would however still leave the Asians who would be most active during this period. Maybe they are creating the least traffic?

I will try to keep an eye on it and play before noon, if my boss doesn’t mind.

Have you checked your network traffic via taskmanager? When I play, which is usually around 10pm CET (that would be 1pm PST) it normally fluctuates between 0 and 4 Mbit/s.

Managed to find my solution. something mighty stupid! firstly my nvidia control panel was set to performance. secondly my nvidia experience decided to automatically tune it to low.
The combination of the 2 seems to override what ever you set in game, DRASTICLY decreasing quality.