Ground texture - Low resolution - Internet incorrect Bandwidth

LOD setting alone doesn’t affect this very much based on my experience. I changed LOD to 4 and the textures were a bit better but still poor at high altitude. There is something else going on, I suspect from MS server end and trying to save bandwidth. Of course that’s speculation, but that’s what I think.

2 Likes

I have also thought Asobo intentionally doesn’t want to increase draw distance because of their servers. This could be reason why they are ignoring #1 issue for more than half a year.

But in the end, we can just slew around world which will drain their servers or fly with very fast plane has big connection impact.

So I still have no idea, why this most voted issue has not been already fixed months ago.

2 Likes

You know what confuses me the most about this theory? It seems some users don’t have this issue. Some Youtube videos show beautiful textures from high altitude.

1 Like

That’s what is really worrying I’ve watched people like CptCanada and his textures look amazingly beautiful.

1 Like

But that doesn’t explain why some people don’t have this issue with the textures looking terrible at high attitudes, if it was a server issue everyone would probably be complaining, not sure what it could be but just hoping it see improvement by the upcoming world update.

Disagree. It looks the same for everyone. They either just dont care or dont notice it. I personally play on 43 inch monitor and i almost vomit sometimes seeing those pixels

As soon as you dont zoom in or look directly below the plane at ground, its not that noticeable

I dont think its because of MS being worried about servers, flying over photogrammetry cities hogs 15x more data and tubeliner pilots represent minority i believe to say. I think its because of performance, when i leave major airports i have all my vram used on max 10-11 GB even with 100-150 Terrain LOD.

I am also convinced everyone actually has this issue, but majority of people are just ignoring it, don’t care about distant textures, don’t want to waste time on forum,…

Look for example at this screen from UK teaser:

Textures further from pink line are super-ugly. On the left, massive difference can be seen on grey ground, on the right, river is completely blurred into the background and you can no longer tell there’s river. Mountains at the very background don’t need commentary, they looks like created from 5-10 pixels (I mean texture, height map looks alright).

Posted screen is from UK Teaser. Video that Asobo is proud of. Video which was done on ultra details, with perfect bandwidth. And still textures further from plane are ugly, in my humble opinion.

7 Likes

Alright I see then but I’m not sure how people can continue playing like this.

2 Likes

Let’s hope for improvements on this Sim update but I doubt they will do anything.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

Trying to make sense out of an all of a sudden bad graphics problem, especially ground textures. Like many on here are experiencing. Tried the data on off, speedtested connection, graphic settings up down and sideways, zendesk has sent the standard suggestions and tried them all with no sucess as yet. My system is not as high end as some but I have been doing fine with my Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX1060 3 GB I am postings some screenshots that hopefully might twig some thoughts that I have missed in scouring these forums already. Why all of a sudden? Thanks to the community for all the support and dilagence.

Your image was not uploaded correctly, please show us the image so we can see if it’s standard low draw distance radius, or something more. Just drag & drop image file into text box :wink:

I don’t understand why more people aren’t storming the gates over this issue. This is a big flaw. Why do ground textures from high altitude look like something from the year 2006?

1 Like

Your right, should be posted now, worked with your drag and dop suggection vs uploading from the directory. Let me know what you think.

Developer mode? There is some option in menu, cant tell exactly now which, but is responsible for ground textures.

Can it be that its turned off?

Crazy you should pick up on that, my mouse slipped on me while playing not too long ago and clicked something on dev mode. The problem started right about that time. I have scoured dev mode options to see what I might have done to no avail. I am going to did deeper though, good catch, thank you.

Try OPTIONS -> TERRAIN -> Draw on Terrain
if it fixes it for you

1 Like

That was it ! Thanks very much for the assist !

1 Like

Hey, I know this post is older, but I saw it and thought it deserved a reply. Maybe you already know what i’m about to say, and if so, carry on! :slight_smile:

The memory addresses changing on every restart of the sim is an expected behaviour. It’s simply because its a reference to an ephemeral/loaned/temporary address in a memory space allocated by the operating system to FlightSimulator.exe when it starts up. The x0160 is a bit of a red herring - for all practical purposes, predicting the precise address of the LOD setting is not possible in this case ***.

*** there are exceptions to this rule, and there are techniques for “guessing”, but those don’t really apply here.

1 Like

Has anyone found any ways to improve the ground textures?

Some time has passed and #1 voted issue of all time still not fixed after more than half of year, or I am wrong?

5 Likes