Guess where?

That really only leaves the Kuril Islands, but which one? Maybe Kunashir Kunashiri, just north of Hokkaido?

1 Like

Yeah … well, … I’m afraid that story is not true … :grin:

Bayreuth is pronounced “Biroyt” => “Bi” like in Joe “Biden” and “oy” as in Rolls “Royce”.

While Beirut in German is pronounced “Biroot” => like in the “root of all evil”.

The ‘r’ is always pronounced differently in German. There’s no English equivalent I am aware of. Similar to the Spanish “raton”. An English native speaker is always immediately identified because he most likely can’t speak the German ‘r’ - just like many Germans can’t speak the English ‘th’

And that’s the end of my linguistics lesson for today. Thank you for reading it :wink:

2 Likes

It is in the Kuril Islands. Bit sehnsedahamses was a bit quicker.

1 Like

Oh man that was so in the right heading!!! :slight_smile:

Well done @sehnsedahamses :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for the help.

I think it is no wonder how green they are, this islands are not so far north at the same latitude as Switzerland or Seattle.

Here is my next riddle:

Hhrrm, another white mountain??? Clue: Some say it holds an record, some disagree.

3 Likes

Insta-clue! I give this one 7 mins :slight_smile:

1 Like

K2 the worlds 2nd tallest mountain (some say the tallest).

Unfortunately no, it’s not the K2. And he’s not in Asia. Or is it? I think I talk too much…

Yes yes I am well aware of what you’re saying and yes nowadays I know better but then to us green to Germany brits there was practically no difference - especially over the telephone to the ears of a young lady that had never been east or south of Manchester. To quote her exact words “Oooer you don’t want to go there there’s a bloomin war on!” :smile:

1 Like

K2 doesn’t look like that. It’s much prettier. What about, based on that clue, Elbrus?

2 Likes

You are right! In every aspect. I havent fly the Karakorum and cant tell how it looks in msfs but in real its sheer beauty…as well as the caucasus.

(K2 Image borrowed from pakistan weather portal)

I hope we have lenticular clouds someday in the sim.

And of course Elbrus is correct, enjoy your turn!

1 Like

Yay! I will post something within the next 12 hours or so.

Lenticular clouds would be amazing in the sim…. But I want to see wing vortices first…. :slight_smile:

Guess where:

3 Likes

Speaking of flying in the Karakoram (@Theduck38 will appreciate this):

Bear in mind that 3 (and almost 4) of the 14 highest peaks in the world are in that video, and these guys have glided in there from 100 km away, reaching over 7500 metres in altitude in the process and they will then glide back to their starting point… the shot of them doing the flyby of one of the high camps on Broad peak the whole video is epic.

2 Likes

Salton Sea, California?

1 Like

That’s it. Too easy, evidently. Your turn.

1 Like

Well, the lake made it pretty easy, yes. But I don’t mind an easier one from time to time.
The next one shouldn’t be too difficult either.

4 Likes

Lake Orestiada (a.k.a. Lake of Kastoria), Greece

1 Like

Yes, that‘s it. Your turn

2 Likes